Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old May 17th, 2016, 12:34 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Shanghai Disneyland Details Revealed (TRON!!)

SFOT went through a similar thing with Time Warner to a small extent, but then really with Premiere Parks - they used SFOT's revenues to bolster other properties. In that case, it was the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or the one.) In this Disney case, the needs of the few (or the one) outweigh the needs of the many.
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Re: Shanghai Disneyland Details Revealed (TRON!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
I remember when on-ride videos were hard to find on the internet. Now they're everywhere. I guess it's a love-hate relationship type thing with the video recording? Any insights on the current status, attitudes toward, etc. on this topic from the company side of things?
Most operators are providing on-ride videos as part of the video packages they release to the media prior to opening new rides. I've also seen a number of videos recently shot on Go Pros using chest straps. I would assume parks are getting a little more lenient.

I don't necessarily buy that Disney is cutting hourly labor in the domestic parks to make up for construction overruns in the Shanghai park. Operating expenses and capital projects don't typically fall into the same accounting spectrum. And cutting hourly labor isn't going to make up for millions of dollars in overruns. My bet is they're just trying to operate on a leaner margin.

If I learned anything from my last trip to WDW, it's that there's more than enough room to cut a little labor and not see the final product suffer. During the after hours Halloween event at Magic Kingdom, I counted 21 employees working Space Mountain with half of the ride closed. That's just what I could see. You could trim that by a quarter and the average visitor wouldn't notice a difference.