Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old November 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

It's been a long time since I was at the park... I quit in '99 and haven't been back since while the park was open. But Tue/Wed/Thu were generally the lightest crowds, but Mondays were good too, as long as it wasn't a three day weekend, like Memorial Day, Labor Day, Easter Weekend, etc.

Other stuff in the area? Well, Arlington's got a fair amount of stuff in the immediate area around Six Flags, as mentioned... the Ballpark is right there, so is Hurricane Harbor. The new Dallas Cowboys stadium is also being built in the direct vicinity. Other than those, Arlington is pretty much just a typical suburb without a lot to offer for a tourist. The University of Texas at Arlington had a very nice planetarium (new)... it's close by. Otherwise, to find anything of cultural or popular interest, you'll probably have to drive to Dallas or Ft Worth.

Attractions in Ft Worth: Several Museums if you are interested in that sort of thing... two art museums, The Kimball and the Amon Carter. The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History is very cool, and has the Omni Theater, which is like Imax, but MUCH better. They also have a planetarium. The Fort Worth Zoo is one of the top zoos in the country, and the Fort Worth Stockyards is sort of a throwback to the days when cattle was the chief means of income for the state of Texas. But I haven't been in a LONG time, so I don't know how much of historical value is still there.

Dallas: I'm not a big fan of Dallas, so I don't go very often, particularly to sight-see. It's kind of fun to ride up to the top of Reunion Tower, which is twice as tall as the Oil Derrick at Six Flags, but not as tall as the Space Needle in Seattle, or whatever the tower in San Antonio is called. In that general area is Dealy Plaza, which is where Kennedy was assassinated. There is a museum at the school book depository where Oswald was supposed to have fired the killing shots from.

I haven't taken anyone sight-seeing in the D/FW area in a long long time, so I'm afraid I don't have much more to offer.
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Gold Tag

Well anything I can see is going to be pretty much interesting , Ive never been that far west before, and havent taken a long trip like this since I was a teenager in the 80s..............
Looks like Illplan to hit the park on a MOn and a Tues, then check some stuff out over the next 2 days.
trey
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
General Manager

I'm with Stroop in the fact that I don't know much about Dallas sight seeing...I'd head West to Ft. Worth...Downtown in Sundance Square is much more friendly than Dallas and a whole lot safer...the stockyards are very tourist friendly and quite close to Downtown and the musuem district...
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM
General Manager

I've lived in the Dallas area for 41 years, thus I can give really solid tourism advice. From Downtown Dallas, go West on Interstate 30 until you reach Ft. Worth!

Seriously, Dallas hasn't done much to preserve it's culture over the years like Ft. Worth has. All the Tarrant County areas mentioned will be fun such as the Ft. Worth Zoo, the museum district, the Stockyards, etc. Just watch out for the ancient highway systems in Ft. Worth, although it's improving daily.

Welcome to the boards and we're glad to have you, Trey!
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Platinum Tag !

The one thing in Dallas that I like is the Dallas World Aquarium. It's kind of an indoor multi-level rain forest with critters & a river. It does have the aquarium as well, it's just that the rain forest was really cool. It's all housed inside a building. You'd never guess all that was in there.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:09 AM
General Manager

Yes, the DWA is awesome and right on the edge of the West End in downtown. I used to perform in the West End Marketplace. It was a fun place, similar to the Underground in Atlanta, before the city council basically killed the West End Historic District.
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
General Manager

I'll give a nod to the Aquarium. I keep planning to go there myself.

More along the "amusements" end, Dallas also has Zero Gravity with some upcharge amusement rides, like a Skycoaster and bungee jump. It's pay-per-ride, but they only have 3 or 4 operating. Across the street from that is Malibu Speed Zone with go-karts, drag strip, arcade games, and the like.

There's also Fair Park south of downtown, where the Texas State Fair takes place, that has various things going on through the year. The Texas Star Ferris wheel is there, though not operational except during the fair.

A little closer to Six Flags, just east of the park on Interstate 30, is Ripley's Believe It Or Not and Palace of Wax.
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Platinum Tag !

Ooooh and don't forget Big League Dreams in Mansfield where you can watch people play softball on replica fields. And have a beer to boot! They are not supposed to sell beer during youth games, but a friend of ours went to one recently & said it was flowing freely.
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
General Manager

Superman has a side line entrance for sinlge person riders. Since the ride holds 3 people per side any time there are only 2 people for that side they'll grab a single person from that side line to go ahead and hop on. I think Tony Hawk's Big Spin does it now too. Side note - If you ride Tony Hawk try to get on with just 2 or 3 people and distribute the weight so the car is unbalanced. It'll spin a lot more.

I'd stay out of Hurricane Harbor unless you happen to be a polar bear. It is November!

If you like Egypt and King Tut - check this out.

http://dallasmuseumofart.org/Dallas_.../Tut/index.htm

Other than that I'm with Twisted. Find I30 and head WEST!
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Blue Tag

Fair Park has the Cotton Bowl (newly renovated), The African American Museum, The Womens Museum, The Hall of State, The Science Place (I-Max, Planetarium, etc.), Olde Mill Inn, The Aquarium, The largest collection of Art Deco Buildings around, It's a cool place to walk around and check out the fairgrounds (biggest in the U.S.)