Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old May 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
Oh geez I wish you people would get over the whole Cave thing already. Yes the speelunkers were cool, yes its fun to remeber them as a part of Six Flags past, yes Gold River doesn't measure up and half the animations don't work like they should and have long over stayed their welcome, but its gone. So they removed the Speelunkers (subs) and replaced it with Looney Tunes (Nemo)...its called going forward.

Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.
Walt Disney

I do understand what your saying, but there are some things that should never be removed. I think removing the Cave would be closer to removing Piarates of the Caribean, the Haunted Mansion, or the Jungle Cruise from WDW, something that they would never consider because they are their signature attractions. They don't remove them they just update them with modern technology and make them better, but they never lose there original theme. Now I can understand why WDW removed the subs, it didn't have the magic that say Pirates or the Haunted Mansion has, it had a terrible hourly throughput and lets face it, it was a bunch of plastic fish that didn't even move.
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I haven't seen WDW in many years, but I saw those huge hotels they put up, the Swan and Dolphin. Those places are genuine eyesores.
Disney didn't have a choice in where those two hotels were put up and don't own them, but I agree, the Dolphin is quite ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
We can argue about this 'til doomsday, and no doubt we will, and I have no doubt the Disney Company is savvy enough to keep their profits up, but they have all but lost Walt's audience. They just don't get it.
Not trying to argue (but it is fun) but to say they have lost Walt's audience is a stretch. I am a great fan of Walt Disney (I think his latest biograhpy is the thickest thing I've read) and what he contributed to the world and I'm a fan of the CURRRENT Disney mangement team. Where Disney went wrong was letting Eisner get out of control. While Eisner did a lot of good things (MGM Studios, New Animated features) while CEO, he made many more bad decisions (Direct to Video sequals, turning Disney into what Roy E. Disney called a "rapacious, soul-less" company*per WikiPedia* (see how I cited a source, yes its wiki, put its something) ) . I believe Bob Iger "gets Disney" as most people in the Disney fandom say and was smart enough to get people like Steve Jobs (Apple) and John Lasseter (Pixar) involved and are well on the way correcting many of the mistakes the Eisner made, inculding trying to fix DCA.
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
General Manager

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world does Steve Jobs have to do with Disney?
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:50 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world does Steve Jobs have to do with Disney?
In 1986 Steve Jobs acquired the computer graphics division of LucasFilms which later became know as Pixar Animation Studios. He was the CEO and majority shareholder until (after refusing for years to make a deal with Eisner)the Walt Disney Company paid him $7.4billion in Disney stock in 2006. (Not a bad deal for him seeing how he only paid Lucus $10 million). The deal made him the largest single stockholder (about 7%, more than twice of what Roy Disney and Eisner have combined). He is now a member of its Board of Directors, helps oversee Disney and Pixar's combined animation businesses (which included getting rid of cheap direct-to-video sequels). Jobs is considered to be a very influential advisor to Disney CEO Bob Iger and Disney on technology matters. He also put John Lasseter, Pixar's creative chief, in charge of Imagineering to get things back on track since some believe he has the same imagination as Walt himself (which, lets face it, the best Disney films lately have been the Pixar ones).

Just to cite my source, I knew most of what I wrote, but I did lift some facts and figures from Wiki.

Last edited by VanceCope; May 26th, 2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
General Manager

My, my, my! Steve is one busy fellow. Thanks for the info.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Platinum Tag !

Exclamation Did Vance use the words "get over" and "Cave"?

Uh-oh, I think I'll head for my underground, lead-lined bunker now and avoid the rush!
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
General Manager

It won't be a rush, it'll be a stampede!
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum View Post
Uh-oh, I think I'll head for my underground, lead-lined bunker now and avoid the rush!
Don't worry about me, I'll hear the creaking sounds of walkers, wheelchairs, and metal hips of the Cave lovers way before I see them so I'll have plenty of time to get away. If not, I'll just throw down some Ensure shakes and prunes and make a run for it
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Gold Tag

Default What's up, Doc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
Not trying to argue (but it is fun) but to say they have lost Walt's audience is a stretch. I am a great fan of Walt Disney (I think his latest biograhpy is the thickest thing I've read) and what he contributed to the world and I'm a fan of the CURRRENT Disney mangement team. Where Disney went wrong was letting Eisner get out of control. While Eisner did a lot of good things (MGM Studios, New Animated features) while CEO, he made many more bad decisions (Direct to Video sequals, turning Disney into what Roy E. Disney called a "rapacious, soul-less" company*per WikiPedia* (see how I cited a source, yes its wiki, put its something) ) . I believe Bob Iger "gets Disney" as most people in the Disney fandom say and was smart enough to get people like Steve Jobs (Apple) and John Lasseter (Pixar) involved and are well on the way correcting many of the mistakes the Eisner made, inculding trying to fix DCA.
Well, I don't mean to suggest that the Disney organization is a lost cause, and I certainly hope you're right, that the newer management can turn the trend around. If this fellow Iger is as good as you say, then the best of luck to him. I think there's much that needs to be corrected, particularly the trend toward violence that has crept into their attractions. This may seem like an extreme point of view, but it isn't in my book. It's just a sleazy way to turn a buck and the last thing kids need to be exposed to.

And what's with Jessica Rabbit? This is for children?

I hope "Disney" can put their problems behind them and get back to doing things the right way, so little kids and old geezers like me can enjoy it together.

I'm gonna go take my Geritol now.
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
General Manager

Default I feel better now

Ah, we certainly do have some heated, but healthy discussions here!
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!