Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Random Ramblings...

Random Ramblings... anything goes..within reason. (jokes, political discussions...oh wait that is a joke, events in Texas) ...well anything. ;-)

Old October 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Yet another sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
I didn't say it made sense, just that I always enjoyed it more than Top Gun (granted it's been YEARS since I've seen it, and my memories of it's greatness may be just happy memories than actual quality of film). The sequels were horrible though...I think I've only watched the second one all the way through because of my love of the first one and only seen bits and pieces of the others on cable since II blew so bad. I will say that I've seen Top Gun more recently and can enjoy it more now than I did as a kid.
I really wanted to enjoy it. Just too many questions for my mind to let go :-\

Top Gun had different kinds of questions, ones that didn't make themselves clear to me until years later.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Even as a 15 year old kid who was obsessed with fighter planes, I thought Iron Eagle was a ridiculous movie.

Seriously, a bunch of teenagers stealing two F-16s from an Air Force base, then flying them across the ocean at an altitude of 50 feet?

It's a shame, because it probably would have been a pretty entertaining movie had I not focused on the high degree of improbability.

I was sad for Louis Gossett, Jr for being involved with it. At least it had the Queen song to give it some positive spin.

Top Gun was by far the better movie, but they made multiple sequels of Iron Eagle? Travesty! DAMNABLE INJUSTICE!
I started collecting Dyna-Flites when I was a kid. I was obsessed with airplanes. To play devil's advocate, I don't think that the scenario in the movie is all that far fetched. Dad (fighter pilot) has a kid that is about to attend academy, and dad sneaks him on flights and simulations. I'm sure security can be bypassed in pre 9/11 times for that. Next, Doug's friends were hackers. Hacking was fairly easy back in the day. Inventory and such were computerized for the first time during that time, so hacking these systems while tedious, is probable. Now remember, Chappy is a retired AF Reserve pilot, and goes on this mission. They didn't start flying below the radar until they reached the coast, and only had a little way to go. Sometimes when you are on a mission, the odds are against you, but sometimes you beat those odds. Considering the time this movie was made, I really don't think it is that improbable.

No going inverted above a Mig close enough to snap a Poloroid, THAT is improbable. Also, using your "air brakes" to suddenly gain an advantage will likely end in an aircraft collision. I could go on.......
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
At least it had the Queen song to give it some positive spin.
I never ever ever knew who sang that song, or what it was called, until I listened to my Classic Queen CD all the way through, and this was maybe 10 years after I first saw Iron Eagle. I instantly recognized it, for the unique, undescribable beginning before the guitar. Now, every time it plays on iTunes, I think of the Iron Eagle flight simulator.
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Gold Tag

If this Top Gun redo ever comes to pass and is given good reviews I'll probably watch it. BUT there were too many things that worked just right (and no not just hottie volleyball scene) and I don't want to be disappointed. I'm still bitter about the horribleness of the mess that was the last Indiana Jones. Don't want to be bitter about a Top Gun mess also.

And this is one of the many things that was just right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C5_-VWU6ks
Shockwave - 1993