Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Historic Arlington

Historic Arlington Arlington is older than you think. Share your memories and historic info here.

Old December 24th, 2015, 11:51 AM
General Manager

Default Arlington Stadiun tribute Video

This aired locally as the Rangers closed out their final season at Arlington Stadium.

Interesting trivia: Someone on Facebook posted that two things from Arlington Stadium are still used today at the current Ballpark. Do you know what they are? (Hint, they came in pairs.)

https://youtu.be/vYVOx0_Ah-U

Last edited by Twisted; December 25th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:45 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Arlington Stadiun tribute Video

I'm pretty sure the foul poles and home plate came from the old stadium, though I imagine they've put a new home plate in since then.
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:08 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
I'm pretty sure the foul poles and home plate came from the old stadium, though I imagine they've put a new home plate in since then.
You nailed it. It's the foul poles. And you may be right about the home plate since tradition is a big thing for some sports teams. A lot of new stadiums and arenas bring something over from the previous venue for good luck. I know the Boston Celtics' parquet floor was originally at the Boston Arena, then moved to the Boston Garden, and later to the Fleet Center until it was finally replaced.
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
And you may be right about the home plate since tradition is a big thing for some sports teams.
Yep, home plate was moved to the Ballpark immediately after the last game at Arlington Stadium. I know because I was there. the last game at Arlington Stadium is one of my all-time favorite sports memories. They pulled it up and Nolan (accompanied by I can't remember who) carried it over sitting on the back of a convertible.

But you're probably right--I can't imagine that it's still the same one.
Old December 30th, 2015, 12:11 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I think Pudge was involved in that procession, which is appropriate since he spend so much time behind the plate. I could be wrong about that memory, though.
Old December 31st, 2015, 07:37 AM
Gold Tag

Ya know, it's funny how memory works. If it's accurate, Wiki says Tom Schieffer, Richard Greene, Tom Vandergriff, and George W. Bush carried the plate over. It doesn't mention a thing about Nolan yet that's how my memory has it. What's more, I thought I remembered Nolan pitching in that game but he didn't--his last game was on September 22 of that year in Seattle; he pulled a ligament and never pitched again. I am, however, accurate in remembering that George Brett hit a single up the middle for his last at bat, so I've got that going for me.

Hmmm, makes me wonder how much I can trust the rest of my memories. I guess that's okay; I like my version better, anyway.
Old January 7th, 2016, 04:10 PM
General Manager

Rangers just announced today that they are taking out the old foul poles and replacing them with wider models before the 2016 season.

They're also putting in a second video board over the offices in left field. Hopefully it can be seen by the people in the Home Run Porch. I had season tickets there and while I loved the reasonable price and the fact that it was always in the shade, it made me crazy that they didn't have another video board that people could see from those seats.
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:47 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Rangers just announced today that they are taking out the old foul poles and replacing them with wider models before the 2016 season.

They're also putting in a second video board over the offices in left field. Hopefully it can be seen by the people in the Home Run Porch. I had season tickets there and while I loved the reasonable price and the fact that it was always in the shade, it made me crazy that they didn't have another video board that people could see from those seats.
You just beat me to that story

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e53540295.html
Old April 4th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Red Tag

Default Globe Life Park update

Tomorrow the Rangers are suppose to break ground on "Texas Live". It will be built on the north side of Lot A. It is supposed to house 6 restaurants, a food court, and a stage with 5,000 seats.

On the new stadium, word is that Frisco is dropping out of the race. Apparently, Dallas is bringing in Mark Cuban to help strengthen Dallas bid. Word is that Arlington is in the lead and that if they win the bid that they will start building the stadium in Lot B at the end of the season. They are going to try and get it done in 4 years and move into it 4 years before the current stadium, 8 years left on the contract currently, ends. It will have a retractable roof.
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:20 PM
General Manager

Retractable roof is a must-have in Texas now. There's no reason not to have it. I refused to go to afternoon games in July and August once we moved out of the lower home run porch. It's near unbearable in the sun at 2:00 in the afternoon.

I think the Dallas city council and county commissioners will never stop trying to line their own pockets or advance their personal agendas enough to get a major deal like that done. It will have to be people like Cuban from the private sector to facilitate a deal that major. While I think the Rangers belong in Arlington and would hate to see them leave (especially do Dallas,) I wouldn't hate the shorter drive if the Rangers do move to Dallas.

Frisco makes no sense. For all the people who bitch about the "long drive" to Arlington, even though it's the most central spot in the metroplex, the drive to Frisco is too far for anyone who doesn't live in Collin County. It'd be great for me (who does live in Collin County,) though.