Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
Black Tag

Default Big Bend Crew Photo - 1976

Ah. The major repaint job all Red, White and Blue for 1976 Bicentennial. This photo was taken right at the top of lift 1. The photographer was about as high as you could go on the catwalk on the opposite side. Notice the '76 painted on the trains. In the background in the right you see the puppet show building. Just barely out of frame on the right is the new Chute Out.

Interesting trivia: When we came to training prior to the park opening for the season, Six Flags had already started running the big 1976 commercials. In the commercial you get a brief glimpse of the Big Bend in its new paint job zipping by. When we walked the park what we found was only 2 cars (1 train) was painted. The remainder had not been painted yet. Only a small section of the track had been painted with the white pylons and deep blue track. And the trees had not yet budded out with leaves so they spray painted several trees green to make it look like summer. The brief shot of the Big Bend was right at that section and the rest of the ride and trains were the older drab color.

This was a combined crew picture. Day, night and swing shifts. Back in 1976 the park was open 10-10 Sunday through Thursday and 10-midnight Friday and Saturday. Sometimes on concert nights they stayed open even later. I think 2AM maybe a couple of times. I am a bit foggy on that part though. Anyway the day shift was always 10-5PM with the foreman and assistant foreman having to be there around 9:15AM. Swing shift was noon to 8PM. Night shift was always 5PM to close. I remember when I worked swing I hated it. So I got on day shift as soon as I could get a slot. First, working swing you could not work a double since you overlapped day + night shifts. Day crew always started lunch breaks right at noon with Billy Peters and his favorite girl crew member. :-) It was usually 3:30 before the day shift finished lunch and the swing shift (2 of us) would get our lunch. Upon returning from lunch the day shift got their 15 minute breaks. Swing shift would get their breaks usually around 4:30-4:45. So when night shift came in they didnt want to immediately take off for dinner breaks so they sent swing shift off on another break right at 5PM and then we would not get any more breaks till we got off work.

So sorry.... I digress.

Day foreman: Billy Peters (right at the very beginning but he got transferred to the Chute Out as day foreman then quickly became a supervisor. Billy did not come to the crew picture.), I was day assistant.
Night foreman: Carroll Boardway, night assistant Janice Nichols

In this photo:
Front row:
(Sorry I dont recall his name and it is not on the back of the photo), David xxxxxx, Paula Sieren, Debbie Jernigan, Sharon (Kay) Bane, Sherrie Conrad, Janice Nichols, Carroll Boardway, Gary Rumenapp

Back Row: Richard McJunkins, Me, Bill Arnold, Joe Mulry, Ricky Christopher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Bend Crew Picture - 1976 - Compressed.jpg (72.4 KB, 36 views)
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Big Bend Crew Photo - 1976

It looks like you guys had a blast! Big Bend is one of my all time favorite rides. You were probably working it on more than one occasion as I was riding it! Thanks for sharing these!
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Blue Tag

Default Re: Big Bend Crew Photo - 1976

Love these crew pics

Thanks for posting