Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old December 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Red Tag

Default My favorites: 1980-82

I guess my favorite was Flume, even if your fingers got sore - you had to press and HOLD the button to release the brake and dispatch a log - a good 15 secs or so. But I HATED loading.

Some of the smaller rides - El Hat, Roto-Disco, Spinnaker, et al.- were good because you just got to sit down.

I liked "driving" Tower, because you got to talk to people all shift, but I got really tired of the "Bet this job has its ups and downs" joke.

Ironically, I liked driving the Spindletop - because you sat overlooking the ride and got to watch what moronic ideas people came up with to do in there. (Sometimes, I'd even encourage it...)

Really stunk - Shock Wave - had this HUGE, really cool looking panel with lots of buttons and displays - but the driver just got to push a button. At least Judge had manual brakes.

I still think Mine Train wins the all-time award for most skill required.

My biggest regret is NOT learning to operate the train.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_Singleton View Post
I still think Mine Train wins the all-time award for most skill required.
Even to this day, and even without 4 train operation. I believe Judge, Mine Train, Mini Mine Trian and Shockwave are the only ones left that the driver parks the train themselves.
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Black Tag

Default Best Drives...

Flume was by far my favorite. Flume 1 was very challenging when running all 25 logs. I always had a great time messing with guest by using the brakes and starting and stopping low lift. If you were really good you could use the brake to send a log ino low lift with enough list that i would jam, hello Code 2.

his was also one of the few rides where loading was ruly fun. All of the goofing off that went on while on dock was legendary. Oh the log surfing, catch a wave and send the log flying to the loader. My personal best was soaking the que house five rows deep. It is a shame they have trimmed down the operation. The driver position has been gone for some time, the brakes have been changed so you can no longer splash the que and the comraderie has been killed with only three people needed to operate both sides (loader, unloader, and high lift).

I also loved to drive any other ride that involved manual operation.

My only regret was never geting a chance to run the engine.
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Black Tag

Thumbs up 1996-2000

Lets see....

Conq and the mysterious break errors...
And Marcus breaking the motor on my day off, thereby shutting down all of Spain (or was that Mexico?) while they tried to fix it...

Flume cuz it meant not getting my hands pinched in the load/unload break lever thingies...

Splash cuz the cute guy code (Phillip invented it...)
and running four boats...

Gold River cuz it meant just standing around and watching others do the work...

Right Stuff... Welcome Pilots! Please move to the furthest flight seat available! Once there, place all personal cock on the floor! No, on the floor!

and trying to speil with Patrick shouting "Beaver, Beaver! On da floor" into the mic over my shoulder...

and using really bad accents to see if Becky could keep from laughing...
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Blue Tag

Turning the seat belts off on right stuff at the end of the show was funny too. Once you turned the seat belts off the chairs returned to the home position. Was funny to do it right before the pop at the end of the film.
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

This thread is so old and I'm too tired to go back and look and see if I've already said this but, at The Astrolift, you didn't drive it, you were part of the ride! A real part in the great machine. It was such a manual process and it was always a great workout. The day went much quicker.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old April 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Gold Tag

River Boat for me. I was a dedicated River Rat. It was fun to manipulate the guests (the crew) for effect. For example, approaching the Spanish Fort, I'd come around the bend at full throttle, so the engine would make a lot of noise. I'd face away from the fort, pretending I didn't see it, and would be talking about Jaques and Pierre or something. The crew could clearly see the fort and would have these puzzled looks on their faces, because they didn't know what was going on. So I'd turn around, "see" the fort, and would cut the throttle, so it got very quiet, and I'd jump down on my knees. Instinctively, everyone on the boat would dive for the floorboards, in order to hide from those filthy Spaniards. I'd let the boat drift and would whisper we were going to "sneak" past them. Of course when the cannons started firing I'd open it up wide open, would jump up and start shouting, "Viva la France," etc., etc. With the cannons blasting, the water splashing and the boat at high speed, it got pretty noisy and everyone had a good time.

Also, on the River Boat Ride, we were subject to having pink things thrown on us from the Astrolift above the dock. Hardly a day went by, when we didn't call the U.S.A. Lift station and asked them to hold the occupants of car #37 or whatever it was. One of us would go up there and typically find a couple of snot-nosed kids shiftily waiting. We'd tell them we were going to have the Arlington police take them off to jail or worse, they'd never be allowed to visit Six Flags again, if they ever threw another pink thing. Scared hell out of those brats.
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
General Manager

Default Who me?

And I never tossed another Pink Thing again.....! I mean.. it was my little brother, I PROMISE!
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Gold Tag

Just send me a PM and give me the location of your little brother. I'll take it from there.
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:37 AM
General Manager

Default the beat goes on...

Naw heck, he's smart like me,,, He'll just blame it all on our little sister and run like hell...
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!