Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Yeah, that would have been in the early/mid 80s, before you started working, around the time I had my season pass - around the time that Track and Field was also in every arcade.

Did anyone ever use the pencil trick on track and field?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Yeah, that would have been in the early/mid 80s, before you started working, around the time I had my season pass - around the time that Track and Field was also in every arcade.

Did anyone ever use the pencil trick on track and field?
Wasn't that where you laid a pencil across multiple buttons so you could run faster instead of your fingers cramping after playing awhile? I never did it myself but I think I saw a friend doing it. For some reason the hammer throw and high jump were my weakness...I sucked at that game!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Wasn't that where you laid a pencil across multiple buttons so you could run faster instead of your fingers cramping after playing awhile? I never did it myself but I think I saw a friend doing it. For some reason the hammer throw and high jump were my weakness...I sucked at that game!

As a drummer, I would always play "Wipeout" on Track N Field. At Six Flags, Star Wars in Boomtown, and Marble Madness by the Air Racers.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshhmr View Post
. . . and Marble Madness by the Air Racers.
I remember Marble Madness well. I much preferred Track and Field to MM, mainly because with T&F all you had to do was push buttons. But with MM, you had to navigate with that blasted track ball. It was a nightmare trying to control that little marble with the timer ticking away.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Blue Tag

I remember one Christmas in the mid to late 70's......I stood in line at Sears for over an hour to try out the "new" Atari home system.....the one with the Combat game that had the tanks and airplanes........I thought it was just the coolest thing in the world.......

I used to RULE on Tempest and Berzerk.....anyone remember Zaxxon???

also remember playing the Black Knight pinball machine when it was new....at the time, multi-ball pinballs were the newest thing......it was 50 cents to play it when it was new.......totally unheard of for a pinball machine....but to me it was worth it....
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Blue Tag

Galaga.......totally forgot about Galaga....and Frogger....and Defender....
I'd love to own a Galaga machine.......
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberer View Post
Galaga.......totally forgot about Galaga....and Frogger....and Defender....
I'd love to own a Galaga machine.......
I wish I had known. A friend bought a Galaga lat year. It was the stand-up version. His wife recently made him sell it cheap to make space in their living room.

I used to do the Galaga trick where you could make the enemies quit firing at you. I guess it was cool, but it took 20+ minutes of watching a single lone bee ship that you had to keep allowing to fly by until it finally stopped firing entirely. I'm thinking that you had to wait for the 6th consecutive non-firing pass to finally kill it, then nothing fired at you the rest of your game.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:04 AM
General Manager

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rememberer View Post
I remember one Christmas in the mid to late 70's......I stood in line at Sears for over an hour to try out the "new" Atari home system.....the one with the Combat game that had the tanks and airplanes........I thought it was just the coolest thing in the world.......

I used to RULE on Tempest and Berzerk.....anyone remember Zaxxon???

also remember playing the Black Knight pinball machine when it was new....at the time, multi-ball pinballs were the newest thing......it was 50 cents to play it when it was new.......totally unheard of for a pinball machine....but to me it was worth it....

Yep, those all bring back memories!

Here ya go....it's from Berserk:
http://www.digitpress.com/dpsoundz/bzk_chic.wav

And some others on this site:
http://www.digitpress.com/dpsoundz/soundfx.htm
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Gold Tag

Wow....now your really making me think....back to those days in the late 70's to early 80's when I spent several summers at the park on my season pass. Spent alot of time in the arcades to escape the heat....trying to recall where they were all at....Texas....Boomtown.....Modern....and a few others that I cannot recall off the top of my head. Pretty much tried everything once, but some of my favorites were Space Invaders, Asteroids, Galaxian, Galaga, Pac-Man, Centipede, and I am sure there are several that I am missing. But I have to say the one I truly mastered was Donkey Kong...don't remember if they were in the Six Flags arcades...but I know it was in an arcade in close proximaty to AHS (Electric Horseman??)...got so good I could go in there with just a quarter and play for hours....and had a lock on all the top scores!!
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I never saw the Black Knight pinball game, but Black Knight 2000 is my alltime favorite pinball table.

Loved Marble Madness - had some of the best music in a video game ever - until Dragon Spirit.

The pencil trick (going to have to visualize here)... take a pencil or pen (saw one guy do it with a hairbrush) and thread it over your middle finger and under your index and third fingers of your left hand. Put your middle finger between the two run buttons and the eraser on the left button, and mash down with your ring finger. Tap quckly with your right hand on the index finger side of the pencil so that it depresses the right button, meanwhile, maintaining pressure with your ring finger so the pencil immediately drops back down on the left button.

Not only did it make the button mashing go faster, but it also gave you a perfect rhythm, which was equally important in Track and Field.