Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Bemis lives in his own little world, that's for sure. He went to my high school. He's a pretty good guy. Just a little... peculiar.

I remember that day the Bromide tank at splash blew up. I was working at Cliffhanger that day and was directly downwind. I noticed a bad aroma, which was pretty strong, but didn't think much about it. A couple minutes later, Jay Thomas came up and said we had to evac everyout around through Boomtown and down to the Tower section. I guess the fumes were bad enough to make me forget what else happened that day.

I also happnened to be Supervising one of the days that the Air Racer planes started going wonky when they were being manually lowered. That ride had the most ridiculous manual operation. I don't think I was the supervisor over the area that day. Brad Hart was at the ride and started freaking out, he called Mike Apple over the radio and said we needed to get the Fire Dept out to evac the ride because as we were trying to lower one of the planes, the nose lowered, but the tail didn't... it was at a VERY dramatic angle and if I was a guest in that plane, I'd be pissing my pants. It didn't help matters any that one of the guests in the front row was a girl who was about 6 or 7 years old and she started freaking out (justifiably so) ... Eventually, we got the plane levelled out, then all the planes lowered one by one. I really hated that ride. There were just SO many moving parts and ways it could go wrong. I had nightmares about it the first full season I was a supervisor, before I learned how to drive it. As if fate were laughing at me and spitting in my face, I spent the entire Hell Week there that season. I had a great tan by the time I was done, though.

I always liked Rusty, and liked working for him. I saw him laugh and smile quite often.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Platinum Tag !

I think I was probably the one doing the button pushing that lowered the plane at the weird angle. In fact, it was either one or two weekends before I got promoted to supervisor.

Brad Hart freaking out at a breakdown? No way, man! Just kidding. Brad is a good guy. I learned a lot about being a good supervisor when I was his trainee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop
I always liked Rusty, and liked working for him. I saw him laugh and smile quite often.
Same here. Talk about someone who was a story machine when it came to Six Flags. The first time I ever worked with him was in the ice house during snow blowing on the first day of HiP in '92. I was the only white tag working snow blowing that year and we were pretty short handed that day. Thus, I ended up in the ice house with Rusty, scared out of my 16 year old mind that I would screw something up and get in trouble. I had a blast. He worked on the catwalk while I cleaned the floor. My favorite moment was learning the name of the curved metal tool used for removing the ice bin doors.

Last edited by JABBS; March 22nd, 2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Yeah... work crew and snow blowing Rusty was a different person from Park Open Rusty. In either case, I enjoyed working for him, and learned a lot from him. You're definitely right about him being a story machine. It was like reading this board, but well before this board existed.

Does anyone know whatever became of Rusty?
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Platinum Tag !

Last thing I heard was that Rusty was the Director of Operations for the State Fair. Your right about Rusty he was full of some great stories. I was always intimidated by him at first, but once I got to know him he was a great guy to work for.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant12
Your right about Rusty he was full of some great stories. I was always intimidated by him at first, but once I got to know him he was a great guy to work for.
Same here. I'm kinda bummed; I never got to hear any of his stories.

I worked for him at the 2003 State Fair. He was quite a different man from the guy I knew/heard about at Six Flags. And in those 3 weeks I think I talked to him more than I did in 6 years at the park. But I did finally see the "other" Rusty and wished I'd gotten to know him better while he was still at the park.
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Platinum Tag !

Anyone (Stroop?) remember Rusty's "list" that he gave trainees on their final walk with him?
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:37 PM
General Manager

The only ones I remember are

Never leave your wingman

Never leave the bolt cutters unattended

Always have someone owe you a favor....

if there were any others, I don't recall them.
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Platinum Tag !

I vaguely remember one that had something to do with the "3 Cs", but I can't remember what they were.

"Always have someone owe you a favor" is one I still use and teach today. It works!
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM
General Manager

Hmmm... 3 Cs sounds familiar, but only vaguely so.... I'm drawing a blank. I think one was consistency. I've got a complete blank on the other two, but I distinctly remember in our 'walk' that he mentioned that sometimes he didn't know what he was going to get out of me... sometimes I would give 1000%, and sometimes, I'd do the minimum to get by. Which was true. Still is.
Old March 31st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02
Same here. I'm kinda bummed; I never got to hear any of his stories.

I worked for him at the 2003 State Fair. He was quite a different man from the guy I knew/heard about at Six Flags. And in those 3 weeks I think I talked to him more than I did in 6 years at the park. But I did finally see the "other" Rusty and wished I'd gotten to know him better while he was still at the park.
Awe... that's sweet! I wished I could have been there to see that!

89.7 Power FM Rocks!
Check out www.897powerfm.com or www.kvrk.com