Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:04 PM
Black Tag

Default Fort St. Louis

We made it to the Park today. Before enduring the g-forces of the remodeled Texas Giant I spent some time in dear old quiet, green France. By sheer accident I found myself on the closed trail on the side of the Southern place. I was surprised to find a second blockhouse that I'm guessing was part of Fort St. Louis; it's just a stone's throw behind the wooden fence from the "first" blockhouse on the main drag. My memories are obviously inaccurate. Was there an actual structure that served as Fort St. Louis, and were there two blockhouses? I took some pictures, and once I figure out what I am doing wrong, I'll post them.

CW
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Fort St. Louis

Yes, there was an actual structure. In fact, you could go inside it and peer over the fort wall.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:51 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsbew View Post
We made it to the Park today. Before enduring the g-forces of the remodeled Texas Giant I spent some time in dear old quiet, green France. By sheer accident I found myself on the closed trail on the side of the Southern place. I was surprised to find a second blockhouse that I'm guessing was part of Fort St. Louis; it's just a stone's throw behind the wooden fence from the "first" blockhouse on the main drag. My memories are obviously inaccurate. Was there an actual structure that served as Fort St. Louis, and were there two blockhouses? I took some pictures, and once I figure out what I am doing wrong, I'll post them.

CW
Blockhouse=queue house right?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Gold Tag

To the best of my recollection from the 60s, Ft. St. Louis had just a single watchtower, or blockhouse. As you entered France from the Confederacy, you passed through the fort's gate. The tower was on the left and overlooked the river below. The stockade continued around to the right of the gate. Inside France, except for the River Ride queue, there was only one other building, a souvenir shop, trading post style, called Pierre's Treasures. It was made of logs and was a single-storey structure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modernair2.3.jpg (70.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg franceold1.sized.jpg (97.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg lasallesriveradventure14.sized.jpg (104.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1969Map.2.jpg (21.0 KB, 23 views)
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:37 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Inside France, except for the River Ride queue, there was only one other building, a souvenir shop, trading post style, called Pierre's Treasures. It was made of logs and was a single-storey structure.

(Found at http://www.cardcow.com/278855/colorf...-dallas-texas/ )
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:

CW
Yes that blockhouse is the original watchtower from Fort St. Louis at least that what I've been told. That area now is used only during Fright Fest.
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Black Tag

Default Fort St. Louis, cont....First set of images

Here's the first of a set of images I took on Friday, April 22, 2011. This is the blockhouse on the main drag through France, along with an image of a portion of what I presume to be a 1961 map of the park. An enlarged version of this map was posted next to the blockhouse as part of the 50th anniversary celebration.

In my next set, I'll show the second blockhouse.

CW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0978.jpg (53.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0971.jpg (91.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0972.jpg (91.4 KB, 12 views)
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Black Tag

Default Re: Fort St. Louis, cont....Second set of images

Attached are images of the "second" blockhouse. It is in very lose proximity to the first blockhouse, maybe thirty feet, but it's hidden behind a tall wooden fence and vegetation. I noticed the hip roof poking out over the fence and became curious. Down the path by the side of the Southern Palace I was able to get a few more pictures. So....two blockhouses. But why does only one consistently show up on the maps of Fort St. Louis? It was mentioned earlier that this "second," obscured structure was the "original" blockhouse of the Fort. If so, when was the one nearest the road built?

Whatever the case may be, I am happy that the two structures are still extant. While empty, they both seemed to be in decent shape and should last a good while longer.

CW
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Black Tag

Default Re: Fort St. Louis - images, Part 2

Having technical issues, will try again this evening.

CW
Old April 25th, 2011, 10:43 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Fort St. Louis - images, Part 2

Quote:
Having technical issues, will try again this evening.

CW
If you're having issues, it could be that the photo size is larger than 244k.