Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old May 10th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Red Tag

Default Railroad Spiel - Calling All Conductors!

Howdy all,
So I'm looking for some material to help in writing a new conductor spiel for the train. Favorite jokes, historical trivia, or just general ideas y'all may have about the spiel would be greatly appreciated. Overall, I think the park as a whole has now evolved far from it's original roots, and it would be best for the train's spiel to focus mostly on historical trivia, hopefully with lots of humor intertwined, as opposed to just pointing out rides along the track. There are definitely certain points where that makes sense as they are historical (log flume, big bend (there is still one footer left!), ferrocarril fiesta train, stagecoach, mine train, ect.) but mostly I think everyone knows about Superman and Mr. Freeze already.

From what I can tell by my research, the original spiel's style of pointing out the "stations" along the track (theming...at six flags?!) has somehow evolved over the years into just talking about the rides we pass, as they now dominate the landscape. I suppose this is useful in it's own way for people who are new to the park, but I think a map does just as good a job, whereas the train has much more potential than just a moving advertisement for the rest of the rides.

The biggest challenge I'm having at the moment is trying to inform people of our history without putting them to sleep. But then again, I've had times when I drone on about history during the spiel and older folks often come up at the station and mention how they liked it...I suppose it's much to do with demographics, which seem to change drastically depending on the day. It's definitely a sort of balancing act.

The eventual plan is to have a really good spiel figured out, record it, and put it on the spiel box, however some of us will definitely keep spieling live. It's just about increasing quality overall that we have the recordings, getting everyone to live spiel these days can be challenging and having a quality recording that they can use as a stepping stone would be a great tool to get more of our conductors spieling live (as it should be!)

At any rate, I'm still in the very early stages, so be sure to chime in, any help or input you might have would be very greatly appreciated.

- Chaz
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:16 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Railroad Spiel - Calling All Conductors!

Did you want to do 1 long spiel covering the whole trek or 2, depending on what station you take off from? I assume some folks still ride the train round trip and not to just get to the other side of the park. -- wait, I just re-re-read this post. I guess it would be just 1 spiel anyway...
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Gold Tag

I would take a look at the '61 and '74 spiels.

http://parktimes.com/content/node/104

http://parktimes.com/content/node/103

Ask the facebook SFOTRR people?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341728415913760/

They still have a spiel box?

Last edited by CGWallace; May 12th, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Red Tag

Thanks for the suggestions, those old spiels are definitely a good source of what was around the train in the past.

Yep, we call it a spiel box, but its just an audio system set up with a memory card and some buttons. Green button to play, red button to stop, and two buttons to cycle up and down through the 40 some odd spiels on the memory card.
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:40 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

If I have some free time at work, I'll see how much of the spiel I wrote in 1989 I can remember.
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:09 AM
General Manager

Didn't Cluesk record a mess of them and post them somewhere?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:31 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
Didn't Cluesk record a mess of them and post them somewhere?
I only did readings of the ones that are on the Parktimes website. So they wouldn't provide any additional help.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
Yep, we call it a spiel box, but its just an audio system set up with a memory card and some buttons. Green button to play, red button to stop, and two buttons to cycle up and down through the 40 some odd spiels on the memory card.
I think I'm going to be sick.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Red Tag

That would be awesome Jeremy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
I think I'm going to be sick.
I know, the thought of a recording sickens some of you, but I think y'all would agree that a good quality recording is a thousand times better than a lackluster/badly performed live spiel. We do have several conductors (myself included) that usually live spiel as its really easier and more fun. However, for new conductors just learning the ropes, or even conductors with sore throats, the spiel box is really a good thing to have. I think once we are done updating and improving the recorded spiel y'all will see it really has potential.

- Chaz
Old May 16th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
That would be awesome Jeremy.

I know, the thought of a recording sickens some of you, but I think y'all would agree that a good quality recording is a thousand times better than a lackluster/badly performed live spiel. We do have several conductors (myself included) that usually live spiel as its really easier and more fun. However, for new conductors just learning the ropes, or even conductors with sore throats, the spiel box is really a good thing to have. I think once we are done updating and improving the recorded spiel y'all will see it really has potential.

- Chaz
On a double at the river, I went around 2-3 times and then they handed me the mic. GULP! I got good by the end of the night. A box is not better than a new person spieling as there is ZERO interaction. Believe me, I'm taking an online Enterprise Architecture course and the computer-voiced female voice is just reading me the slides...it's enough to make me want to blow my brains out.

Anyway...I would argue that your new folks should also be allowed to go around a few times as well and then spiel for themselves. That's how you learn. I'm sure that's how you learned. My guess is that by completely relying on technology, we're only going to get ourselves in trouble with some sort of giant creatures and then who are we going to call... Godzilla?

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET