Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old September 30th, 2014, 10:27 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Avatar Land

oh, they're def building something now...they built and opened a whole new theater for the Lion King show close to the safari entrance in the Africa section earlier this summer so that they could completely close the Camp Mickey & Minnie area (which only had the LK show and some meet n greets)...they released some concept art at the D23 expo in Japan last October (https://d23.com/whats-next-for-disne...23-expo-japan/) to showcase what's coming, which really perturbed some of the D23 attendees in Anaheim from a month earlier since that they didn't release this info at our expo.

Other than that artwork though, not much else has been released...there are rumors/hopes that the dragon that they built for the new Fantasyland Media party will somehow be incorporated into the new area (since they hyped it up so much on social media only to fly it one time at an event that no one but "media" were at)...it is also thought that some of the new patents they have filed about using drones to simulate fireworks maybe Avatar related
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:47 PM
General Manager

Well, 6 years since I made the first post about this and 3 years since the last update, Pandora: The World of Avatar is finally a reality (well, really 9 more days nut it's in soft opening/previews now) and it is FANTASTIC

OK, fantastic may be an over-sell but is truly a piece of imagineering genius that even Walt would be impressed with I think. It is immersive, it is beautiful, is a perfect fit for the park focused on nature, and adds something to AK that was desperately needed...capacity

I'm not even going to attempt to explain how amazing the alien landscape in the area is and the numerous pictures floating around out there of it really does it a disservice at how encompassing it is.

2 rides in the land: Navi River Journey and Flight of Passage

River Journey is pretty much one of the most basic boat rides you can imagine as far as ride systems but what Disney has done inside is pretty remarkable. There is no story per se, it's just a journey down a river on Pandora...it's kinda a hard concept to explain really but imagine drifting down the amazon at night time surrounded by animals and bio-luminescent plants...it's pretty short at 4 minutes but super-relaxing at the same time...the best part is def the animatronic Navii they created...it is far and away they best AA ever created...super smooth movement over a wide range of movement...re-ride factor to soak in all the details, but probably wouldn't wait for more than 30 mins...3.5 out of 5

Flight of Passage is like Soarin on steroids...the queue line maybe the most detailed (and longest) queue created for a theme park...that said it is predicted that if this line ever gets full it can hold 5 hours worth of people...that's absolutely crazy but believable as it just went on and on and on (and I'm happy i didn't have to wait in it, we were just walking through it as a tour)...I can't even describe the ride movie itself as there is just too much going on all around you on the screen that I need to ride it a bunch more times just to take it all in but there is movement, smells, water/wind effects...it was almost too much really...the "seats" are almost motorcycle like in their design and have weird back and calf restraints that are cauding some problems depending on your body type (tall ppl, big legs, big bellies)...i was kinda afraid going in i wouldn't fit but I did with some help and while snug didn't think it suffocating like some other rides i've been on (Hary Potter).

I do still think that Avatar and James Cameron was a weird choice to partner with on this project but they have really created something really cool here (and with the huge budget and YEARS of development they pretty much had too) and I'm curious to see how the land transforms over the years and public perception if/when the sequels finally come out, but even if your not an Avatar fan/seen the movie, you'll be able to enjoy this new section of the park AND if they can do this with Avatar and set such a high bar, they are REALLY going to have to knock it out of the parks with Star Wars
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:57 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
I do still think that Avatar and James Cameron was a weird choice to partner with on this project
Same over here!
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:17 AM
Gold Tag

Jim Cameron was at WDW yesterday for the opening of the World of Avatar. In my mind, Pandora is more in keeping with the Disney tradition than, say, Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a truly exotic landscape, the stuff of fantasy and dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4IWiPv79qo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19IN4prjc4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMxeDMPvSnI