Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old May 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Gold Tag

Thanks Al, I appreciate the tip.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
You forgot to mention the endless hours at the Disney academy where employees have take all sorts of unnecessary classes as part of orientation. I saw a short clip of what the academy was like and I already started feeling sorry for the new recruits.
I think its awesome that Disney had a multi day course for it new hires, and even though its been scaled back quite a bit from what I hear, it's still more intensive than what employees get at Six Flags now, and we all see how that is going for them.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
General Manager

Quote:
I believe in the corrupted legacy thing you mentioned. In EPCOT, they removed the Wheel of Motion and replaced it with a racetrack?! Removed parts of The Land for a hang glider simulator. They have also managed to dumb down much of the rest of Future World. And I don't even want to talk about the Nemo Ride at the Living Seas. They've gotten rid of the submarine ride and replaced it with another Nemo Ride and added that annoying bird from Alladin to the Tikki Room as the star attraction plus an attraction involving some alien thing with four arms. And this is just the beginning. Needless to say, I won't be going to WDW for a long time. I would rather visit somewhere more worthwhile like Paris, Rome, London, Munich, or the Swiss Alps.
Dude, for someone that "researches" so much stuff there is so many things wrong with that post I don't even know where to start. It was World of Motion, not Wheel, if you think Soarin' is just a hang glider simulator I'm gonna guess you've never been on it. The subs in MK got paved over with a playground, the subs in DL became Nemo, which is light years ahead of what Leagues was.(and an open attraction with a 3 hour line most days is better than a closed one). Only the Tiki room in MK have Jago and ZaZu, not the DL version, plus what's wrong with a little change. And the Stitch attraction (the alien thing with four arms) is based on one of their biggest sellers of merchandise (the thing does suck though, I'll give you that) so they are playing to their audience.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
General Manager

I was referring to Stitch which replaced the Alien Encounter which replaced Mission To Mars.
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
Dude, for someone that "researches" so much stuff there is so many things wrong with that post I don't even know where to start. It was World of Motion, not Wheel, if you think Soarin' is just a hang glider simulator I'm gonna guess you've never been on it. The subs in MK got paved over with a playground, the subs in DL became Nemo, which is light years ahead of what Leagues was.(and an open attraction with a 3 hour line most days is better than a closed one). Only the Tiki room in MK have Jago and ZaZu, not the DL version, plus what's wrong with a little change. And the Stitch attraction (the alien thing with four arms) is based on one of their biggest sellers of merchandise (the thing does suck though, I'll give you that) so they are playing to their audience.
I was lucky enough to see Disneyland just 4-years after Walt's death. His influence there was still pretty strong. In the last nearly 50-years, there has been so much great stuff torn down, and so little really good stuff put up, well... if you never saw the original Disney, you just don't know what you missed. I don't think the new "Disney" understands its audience, at least not the audience that was drawn to Walt's creativity. It's the difference between real vision- even genius- and think-tank creativity, which is calculated, bottom line, on profitability. I think the new Disney's problem is, they're too chicken to be really creative. They fail to understand- and Walt DID understand- that creativity requires sacrafice, and sacraficing their profits is the last thing they're willing to do.

I haven't seen WDW in many years, but I saw those huge hotels they put up, the Swan and Dolphin. Those places are genuine eyesores. I've seen Disneyland however. Soarin' Over California is a great ride, and so is Grizzly River Run, but this illustrates how far off the mark their new designs are: they put up an entire new park- California Adventure, or whatever-it-is- and 90% of the place isn't worth seeing! They should have added those two good rides to the old park, and would have done themselves proud.

Walt was essentially anti-Hollywood and provided a new and FUN alternative to the Hollywood violence. The new "Disney" embraces pulp, like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, which, in the minds of many, is hardly good family fare. Blasting one's enemies with lasers or fighting off snakes is not what Walt had in mind and is the stuff of cheap carnival fare, no matter how sophisticated the technology that's used. It's precisely what Walt meant to get away from.

We can argue about this 'til doomsday, and no doubt we will, and I have no doubt the Disney Company is savvy enough to keep their profits up, but they have all but lost Walt's audience. They just don't get it.

Last edited by Capstan; May 25th, 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Dude, for someone that "researches" so much stuff there is so many things wrong with that post I don't even know where to start.
I was going by my personal memories which can be sketchy at times, especially at night when I'm tired. The whole point of the thing is how the new park management has ruined Future World with its dumbing down and inclusion of thrill rides, not to mention the terrible changes made in the Magic Kingdom. I absolutely loved Mission To Mars, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and the original Tiki Room at WDW. And look what they did!

Quote:
. . . what's wrong with a little change.
Removing 20K Leagues was the equivalent of removing The Cave at SF.

Last edited by cleusk; May 26th, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Tag !

Default Wdw

I think the one thing that bothered me at WDW, when I was there last year, was the way the entire property had changed. Before last year I hadn't been there since the early 80's. Back then the only way in was to park ride the monorail or the boat and it was really cool when the Magic Kingdom came into view. Now you can drive right up and they've built roads whith Disney owned hotel over the entire property. There was just something about this that made it seem not right, or at least not what it once was.

As far as World of Motion and Mission to Mars, I think it was time for them to go, Mission to Mars was already lame by the time it opened and anyway you go to Mars on Mission Space Now, which is an amazing ride. At least they still have the Carousel of Progress at WDW, they sadly removed the one at Disneyland
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
General Manager

World of Motion was great because it taught kids about the history of transportation and provided a look at cars of the future. And now, instead of providing education, they have replaced this with a thrill ride which is one big eyesore.
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
World of Motion was great because it taught kids about the history of transportation and provided a look at cars of the future. And now, instead of providing education, they have replaced this with a thrill ride which is one big eyesore.
Actually, the new ride GM Test Track teaches kids how cars are designed and tested, with an element of fun to boot. If you want to teach the kids something they have to stay awake. That World of Motion was a real sleeper!
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Removing 20K Leagues was the equivalent of removing The Cave at SF.
Oh geez I wish you people would get over the whole Cave thing already. Yes the speelunkers were cool, yes its fun to remeber them as a part of Six Flags past, yes Gold River doesn't measure up and half the animations don't work like they should and have long over stayed their welcome, but its gone. So they removed the Speelunkers (subs) and replaced it with Looney Tunes (Nemo)...its called going forward.

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.
Walt Disney