Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Random Ramblings...

Random Ramblings... anything goes..within reason. (jokes, political discussions...oh wait that is a joke, events in Texas) ...well anything. ;-)

Old January 19th, 2016, 12:13 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Glenn Frey

Good gosh... another one.

Glenn was always my favorite Eagle, and I preferred his solo work to Don Henley's, though I liked both.

I kind of flip-flop on the Eagles or Van Halen as my favorite American Bands (though the Foo Fighters are about to overtake both of them.) One of my regrets was that I never saw the Eagles live... their recent reunion tours were just way too expensive.
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:36 AM
General Manager

Default Re: Glenn Frey

I listened to the Eagles for years growing up, but never knew who the heck it was I was listening to. Mom and her vinyl records.. I spent years seeing that blue album cover with what looked like a cow's skull on the cover (growing up on a farm), and thought, "Wut?" This is what I now know as their "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" album. I loved these songs, I loved Don Henley's songs, I loved "The Heat Is On" all during my childhood and early teenage years, but I only heard of the name the Eagles when they came out with Hell Freezes Over in 1994 when I was in junior high. A boy that I had a crush on wore a shirt with that album cover on it, so I had to listen to it too. Imagine my shock when I bought that album and recognized all but 1 of the (live) songs on it.. Through the rest of the years, I put it all together.

Interestingly, I loved the heck out of that album and listened to it all the time on my stereo at home, but on CD. Ironically, this rekindled my parents' love for the Eagles, and they actually did go see them live at the AAC, back around the time it had opened. And I was jealous and mad as hell that they didn't even ask me if I wanted to go, because if it hadn't been for me and that Hell Freezes Over album, they'd have never been interested.
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Good gosh... another one.
Yes, and as we get older the news that those we admired in our youth have died will come more frequently. The news of Glenn Frey right on the heels of David Bowie has me feeling quite melancholy--and old.
Old January 21st, 2016, 01:03 AM
General Manager

Not to mention the unfortunate death of Alan Rickman, remembered for his portrayal of Hans Gruber and Professor Snape.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:54 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

That greatest his album has sold more copies than any other album in history except for Thriller. I heard a story yesterday saying that skull on the cover was a bird skull, and the blue background is the wall of a seedy hotel near Love Field in Dallas.

I will always love Glenn Frey for his appearance on and songs he wrote/recorded for Miami Vice, which may be my all time favorite TV drama. Hard to say... especially if you consider Star Trek(s) to be dramas... and one of the funniest SNL bits I ever saw was when Ben Stiller saw Frey (played by Will Ferrell) in a bar and made the claim that he could seduce Frey in 3 lines or less, and come morning there would be Glenn Frey stank all over his body.