Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old May 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM
General Manager

Capstan, you should be thankful, very thankful . . . that you never had to be one of the Disney characters. I've read about many, many horror stories about employees in that field.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Why are you so shocked? With a first name like Snow, what do you expect?
It's true, drug use- at least pot- was wide spread there.
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Capstan, you should be thankful, very thankful . . . that you never had to be one of the Disney characters. I've read about many, many horror stories about employees in that field.
I believe you. There was a break room, where I saw the guy playing Brer Bear get out of his costume. The darn thing weighed 90-pounds and he would be near passing out from the heat.

What I learned is that pixie-dust- that magical quality that everyone loves- is reserved strictly for the guests and doesn't extend to the employees. There was a genuine ruthlessness at work in the company. That's really why I left. I think also, the creative legacy of the man, Walt Disney, has been severely corrupted by the company's leadership in the decades since his passing.
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
General Manager

I believe in the corrupted legacy thing you mentioned. In EPCOT, they removed the Wheel of Motion and replaced it with a racetrack?! Removed parts of The Land for a hang glider simulator. They have also managed to dumb down much of the rest of Future World. And I don't even want to talk about the Nemo Ride at the Living Seas. They've gotten rid of the submarine ride and replaced it with another Nemo Ride and added that annoying bird from Alladin to the Tikki Room as the star attraction plus an attraction involving some alien thing with four arms. And this is just the beginning. Needless to say, I won't be going to WDW for a long time. I would rather visit somewhere more worthwhile like Paris, Rome, London, Munich, or the Swiss Alps.
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Gold Tag

Cleusk, if it were up to me, Walt Disney would be voted Man Of The Twentieth Century! I guess we're lucky we had him for the time we did.
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
General Manager

Yeah,I really admire him. Despite the naysayers, he always accomplished his goals. When he said he was going to build his own studio, they said it couldn't be done. When he tried to make the first talkie cartoon, they said it couldn't be done. When he told the public he was going to make the first full-length animated feature, they all said it would fail miserably. When he decided to invest in live action films and television, they all scoffed at the notion. When he made the announcement he was going to build a theme park, they thought he was out of his mind. Yet, every time, he proved them wrong. And the whole time, he never forgot who his target audience was - the family.
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Gold Tag

It's a shame he's gone. My last trip to Disneyland, in 2001, frankly wasn't much fun. The real magic is gone. We could go on and on about this, but....

Would it be heresy to say, without Walt, there would have been no Six Flags? And I look at all the thematic designs today for restaurants and shopping centers: I think it's all tracable back to Disneyland. So in a way, he's still with us. Well, rest in peace, Mr. Disney. I'm glad you were there.
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:21 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Would it be heresy to say, without Walt, there would have been no Six Flags?
No, it wouldn't. Angus Wynne got his inspiration from a visit to Disneyland. Instead of trying to persuade Walt to build another park in Arlington like Tommy Joe Vandergriff had tried to do, he decided he would make his own theme park and base it upon the history of Texas as taught in schools at the time - the six flags which presided over the state. When Angus took his family to Disneyland after he had made the decision, he asked his children which rides they liked the most. And guess which rides were erected for Six Flags when it first opened.
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Gold Tag

Ummm... let me guess.

The railroad.
The Astrolift.
La Salle's Adventure.
Skull Island.
The Modern Freeway. To name a few.

Am I close?

BTW Clint, I think your research into park history is most impressive and a welcome addition to these boards, if I may be so bold.

Last edited by Capstan; May 25th, 2008 at 08:39 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Washing behind the Ears

David Koenig's stories are in Mouse Tales: A Behind-the-Ears Look at Disneyland and More Mouse Tales: A Closer Peek Backstage at Disneyland. Great books. Like I said in the above post, they prove that employees and guests are pretty much the same whether you're in Anaheim or Arlington.

Re another topic: If the alien ride you're talking about is the Alien Encounter, my understanding is that it has been replaced. Incidentally, in The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2001, the guest input indicated that this ride was basically Most Likely to Scare the Living Daylights Out of Children.