Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides

Changed or Moved Attractions/Rides Changed/Moved or somehow different attractions/rides, etc.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum
Hey, didn't I see something like that in the opening scenes of Spy Kids II: The Island of Lost Dreams?

But seriously, folks, how many of you knew that, yes, the opening part of that movie was indeed shot at SFOT? You see the the Front Gate, the Titan, the Tower and the Gotham City area.
I haven't seen any of the "Spy Kids" series, but I believe it's the third one they filmed there. It was the talk of the park all week.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes
Here is the four bucket version:
And here is the GoGo version:

Yeah Baby!

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old October 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Wow

This is awesome! Really gives a good feeling to how it was. I really like those kind of rides that give you a chance to get up real high in the sky but not distract you with g-forces while doing so.

I still enjoy that style of experience today when going into the tower.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
General Manager

No it was Spy Kids II...I rember going to the theatre to see it and left after the part with the park was over...i think it was about 10-15 mins...if you ever watch it you can tell they had to film some more scences for the opening after they left because one shot you see the freeze building, and the next it was some building they made up to look like freeze, minus snowy

I loved what they did to the rides though...changed Missle Chaser into a super spin and puke, Dive Bomber had two cars on the arc that went up each side and slammed into each other, Tower had crane on top (like sky hook going back to the orginal topic) that pulled a cage up really fast and spun it around and Titan...well it was just in a back ground shot that made it look like it was at the front of the park
Old October 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
General Manager

Wow, I didn't know they used that much of the park for the movie. Guess I should go rent that..

I heard the sequence was based on a coaster (Batman the Ride) breaking down and the two kid heroes help save everyone or something?
Old October 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM
General Manager

It was some made up ride (although CGI was very cool) that went haywire and the kids had to rescue the (i think) prez's kid

It may sound like alot but it actual park footage( with CGI enhancement) was prob 5-10 mins
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Red Tag

Yes, it was Spy Kids 2. I am a Arlington police officer and I worked part-time there when they were filming it. They originally planned on filming one week at the park and it ended up being 2 weeks. They payed us $35 an hour mostly at the employee entrance to let a couple cars of cars thru an hour. They had extras (children) coming every 30 minutes. There staff was very nice and at lunch time they would have us go eat where the stars of the movie ate. It was like eating like a king. I felt a little guilty eating great and not really working and getting paid well. When they finished filming the movie in Austin they sent us a poster collage and invited us to ther wrap-up party. Of course I did'nt go.
The main ride they used that the Spy Kids rescued the President's daughter from was completely computer generated. When I saw what they did and then saw the movie I was amazed. They filmed this ride between Mr. Freeze and the Fifties section in a open space. They simply used wires on a boom to raise the Spy Kids, the presidents daughter, and the secret service guys into the air and they would film the parts and they colored in the ride. The little ship they flew away in was also on a wire. One of the head guys I talked to said they made so much money from the 1st movie that they had an unlimited budget for this one. The 3rd movie they made was completely computer generated.
It was interesting to watch and I had a good time.
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:43 AM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Robert Rodgriguez makes a good movie. I haven't seen any of the Spy Kids movies, but I might have to based on this information that I didn't know previously - plus the fact that I've loved every one of his movies I've seen before. (El Mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, From Dusk til Dawn, Sin City, The Faculty.)

He was one of the first major proponents of using digital video instead of film to shoot his movies... it makes for much easier digital manipulation.
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:25 PM
General Manager

Default Bolts from above?

Hmmm, I just realized something... Steel crane, steel cables, steel cages, lookes like metal seats, 2 TALL steel poles (tops of the cranes), one well placed lightening bolt...... WOW... I know it was probably grounded, but still..
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
General Manager

The Sky Hook stood in the very back of Boomtown, residing as the tallest attraction of Six Flags. For this reason, Wynne decided to make it the park's trademark in the same way Disneyland used its Cinderella Castle. The blue, Y-shaped structure was built in 1910, but didn't make its big debut until the 1958 World's Fair held in Brussels, Belgium. Wynne remembered the ride during his visit there and wanted it for his park. After he tracked it down and bought it, construction began in February. Workers repainted the attraction red, positioned it vertically, and attached a metal sign advertising Six Flags between the two arms.

The Sky Hook weighed a hundred tons and stood 155 feet in the air. A thick cable from each arm suspended a metal sphere. A tall, thin door led to the inside, where a maximum of twenty-eight could sit on the bench along the cage's circumference. Once all the passengers seated themselves and one of the workers locked the door, the steel ball rose into the sky. The entire upper-half of the structure slowly spun 180 degrees when the ball reached the very top. As the ride lowered it, the other cage started its ascension. The ride's operator ran things from a small box sixty feet off the ground, accessible only by a ladder.