Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old August 8th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Red Tag

Default Run-A-Way Mine Train working model

Hi all. As some of you may be aware, I build working O scale model roller coasters. You might recall my Shock Wave model I built a few years ago and shared the video on here with you all.

Well, I'm back at it again, modeling the Run-A-Way Mine Train at SFOT. The model will represent how it appeared in the 1970's, when I was a kid.

Just for everyone here, I'm linking to an exclusive page at my website on modelcoasters.com so you can follow along with the construction and I start out with a bit a a back story that I think folks on here will appreciate. This page is not visible on my website, so you have to use the link to navigate to it. I hope you all enjoy this exclusive to SFOT.net until the model is complete. I will be sharing some info on my Facebook page for modelcoasters.com, but will try to keep this content exclusive geared towards you, the members here. So for now, only you all know about this model.
- Randal (KCForce)

Here's your link: http://www.modelcoasters.com/run-a-way-mine-train-sfot
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Run-A-Way Mine Train working model

Thanks so much for sharing, Randal. That's great!

I remember well when the Mine Train was first being constructed, and the anticipation of its opening. I was a teenager at the time. My dad was in the SFOT accounting dept. and signed some of the checks to pay for its design and construction. Total price tag for the Runaway Mine Train- $750,000.

Besides going under the waterfalls, the original plan also called for the trains to pass over a burning trestle, but for whatever reason, that animation was never done.

Thanks again.
Old August 8th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Red Tag

Wow. So you go to experience the original layout, the zig zag before lift one and the drop and hill after lift 2! I've heard it was pretty wild, but by the time I rode, it had already been altered. I had briefly considered doing the original layout, but decided to do Mine Train as I knew it when I first rode. Care to share any memories of your first rides and what you thought of it back when it originally opened?
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:16 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Impressive work, sir!

For authenticity, don't forget water moccasins in the back area and a foot of silty mud in the small tunnel ;-)
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCForce View Post
Wow. So you go to experience the original layout, the zig zag before lift one and the drop and hill after lift 2! I've heard it was pretty wild, but by the time I rode, it had already been altered. I had briefly considered doing the original layout, but decided to do Mine Train as I knew it when I first rode. Care to share any memories of your first rides and what you thought of it back when it originally opened?
Yes, I rode it from the beginning. I wasn't even aware it had ever been altered. When did that happen? The zig-zag before lift 1 wasn't real fast, but it was real fun- one of my favorite parts of the ride. It made you slide back and forth in your seat. My first impression was how smooth it was. The only coasters I had ridden were the Sidewynder at 6-Flags and the Comet and Wild Mouse at the State Fair. They were pretty rough. After Disney's Matterhorn, the Mine Train may have been only the 2nd tubular steel coaster ever built. Its theming was perfect for Boomtown. I felt like it made Six Flags complete- with something for everyone.
Old August 9th, 2014, 04:13 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCForce View Post
Hi all. As some of you may be aware, I build working O scale model roller coasters. You might recall my Shock Wave model I built a few years ago and shared the video on here with you all.

Well, I'm back at it again, modeling the Run-A-Way Mine Train at SFOT. The model will represent how it appeared in the 1970's, when I was a kid.
Ah, i can't wait to see this! I loved the Shockwave model, as well as the one you did of the Zambezi Zinger (Worlds of Fun). Big Bend will be next, right?
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Gold Tag

That looks like it's going to really turn out well!

I was six years old when it opened and was apparently tall enough to ride a brand new roller coaster! Dad and I rode it first without my mom or other family members (cousins) and just had a blast! Dad was kind of a practical joker and Mom absolutely hated roller coasters (funny, I married a woman who also hates them--go figure ). Well, he talked her into riding it telling her it was similar to the log ride, smooth, gentle; it was even scenic going over the canoe pond. I can still hear her screaming his name as it plunged into the canoe pond tunnel and exclaiming, "I'm going to kill you!" Honestly, I don't know how she could have been so gullible but, oh, we laughed about that (well, at least Dad and I did ) for the rest of their lives!
Old August 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Red Tag

I've added the first update, including video of a test run. The update is at the bottom of the page: http://www.modelcoasters.com/run-a-way-mine-train-sfot
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Gold Tag

Thanks for the update. I can see they have altered the track layout between lifts 2 & 3 fairly radically from it's original run. Can't wait to see the completed model!

Last edited by Capstan; August 14th, 2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Red Tag

Update: There is a new update at the bottom of this page, dated September 12, 2014; getting very close to finishing the model. I'm hoping in the next week or two. I'll let you know when it's done. I'm also now going to open up the page to my Facebook followers for my website. You've had the exclusive for over a month now, because, well, you're the best fans for SFOT! Here's your link: http://www.modelcoasters.com/run-a-way-mine-train-sfot