Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Food Service

Food Service Food Service department discussion

Old June 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Pride. where did it go?

After my visit this weekend to the park, I went away scratching my head. What happened to the pride in Food Service? This thread shows how much pride the Food service staff used to have in the past.

My experiences this weekend were puzzling. I stood at order windows where the employee wouldn't even greet you or even ask you what you'd like to order. They'd stand there, as if taking a minute or two break, before mumbling something that you couldn't hear. You'd have to assume it was time to order. Then the wait began. At one stand, all I ordered was a basket of fries and 3 drinks. You'd have thought that I'd ordered a Thanksgiving turkey for all the speed that went into my order.

I told my wife that I'd fire just about everyone in that stand and work it alone. I know I could, and did run stands more efficiently than that. I ran Gazebo hotdogs and Jerzie Lils by myself or with one cashier. I ran Lemonade stands and Cotton Candy stands by myself. I used to pride myself on getting rid of the line. We all did. At Dry Holes, we'd work like a whirlwind to ditch the seemingly never ending line.

Very few of the food service staff seemed to care whether you were standing there or not. There were a few exceptions. The girls running the Ice Cream Palace (Ben and Jerry's) were quite efficient and friendly. One guy in the morning at the USA food court was nice in getting my coffee. The others I came in contact throughout the day would have rather been anywhere else. They seemed glued to the floor.

Maybe kids don't want to work at SF as much as we did. Maybe Food Service is viewed as no fun. I have no idea.

The experiences I picked up in Food Service (and all of SF employment) have been with me my entire life and color my experiences as a consumer and customer everywhere I go. I see good service and reward it heavily. I've been on that side of the counter. I know what it's like. It can be a wonderful experience. My wife always says "you make your own happiness". Those are words to live by.

Sorry for the rant.. .maybe someone can explain this to me.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old June 26th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Platinum Tag !

Post Mixed review

I think there's definitely been an improvement over the past couple of years in the tone of worker interaction with guests.

On the other hand, I regret to say that I could tentatively second The Other Alan's observations. The service at the restaurant where my boys and I ate supper definitely seemed a bit slow. At one point, I was thinking: Well, even they're waiting for the orders to cook, why don't they go ahead and ring up some of these folks standing in line?
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM
General Manager

I see it all the time too because I mystery shop for SFOT. SFOT gets shopped almost every single day it's open. Not every stand gets hit every day, but I do shop 6 stands each time I'm asked to hit the park. Even if you know I'm there you still won't know what stands I'm gonna shop that day and if I'm even there that day to work or just play. These shops are what we call reveal shops. After I perform the shop I work up the paperwork and score the employee. I mainly look for upsales, but I am also asked to comment on employee/guest interactions too. If the shop is a success the employee AND the supervisor or manager gets a certificate and a $25-50 gift card each. If the shop is not a success, I go back to the stand and advise them then and there what they just missed out on getting! SFOT keeps no secrets from the employees to the fact that SFOT is shopped every day, just the "when and where" is kept quiet. You wouldn't believe how many times a I have to fail a stand....! Just for not asking me if I wanted to make it a meal or get a larger drink...! Now, if I worked in foods at SFOT and I knew math..... How many food/drink stands are there in the park, divided by 8 times how many days the park is open??? Especially those smaller one or 2 employee stands that might have a much higher chance of the same employee being shopped 2 or 3 times a month. $$$$$!!
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak
... You wouldn't believe how many times a I have to fail a stand....! Just for not asking me if I wanted to make it a meal or get a larger drink...!
This does explain why they kept asking me if I wanted a souvenir cup with the strangely evil man on the lid. What I found frustrating was the complete lack of eye contact or simple greeting with some of the stand workers. I assume the stand fails for that reason?? If it doesn't, it should.
I kept thinking the entire time how these people wouldn't have lasted a second around the 'old' (sorry guys ) food service supes. Guy, V.H., Gary, Mike, and others would have marched them to the office and waved goodbye. Actually, I don't think Linda would have hired them in the first place.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old June 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Platinum Tag !

Exclamation Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak
I see it all the time too because I mystery shop for SFOT. SFOT gets shopped almost every single day it's open.
Hey, how do I get that job?!

I guess I would have to lose my beard, though.

If you have to confront the workers yourself, how in the world do you stay anonymous?
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:36 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum
Hey, how do I get that job?!

I guess I would have to lose my beard, though.

If you have to confront the workers yourself, how in the world do you stay anonymous?
I can hook you up with the MS company that does them. PM me. My wife and I both work for this company so we can "double team" them and take turns hitting stands, etc. We sometimes bring our 2 yeard old son along, stoller and all, so who'd suspect us...? Also the MS company makes sure we don't hit the same stand too many times. Kind of a rotation deal. With the stand rotations, my wife and I taking turns and the fact that it seems like the same employee hardly ever works at any one stand for very many weeks we've not been spotted that we know of yet! Plus, sometimes we just go out there on our own. Throws them off balance and keeps them on their tippy toes if they did spot us from a previous shop!
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:42 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin
This does explain why they kept asking me if I wanted a souvenir cup with the strangely evil man on the lid. What I found frustrating was the complete lack of eye contact or simple greeting with some of the stand workers. I assume the stand fails for that reason?? If it doesn't, it should.
I kept thinking the entire time how these people wouldn't have lasted a second around the 'old' (sorry guys ) food service supes. Guy, V.H., Gary, Mike, and others would have marched them to the office and waved goodbye. Actually, I don't think Linda would have hired them in the first place.
LOL Alan!! We have SEVERAL of those cups! Eye contact and the greeting, or lack of a greeting is counted and logged on our reports in most cases. Each stand can have different criteria. I worked at Coloniels in 81 and 82 and no, these "kids" they have now wouldn't last 12 minutes out there if they worked in foods back when we did.
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
General Manager

I signed up to be a mystery shopper for amusements, but never got assigned any jobs. Is this a part-time type deal for some extra pocket money, or could you actually make a living off that?
Old June 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM
General Manager

I know "housewives" that make lots of $$ at it, but no way could anyone ever survive on it. It's too unstable. The jobs come and go and when the Internet decided to saturate the world with the words "Mystery Shopper" about 90 MILLION people all signed up to get in on all the gold and riches, so jobs were scarce there for a bit but it's picking back up now. My wife and I shop for McDonalds, Whataburger, Texas Roadhouse, SFOT, Papa Johns, and Papa Johns phone shops(where you act like you are ordering a pizza and then decide 3/4 of the way through you don't want it after all), to get the order takers reactions, and many many other places. We do make some dough because we don't have to ever buy a cheeseburger, a steak, or a breakfast burrito at Sonic... we just wait till we get a shop and go then.. So, I'm not spending $$ on fast food that I would be if I weren't a shopper. The easiest and the funnest shops though are SFOT, hands down. They pay 1 admission ticket, 1 parking ticket, re-imburse all food, drinks, etc. and slip us $10-20 extra depending on how many and what stands they assign, etc. We all have passes and parking passes so no out of pocket there. If only my wife and maybe our 2 year old goes we dont spend any $$ on food, but we have to eat at different times seperately, but that's ok, so no out of pocket there. The only problem is we love the place so dang much we stay all day and buy the kid this and that and the wife LOVES pink things and funnel cakes and those 2 are never on the mystery shop list(that we get anyway), so end up spending all our extra $$ for the shop on JUNK.. LOL Not to mention how much weight I've put on, even with all the extra exercise running from one end of the park to the other 6 times...! It's got it's pros and cons. What company did you try to sign up for? SFOT probably uses more than one.
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
General Manager

Oh heavens, I don't even remember who it was anymore, it was a year and a half ago. The last emails I got from them were "Please update your information" and all those emails went to my spam folder. I figured since they never sent me anything, I'd just tell them I wasn't interested anymore. I'm sure I could find it again if I tried, but I'm too lazy.