Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
General Manager

Default Hot foot!

Especially those of us who have to stand all day...
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
We can't even stand in line at ANY store in the park in uniform. You either eat what they have for that day, bring your own, or do without. I have no idea where folks are taking thier breaks either.
And let me guess, the Canteen doesn't offer a variety of everything served in the park, either?
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
General Manager

Default Oh contraire

Actually it does. They serve a different "meal" every day from one of the resurants in the park, plus the usual canteen items. It's also cheaper in the canteen than it is using the employee discount. I haven't eaten there, yet.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum Tag !

Its hard for me to go into the canteen these days with all the pictures gone. It just doesn't have the same feeling without the pics and the smoking section

I can understand why employees shouldn't take their breaks with the guest. I always thought that kind of blew the park image, although I usually took my breaks at Dry Hole Charlies, Aunt Addies, or the Roundhouse.

Last edited by Giant12; May 16th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
General Manager

It's a miracle! Someone has actually used the smoking smiley!
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Hmmm.. that's ridiculous.

I'm continually barraged by things that make me glad I don't work there anymore. Which is a shame, because I really miss working there sometimes.

When I left, the quality of the food in the canteen was pretty sub-par. I'd be really pissed if that was all I had to choose from.
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Platinum Tag !

Thumbs down Authorized personnel (only in here)

I had no problem with the canteen food -- I was there when this particular canteen first opened, and I can tell you that it was nicer than the previous one by several orders of magnitude -- but I would be very unhappy with the mandate to eat nowhere else.

Of course, with the pre-1980 canteen, there was no option to allowing employees to eat in-park. It might have been able to hold a couple of dozen people.

I say: As long as your people behave in the presence of guests, let 'em take their breaks in the open if they want.
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
Actually it does. They serve a different "meal" every day from one of the resurants in the park, plus the usual canteen items. It's also cheaper in the canteen than it is using the employee discount. I haven't eaten there, yet.
How I wish they did that back in my day. It was the same flipping food day in, day out. If I wanted nachos with tomatoes or barbecue, I had to go to a park restaurant. And for a time, the price of a Coke was the same as it was at a restaurant without the employee discount, even if it was a larger size.

It always bothered me that the food they served wasn't reasonably underpriced to begin with; maybe a dollar cheaper than the same thing at a restaurant. But at least it sounds like they are encouraging people to eat there now if they don't want "costumed" employees eating in-park. I always wondered why that was allowed anyway.

But I feel sorry for people working Batman, Mr. Freeze, et. al for that LOOOONG walk on a May Saturday. Walk 10 minutes there, wait another 15 for your food (moreso now if everyone is forced to eat there), 20 minutes to eat it, then 10 minutes to walk back.
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
General Manager

At Disney parks, the employees are forbidden to eat anywhere within sight of the public while in uniform. Yhey have to eat at employee cantinas located underground.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
General Manager

I remeber it was hard to get anything healthy, other than a salad...which weren't great. I never understood how people could eat those chicken strips and fries every single day of the summer. And when they turned over the canteen to outside vendors that was the death of the canteen to me. The food and drinks became way overpriced and the quality stunk (except breakfast for some reason, that was decent). That's when I started bringing lunches in an ice chest whenever I worked engine. The injector pipes running next to the boiler were perfect for heating a burrito wrapped in foil if you let it sit there for about an hour. I tried the hot dog thing once but it didn't work out well (and yes, I kept it on the outside of the firebox...near the watch hole). I will also say I'm glad I made friends with the little old lady blue tag that ran TX BBQ over by TX depot for a couple of summers.

I'll agree about woking over in Goodtimes/Gotham...especially Judge...why even bother going to lunch on a busy day...especailly if you were short staffed and the area mangers said you could only have 45min for lunch. It was to far to walk to the canteen and Dry Holes would be packed.