Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old September 29th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Red Tag

Default Re: Too Confounded For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
I like how the Disney dorks pick and choose their indignation. Pitch forks and torches for Frozen in Norway, but the backlot tour at the studios passes with nary a word (and rightly so).
I didn't know about Backlot closing, bummer! That was one of my favs! They had a really neat 1.5" scale ATSF live steamer hidden in the queue line. I remember when I first rode it back in the 90's they even had a little TV set up showing the scene from the movie that the locomotive was used for. I've tried to look up the movie, but I've never been able to place it. I hope all of the artifacts from the backlot don't just get scrapped. Sorry for railroading...

Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studios_Prop_Warehouse_6_by_Disney_Stock.jpg (250.3 KB, 6 views)
Old September 29th, 2014, 09:31 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
I hope all of the artifacts from the backlot don't just get scrapped.
I can answer that for you...some of the props from the tram part of the tour will be scrapped because they are in terrible condition from being left out in the FL summer heat and rain with no protection for YEARS...others items, mostly those inside the prop house, will either be shipped to the Disney Archives if significant enough (like Walt's plane and a few set pieces inside the warehouse), be saved by the Disney Design prop house here in Orlando to be re-purposed for something else in the parks, or sent/sold to other movie prop houses to be re-purposed...a small number will make their way to authorized vendors like Theme Park Connection to sell on the open market

From my understanding when any ride closes the Archives group gets first pick of anything in there for their use, next in is Imagineering to see if they can re-use anything, followed by the Orlando prop house, then everything else is scrapped or sold

Just as a bonus if you want to get an idea of what they do at the prop house here in Orlando here is a link to a dinner party they did there...there aren't many pictures of the actual props but you can get an idea of why they get 3rd pick of the goodies
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:17 PM
General Manager

Thanks for sharing the link, Vance. I would love one of those Mr. Toad cars.
Old September 29th, 2014, 10:54 PM
General Manager

They're adding an Avatar attraction to Animal Kingdom? Guess I'm really out of the loop on that one.
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Platinum Tag !

Doesn't look like you were always out of the loop.
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:09 PM

The nose of Walt's plane, as well as the other airplanes on the backlot have been covered so that they look like the planes from the Plane's animated movie. They added eyes over the windshields and mouths, etc...
Seemed kind of sad to see Walt's plane, as well as these WW II fighters made up to look like something from a kid's movie.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Platinum Tag !

Yes. Doing something at a Disney park that might spark the interests of fans of a popular movie for kids. It's blasphemy!
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:23 PM
General Manager

Quote:
I blame my forgetfulness on my age.
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:37 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
The nose of Walt's plane, as well as the other airplanes on the backlot have been covered so that they look like the planes from the Plane's animated movie. They added eyes over the windshields and mouths, etc...
Seemed kind of sad to see Walt's plane, as well as these WW II fighters made up to look like something from a kid's movie.
Quote:
Yes. Doing something at a Disney park that might spark the interests of fans of a popular movie for kids. It's blasphemy!
I understand and agree with both of your points...yes on the one hand it was kinda sad to see them shamelessly add the eyes to the planes to promote the movie BUT on the other hand I can't blame them for using what they have available to promote a new (not-so-great) movie to a captive audience...goes back to my first point, it's all about making the most money possible for the corporation that may have Walt's last name but not his values (which isn't really fair to say either because who knows what kind of businessman he would have turned into if he had been around long enough to see his company turn into the beast that it is today)
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Here is Walt's plane and a WW II Fighter with their "Planes the Movie" look.
I think the fighter was in Tora, Tora, Tora.

walts plane.jpgfighter.jpg
www.davismccownlaw.com