Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Black Tag

Default Re-Introducing Myself

Hey everyone, I was reading some of these hilarious posts and it brought back some fond memories. It's cool to see that people still stay connected.

Peter
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKaraganis
Hey everyone, I was reading some of these hilarious posts and it brought back some fond memories. It's cool to see that people still stay connected.

Peter
Welcome and please share what you remember!

Currently Independent Contractor with Schneider National Inc.
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Hey Peter... good to hear from you again. Feel free to stop by more frequently.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Black Tag

Its cool to read some of these stories and such. It really takes me back. In fact I got out that old year book we did in 1991. Remember that? So what is everyone doing these days? I'm a software developer in Fort Worth. It isn't quite as interesting as moving chaps cars out during a flood or having a train slide partway off of the track and Giant and killing all the PX switches, but it pays the bills!
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:00 PM
General Manager

Welcome!

I was in shows but I always enjoy reading any of the dept. stories.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I remember that yearbook... I took a lot of the pictures for it, I haven't seen it in years, though. I doubt my copy survived. That was a fun season.

I'm dispatching for the fire department in Arlington.
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Yearbook

I remember there was to be a yearbook for 92, we even took crew picture for it, but not enough people ordered it so it got scrapped. I know our crew at Giant took our picture on the lift helix, boy i wish I had that picture, i think I remember Michele Henton having a copy of it on here desk when she was an OPS supe. If anyone has a copy I'd love to have a copy!
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Black Tag

One of my most memorable moments out there was opening year for the Giant. We had a great crew. When the ride originally opened we only had 2 trains. The third one came in right before the first May saturday and we had to cycle it all night the friday before that saturday so that we could run it on sat. because of the high projection for the following day. Well we couldn't start until after the park closed, and it was just cycling it over and over all night long. It was me, Tracy High, Jeff Vernor, Joe Ellison, and a couple of others, I can't remember who. Well, things were going fine but a massive thunderstorm came in; however, since it was unloaded we just kept cycling it. So someone (I think Vernor) came up with the brilliant idea of riding it in the thunderstorm. Well things were going okay, except that we got stuck on the lift because the rain was so freaking hard that it tripped the photo eyes at safety break. Well what sucked about that is that only one person was left driving, and nobody could hit the lift ack. button. We called all around and finally found one mechanic who could come over and hit the ack. button while we sat there getting soaked. Back then the thing used to fly, and of course we had all the brakes open so it didn't get hung up in the helix since it was unloaded (making it go insanely fast). Riding that ride in a torrential downpour with all the brakes open hurts like hell.
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
General Manager

One word: Ow!!!
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Platinum Tag !

Exclamation Whoooaaa Nellie ...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKaraganis
One of my most memorable moments out there was opening year for the Giant. ... Well, things were going fine but a massive thunderstorm came in; however, since it was unloaded we just kept cycling it. So someone (I think Vernor) came up with the brilliant idea of riding it in the thunderstorm. ...
Is it just me, or does this story maybe belong on the "Things That Could Have Gotten Me Fired" thread?