Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > SFoT Q&A

SFoT Q&A Ask questions about rides - how they did that, etc. here.

Old May 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default And it was uphill to the Canteen AND back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
I'll agree about woking over in Goodtimes/Gotham...especially Judge...why even bother going to lunch on a busy day...especailly if you were short staffed and the area mangers said you could only have 45min for lunch.
Boy, these youngsters got spoiled. When I started, the standard lunch break was 30 minutes, with 15 minutes later in the afternoon.

(Unless you were working someplace like Merry-Go-Round, where the small crews meant you could take nice looooooong breaks because you didn't have to run so many. )

To be fair, though, breaks may have gotten longer later. Can't recall now.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:24 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum View Post
Boy, these youngsters got spoiled. When I started, the standard lunch break was 30 minutes . . .
Pretty soon, we're going to be hearing Alan talking about how he used to walk to school for five miles, along a narrow dirt road, through the snow, for three hours, across a raging river, up the hill, with no cell phone in case he found himself in trouble.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Blue Tag

Default Disco Inferno

Quote:
Boy, these youngsters got spoiled. When I started, the standard lunch break was 30 minutes, with 15 minutes later in the afternoon.
When I started at River in '79, I think we got a 40 minute break for lunch or dinner, then got a 15-20 minute break later in the shift.

When the (then new) canteen opened in '80, it was a huge improvement over the old greasy spoon, but then I got made foreman at Roto-Disco (go ahead, laugh!) from which it was a 10 minute hike to the canteen. In the summer of 1980, this was a significant factor ...
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Blue Tag

Default By cracky!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Pretty soon, we're going to be hearing Alan talking about how he used to walk to school for five miles, along a narrow dirt road, through the snow, for three hours, across a raging river, up the hill, with no cell phone in case he found himself in trouble.
Yep, and we weren't walking around with those silly iPOD buds stuck in our ears! We had the Sony Walkman, and it was good enough for us! Dang kids today ... (insert "old man" emoticon here.)
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default And as they pulled away from the dock with that blinding burst of speed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Pretty soon, we're going to be hearing Alan talking about how he used to walk to school for five miles ... across a raging river ...
Actually, the hardship of crossing the raging river was having to listen to the terrible jokes told by the ferry captains.
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Platinum Tag !

Lightbulb A case of nausea followed by "Night Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Medford View Post
... but then I got made foreman at Roto-Disco (go ahead, laugh!) from which it was a 10 minute hike to the canteen. In the summer of 1980, this was a significant factor ...
You mean after listening to the Roto-Disco soundtrack for two or three hours, you still had an appetite?
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Boy, these youngsters got spoiled. To be fair, though, breaks may have gotten longer later. Can't recall now.
Most of my years, you were clocked out for 45 minutes (as allowed by law) but most everyone I knew took hour-lunches and "gave up" the other break(s) the rest of the day. But we still took and gave those small breaks if we could swing it, which we could most of the time, which is why the gave up is in quotes.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Yes... the outside vendors... that's when the canteen started to suck. They raised the prices, cut the options, and the quality went into the toilet. I want to say that was in 1998 or so.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Platinum Tag !

I always thought the canteen food was pretty good and cheap, that must have been before the outside vendors got a hold of it. I think now its operated by the park again, but they serve only inpark food. I always liked the tacos, nachos, and Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich . I always liked the pool canteen as well, the fiesta salads rocked and you could get the 25 cent pink things. It was really nice working at Giant because you could use maximum break time and if you were in charge you could still keep an eye on the ride.
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
General Manager

Default I'll go get the (ice cream) scoop!

I'll go up there this week and check the whole thing out and take some pics of the canteen whilest I'm there. I know for sure the food is "in park" food, but I'm not sure if the outside vendors like Panda Express and Johnny Rockets is in there at all, but I'll go see. I'll see if that crazy fire hydrant is running around as well!
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!