Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old April 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Gold Tag

Default these boots are made for walkin'...

Pink Things was the only drawback to working at La Salle's. In '71, I moved to Orlando and worked 4-months spieling on the Jungle Cruise at Disney World. I thought working for Disney would be fun, like Six Flags, but it wasn't. They were too strict. You couldn't get away with anything. The only good thing was, nobody threw garbage on you.
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum Tag !

Post This is your captain speaking ...

Interesting. David Koenig's descriptions of Jungle Cruise life at Disneyland sounded a LOT like the Riverboat experience.
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Gold Tag

Default Goodbye, good luck and get off...

It may be there was a fundamental difference between WDW and Disneyland in 1971. Or maybe it was just me.

I started there just 1-week before opening day. My overall impression was, this was a massive corporate endeavor, and I was expected to toe the line. The guy who was foreman at The Jungle Cruise was an ex-marine, and that's the way he ran it. The khaiki uniforms we wore sort of added to that feeling. They made it very clear to us at the beginning, there was to be no ad-libbing with the spiel. We were allowed a few ad-libs at the very end, as the guests were disembarking, but supervisors would actually ride around with us at times, to make sure we did everything by the book. It was all buisiness and nothing but buisiness.

I think part of it was, WDW was brand new, and there was a certain paranoia at work. Security was number 1 priority. Most of the managers were new at their jobs, and I'm sorry to say, some of them seemed more interested in corporate ladder-climbing than they were in entertaining people. I understand the corporate reality of the situation, but I was disappointed that so much of the motivation I encountered was money-driven. I felt very much like a very small cog in a very large, perhaps too well-oiled machine.

I'm not trying to knock the Disney Company. There were certainly perks, but they were all behind the scenes. And we did manage to have some fun. The pistols on the boats were Smith and Wesson .357 revolvers, kept under lock and key at night. Each morning, a gun, holster and box of blanks was issued to each boat. The gun would be tethered to the boat, so if a Jungle Bunny got butterfingers and dropped one overboard, they wouldn't have to dispatch a diver to find it. Each blank cartridge had a styrofoam disk- a stopper- to hold the black powder in place. We learned pretty quickly, you could remove the stoppers with a pin and pour the powder from one cartridge into another, thereby doubling its charge. Or even tripling it. What can I say? They put a stop to that pretty quick!

It certainly wasn't all bad. Maybe I was just getting too old to be driving a silly boat around a river. And I expect things have probably mellowed there over the years. Ill just say Disney World is a great place to visit, but I found I didn't really want to work there.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
General Manager

You forgot to mention the endless hours at the Disney academy where employees have take all sorts of unnecessary classes as part of orientation. I saw a short clip of what the academy was like and I already started feeling sorry for the new recruits.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Gold Tag

BTW, where can I read David's posts about the Jungle Cruise? Should be interesting.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
You forgot to mention the endless hours at the Disney academy where employees have take all sorts of unnecessary classes as part of orientation. I saw a short clip of what the academy was like and I already started feeling sorry for the new recruits.
Yes, I attended the Disney Academy. I majored in Pixie-Dust!
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Gold Tag

Here I am, on the cover of Life Magazine. That's me, in the upper left, in the brown hat.

http://www.2neatmagazines.com/covers...971-Oct-15.jpg

Last edited by Capstan; May 25th, 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correction
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Wdw

My uncle was in the bluegrass band that played at the place next to the Country Bears the first year the park was open. He said the same thing, that it was so strict you couldn't have much fun at all. I think he did stay for a couple of years though. I remember his one story about the girl that played Snow White getting busted smoking pot on duty, I bet that was a sight!
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:42 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant12 View Post
. . . the girl that played Snow White getting busted smoking pot on duty, I bet that was a sight!
Why are you so shocked? With a first name like Snow, what do you expect?
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Gold Tag

Disney World is honeycombed underground with utility corridors, which are about as magical as missle silos. So instead of getting to stroll through the park on my way to the Jungle Cruise, and get into the mood of the job, instead I had to traverse about 1/4 mile of these horrid tunnels, dodging supervisors on golf-carts all the while. Of course I had to be all smiles, when I emerged into Adventureland.

On the plus side, on a day off, I could go to the Polynesian Resort, get a nice discount on a sail boat, and spend the day sailing around the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I also got to take a great vacation to Anaheim. I had 4-nights on the top floor of the Disneyland Hotel and got to tour behind the scenes at WED Enterprises, the Disney design firm. VERY interesting.