Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old October 9th, 2014, 05:44 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Too Confounded For Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviRaider View Post
I agree with most people and think that the Backlot's best days are far behind it and it's best it's been closed. I'm not sure how I feel about a Pixar related area, although I'm open to changing my mind on that.

I, like everyone else, are anticipating future Star Wars additions but Disney will miss a cash cow if it's not a massive addition. If Disney doesn't do Star Wars right within the park I imagine the backlash will be so severe it would cost the CEO his job. That's why I think Disney will wait until the movies pan out critically and popularly before committing to such an endeavor.

I'm a huge Muppets fan and if they must vacate at some point, I will be utterly disgusted at Disney if they don't properly find them a new home within the park. I so wish there were more Muppet things to do in Hollywood Studios

I hope they don't drop the Movie Ride. It is so much fun and is ripe to be revamped. The beauty of such a ride concept is that movies come and go, so you have endless classic movies to choose from to revamp the ride with on let's say a decade long rotation or something like that.
I always liked Muppetvision 3-D and the Great Movie Ride. I could see sequel films for the Muppet theater. Hopefully they can upgrade the GMR since it doesn't really draw the crowds it once did. plus does take up a chunk of space, but it's also a focal point that says 'Hollywood". So even if they built another attraction there, I would at least hope they would keep the theater facade. I haven't been in the park in several years and haven't seen the Toy Story ride except via YouTube.. As far as a Pixar-inspired area, I just remember the Pizza Planet restaurant which was themed like the one in the Toy Story movie. (I'm thinking it was very close to Muppetvision?). It will be interesting to see what WDI comes up with after all is said and done. .
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
General Manager

Quote:
But really Frozen has no business being in Norway pavilion. World Showcase has always been a draw because it's adult Disney without all of the kiddy embellishments that exist everywhere else.
I gotta disagree that it has no business...the backgrounds in the movie were directly inspired by Norway and since Frozen has been released Norway's tourism has gone up massively, helped by the fact that Adventures by Disney and Disney cruise line offer trips there...if anything having Frozen in the Norway pavilion helps to booster that country and (real) Norway is the one that should feel silly that they didn't re-sign their contract with Disney in 2002 (or the many offers since then) so that they could have had input into the ride and stationed tourism people there touting the country...if Disney really wanted to give a big FU to Norway they'd drop the county's name entirely and go back to the original Scandinavia showcasing that whole region oppsed to just one country

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
I would hold off on calling Avatar a mistake until it's open. I remember predictions that Harry Potter was on the downhill slide and that Universal was jumping in too late to keep up the popularity. I haven't seen Avatar, so I'm pretty ambivalent as far as its presence in Disney goes.

Vance - I always appreciate your Disney insight. I haven't been to WDW in 10 years (although I'm going to an IAAPA event in new Fantasyland next month) and we're in the early stages of planning a mega-trip for the 4 year old next fall. I'll have to pick your brain for some advice.
Avatar is really going to have to be a wait and see scenario...I know the Disney fan bois are still rallying against it but then they'll be the first in line when it opens to gush over it and/or bash it (while secretly loving it) because that's what they do with EVERYTHING...I've said before I have faith in Disney (well, Joe Rhode at least) and James Cameron to make it great because even if you haven't seen the movie(s) it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the area (how many people love Splash Mountain but have never seen Song of the South since Disney refuses to ever release from the vault again? Lots of ppl hate Aerosmith but they still ride RnRC. How many kids know Swiss family Robinson but love going through the Tree House?)

and certainly, just let me know if I can help in any way...we took our daughter for the first time when she was 4 and had a blast

Quote:
I agree with most people and think that the Backlot's best days are far behind it and it's best it's been closed. I'm not sure how I feel about a Pixar related area, although I'm open to changing my mind on that.

I, like everyone else, are anticipating future Star Wars additions but Disney will miss a cash cow if it's not a massive addition. If Disney doesn't do Star Wars right within the park I imagine the backlash will be so severe it would cost the CEO his job. That's why I think Disney will wait until the movies pan out critically and popularly before committing to such an endeavor.

I'm a huge Muppets fan and if they must vacate at some point, I will be utterly disgusted at Disney if they don't properly find them a new home within the park. I so wish there were more Muppet things to do in Hollywood Studios

I hope they don't drop the Movie Ride. It is so much fun and is ripe to be revamped. The beauty of such a ride concept is that movies come and go, so you have endless classic movies to choose from to revamp the ride with on let's say a decade long rotation or something like that.
Pretty much the whole park's best days are behind it...it was built as a working movie studio with rides in the vein of Universal Hollywood and they rushed it to beat Universal FL but except for a few movies and tv shows, FL never took off as a real studio location and they abandoned that idea a long time ago and have been trying to throw solutions at the wall that haven't really stuck..however the new direction of the park is to focus on movies, not how to make them, in which I think Pixar fits in great because you can't deny that they pretty much revolutionized the way animated (computer and hand-drawn) movies are done and consistently win awards and makes tons of $ (shh..lets not focus on Cars 2 ok)

Regardless of what they build in Star Wars land they'll be haters BUT Disney is super jealous of what Uni did with Potter (both FL parks and their plans for CA and Japan) and realize that their volley back with New Fantasyland was kind of a pathetic and Avatar, while cool, doesn't have almost 40 years of history and fans behind (not to mention the nice chunk of change they paid Lucas, and if they can't exploit Marvel in WDW they are going to full bore with SW)...as far as CEO Bob Iger is pretty safe in his position considering the board just extended his contract again for the third time after saying he was retiring a few years ago because he has been bringing in cash hand over fist since Eisner left (it was rumored Iger was wanting to retire and go into politics, possibly the race for President but his people talked him down from jumping in at that level...plus as CEO of one of the biggest companies in the World has to give you an ego as big as POTUS) and given that we won't see SW for a few years it will fall squarely on the new CEO to make it successful so you could be right if they put a lame duck in there to be there scapegoat (not likely, but who knows)

Yes, pretty much everyone wants more Muppets and more Muppets were planned in the beginning but after Jim Henson died the original deal he was working on w/ Disney for the Muppets disappeared quickly as the family went against their's dad's wish and didn't want to sell so it was several years before another deal could be struck and by that time they had already proceeded with other plans (there is a lot of good info on this topic out there, I will dig it up for you when I get a chance if interested)
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:53 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
I always liked Muppetvision 3-D and the Great Movie Ride. I could see sequel films for the Muppet theater. Hopefully they can upgrade the GMR since it doesn't really draw the crowds it once did. plus does take up a chunk of space, but it's also a focal point that says 'Hollywood". So even if they built another attraction there, I would at least hope they would keep the theater facade. I haven't been in the park in several years and haven't seen the Toy Story ride except via YouTube.. As far as a Pixar-inspired area, I just remember the Pizza Planet restaurant which was themed like the one in the Toy Story movie. (I'm thinking it was very close to Muppetvision?). It will be interesting to see what WDI comes up with after all is said and done. .
Yep, Pizza Planet is right across from the Muppet 4-d attraction...referring to my post above that space or the Mamma Melrose space around the corner was suppose to be The Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor...it sounds really cool and like all Imgineering ideas it's tucked away in a drawer somewhere so maybe it'll pop back up one day

As far as the Great Movie Ride goes, I like it but it is stale...I think they can keep the same concept, and even many of the same scenes (Mary Poppins, Gangster films, Westerns, Indy, the Forbidden jewel scene, and Wizard of Oz), update the others with new films or just better AA figs (seriously the Ripley figure in the Alien scene is the worst) and most importantly let the spielers spiel instead of following the same tired script all the time...I know you have to do it for some parts because of timing, but I think if they could "ad-lib" ala the Jungle Cruise Skippers it's liven up the ride tremendously
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
General Manager

Two more changes come to Hollywood Studios announced this week:

The big Sorcerer Mickey hat that was "temporarily" put up oh so many years ago will finally be taken down after the holiday season (Disney people either seem to love or hat the hat...I never really cared about it either way...with its removal you can almost be certain that a big refurb of the Great Movie Ride, or at least the exterior, will be coming sooner rather than later...part of the reasoning it was put there to start with was to block the Chinese Theater facade since Disney didn't have the rights to use it in their marketing...it was rumored a while ago that it would be changed into a Carthay Circle replica similar to what they have California Adventure)

The Captain Jack Sparrow exhibit located between One Man's Dream and Toy Story Mania will also be closing...this space usually holds "temporary" exhibits and was home to Narnia displays when the first two movies came out (Disney dropped the Narnia properties after lack luster performance of the first two keeping and even kept the Prince Caspian display in place even though Voyage of the Dawn Treader was released by Fox)

Just more signs pointing to DHS getting a major-park wide refurb in the very near future

I know this topic has gone way off the topic but I didn't feel like starting a new thread since we were already talking about changes at DHS
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:25 PM
General Manager

Here's my friend to help you drive the conversation back on topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poodle-Driving.jpg (248.7 KB, 2 views)
Old November 26th, 2014, 07:13 AM
General Manager

Here is another sign that big changes are coming to Hollywood Studios:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/bu...ride.html?_r=0

Turner Classic Movies will be the new sponsor of The Great Movie Ride

"TCM will help the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division make changes to the Great Movie Ride, a long-running attraction at the Disney’s Hollywood Studios section of Disney World in Orlando, Fla."

but just as exciting, if not more so in my opinion

"In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.”
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:21 AM
General Manager

And this is how Disney gets it right. Repeatedly.
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:03 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
Here is another sign that big changes are coming to Hollywood Studios:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/bu...ride.html?_r=0

Turner Classic Movies will be the new sponsor of The Great Movie Ride

"TCM will help the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts division make changes to the Great Movie Ride, a long-running attraction at the Disney’s Hollywood Studios section of Disney World in Orlando, Fla."

but just as exciting, if not more so in my opinion

"In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.”
Perfect corporate tie-in. I'm pretty sure even Walt would have given a thumbs-up, as he loved working with sponsors for attractions.