Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cochrum
On the other hand, the Rides folks in my day were not expected to do as much cleaning as Mr. Stroop has described. I certainly don't remember being expected to bus the greenery around my ride every night. I haven't really thought about it before now, but I guess Standard Operating Procedure was to make sure the ride area and units were litter-free (and a lot of this would have been done on a continuous basis during the day). I sure don't remember a lot of extra post-closing time being spent doing cleanup.
As strange as it sounds, I remember sweeping even the dirt/planter areas lining the entrance walkway to River's queue house to remove dead leaves and make the bamboo beds look tidy. Over at Casa/Lost Temple the next year, we did the same thing with the plant areas.

It always seemed that some slob of a guest would walk right past the trash can at the entrance and dump cups and other garbage into the plant areas of both rides. It was during my time at Six Flags that I began to think of most people as mindless sheep since if one guest saw that another guest had thrown trash into the bushes, they invariably would do the same thing.

Last edited by Tom S; February 2nd, 2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
It always seemed that some slob of a guest would walk right past the trash can at the entrance and dump cups and other garbage into the plant areas of both rides.
This comment is just way off "topic", but yea, we got honked at yesterday afternoon in the Burger King drive-thru (we had not even negotiated the turn around the building to pay and pick up) for stopping at the trash can to throw away some stuff. What made them think they would be getting their food any faster........ It was the Burger King just north of the park, actually.

I think a lot of it is laziness, the whole "I don't have to clean it up" forte BUUUUUT--I have to admit to a certain phobia I thank the park for these days: the trash cans with the retractable doors you have to push open to throw away your refuse. (I've found myself complaining about public places with toilets you have to flush yourself, but yet have automatic hand dryers or automatic paper towel dispensers. ???? Automatic flushers and manual paper towel dispensers, since your hands should already be clean if you washed them after doing your business.) There's just something about touching something you KNOW is nasty...and some of those lids at that park are just awful nasty dirty, with all kinds of guests putting only-the-demons-know-what on those doors on their way to dumping it in the bag below.

I'm personally all about trash can lids with just an opening where you can toss your crap in there without having to touch someone else's melted raspberry gum wad, or the dry-like-glue ketchup that someone intentionally smeared all over it. I mean, of course, this is no excuse for "bush-tossing", but I hold onto my crap until I find a more suitable place to dispose of it. But if they're going to be THAT impatient, they can at least leave it in an area where it won't be a bitch to retrieve.
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Gold Tag

Default Please Gum Again

Anybody remember the legendary 'gum tree' near the entrance to Mine Train? Yuck! I remember seeing a good 5 pounds of gum stuck to the trunk on occasion. To me it was just another part of Six Flags, like the fountains or that 'tunnel' of vines you could walk through.

Who had to clean that crap off of that tree? And how? Putty knife? Steam from the 'Hot-Shot?' Was considered G.Q's problem, or did the Mine Train foreman have to take care of it? Was it something someone had to do as punishment, like cleaning a tile floor with a toothbrush, or was it considered a great honor, like guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
General Manager

Default Not Quite Mine Train, But My Experience..

I believe gum tree is still there, only now the barricade around it has extended where it can't be reached by hands.

No no, the most recent gum "memorial" was the rock wall in the old Texas Giant queue line. (It is now just an open area, next to Flume 1's high lift.) We lovingly called it "Gum Wall." That thing was matted down with gum when I started at the park, but within a few years I found myself working on a hotsy crew (hot pressure wash) to get all that gunk off. We wore goggles, but they failed to give us hair and clothing protection, so at the end of the day we were picking hardened pieces of, well, gum. I'm sure it had been cleaned before, but the only time I participated in actually hotsying the thing down and the year was 1998; I started working there in 1996. It got cleaned regularly after that because when we were done with it (after 2 1/2 days) it never got so packed with gum, that was the only thing you saw.

As night shift supervisor of Giant that summer, my area manager provided me with 4 cans of GumOff--basically liquid nitrogen in a pressurized can! This was right around the time they discontinued buying the stuff (or the company discontinued making it, I don't remember) so with 4 cans of it, afraid it would be stolen, I hid them in the seat at safety brake. People regularly used this stuff to spray cockroaches and lines of ants, just for the amusement of watching them freeze. But it was STELLAR at getting gum off hard surfaces, especially the fresh, watery, still-sugary kind. Hardened it up like it was 30 years old, and off it came with whatever you picked it with.

We used putty knives to remove gum. We called them "gum scrapers." Funnily enough, I never knew the distinction until we used some one day to spread some putty in that very same queue line--our very own Jason Garrett pointed that out to the guys using them. I remember thinking, "Ohmigod...." To this day, I use putty knives around the house to scrape up say, melted candle wax that didn't stay in the candleholder.

AstroWorld actually had a grand idea that I never saw (or have seen) used anywhere else. Near the entrance to the indoor portion of the queue for one of their rides, they mounted a round piece of wood with a target painted on it, for people to stick their gum on. It still didn't keep people from sticking it to other places, but it sure kept "gum wall" or "gum tree" from happening again. And it was easier and much smaller to clean, so I imagine cleaning it every night was a priority to keep it from getting too "gunked on" on there.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Gold Tag

Default You're As Cold As...uh...Liquid Nitrogen...

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost

Oooooo! Liquid Nitrogen...Yesssss!

Would have taken one of those scuba-tank sized containers to remove what used to be stuck to the ol' 'gum tree'. (Furthermore, the extreme cold probably would have injured the tree!) We only had stuff like WD-40 and the occasional 'borrowed' can of hairspray as weapons against the invading hoardes of cockroaches. It was gratifying, to be sure. But to have a cryogenic agent at our disposal would have been a nice alternative. No telling what kind of infectious 'droplet nuclei' were dispersed when we singed the little buggers with our improvised flamethrowers and they emitted little whisps of smoke and steam.

A can of liquid nitrogen wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes up at
Front Gate. We had an inexplicable problem with the CO2 fire extinguishers 'leaking' all of their contents long before their inspection had expired. So many practical jokes, so little time...
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Platinum Tag !

Yeah they gave us three cans of Gum Off at Giant in 92, It lasted approximately 25 minutes! Many a roach was frozen as well as one unsuspecting crew member's neck hair. That stuff was even more fun then Van-Guard Grafitti remover and a lighter.

I always remember the gum tree at Flume, but i think the que house takes a different route these days.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Gold Tag

Default Supe's Up! And I'm Offended...

I'm lookin' my name on one of my posts and I notice it says 'Blue Tag'. I would like to put in my request for a demotion. It's a matter of principle. I had a lot more fun as a regular schmo when I worked out there.

I propose that the moderators and administrator make this more of a 'virtual' amusement park, where people can get promoted, demoted, 'fired' and moved to another ride/restauraunt/shop/area. So run a search of all my posts and you will find that I have engaged in horseplay, safety violations, insubordination, rudeness, and dereliction of duty. I mean, the WD-40 flamethrower thing speaks for itself. Coulda burned Stroller Rental to the ground one Senior Nite. (No big loss, but still...)

So I think the only reasonable course of action now is for someone to bust me back to 'red tag' and put me in charge of the Sensational Sense Machine. Well, maybe I haven't been that bad. Make it Bumper Cars, on a probationary basis.

One more screw up and I might find myself having to memorize the Casa Magnetica spiel! (Happened to a friend of mine during the great Front Gate Purge of 1981.)

...But please, please, please don't make me go back to Roto Disco!
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:41 AM
General Manager

Yea, Van Guard with the lighter was totally cool, but while I'm not so much a huffer, I gotta admit that stuff smelled pretty great too.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Platinum Tag !

Yea there's nothing like the smell of van guard, simple green and coaster grease in the morning!
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista 96-02
(I've found myself complaining about public places with toilets you have to flush yourself, but yet have automatic hand dryers or automatic paper towel dispensers. ???? Automatic flushers and manual paper towel dispensers, since your hands should already be clean if you washed them after doing your business.)

Ah, well. Handwashing, is, in fact our best way to control most infectious diseases. So, once your hands are washed you don't want to go touching something else that might also be contaminated. So I try not to even touch the handle of the bathroom door as I leave. No telling how many fools did a 'drop and run' maneuver in there and left without washing. No I'm not a freak or anything, I just know how diseases are spread, and the so-called 'fecal to oral' (Yuck!) route is pretty common for a lot of gastrointestinal illnesses. You know, change a diaper, forget to wash your hands and later eat a bag of chips and, voila! You got a viral gastroenteritis!

If womens' restrooms are configured they way I think they are, you ought to be able to push the lever on the commode with your foot, as long as you are still fairly young and limber. That's a little harder on some of the taller 'wall units' we use over on the guys' side of the cinder block divider.

But yeah, I'm with you. 6F colored so much of my perspective about things later in life: 1. Anywhere I go I feel uncomfortable if there is a piece of trash on the ground. (At 6F we were told that from time to time a plain clothed supervisor would 'plant' a piece of trash somewhere and watch. Woe be to the host/hostess of any department who passed by and did not pick it up!) 2. I think employees of restaurants, retail stores, and amusement businesses should be clean-cut, with minimal jewelry, no visible tattoos, and neatly dressed. (Sorry if I offend anyone here, but I'm just old-fashioned about the tattoo thing.) 3. I expect the employees of the places in #2 to act as if they understand that their other customers and I do, in fact, pay their salaries. In other words, they should smile and talk nice to my face, but have my full blessing if, after hours, they untuck their shirts, put all of their nose rings back in, and curse me or have a good laugh about how I acted, dressed, or talked. To that end, I try to 'nerd it up' sometimes with adolescent workers sometimes in hopes they will later go on break and spew soda out of their noses when they laugh about what I did.

...As long as they remember to wash their hands...

...and don't spit in my food...

...Or do that thing they did in that movie about restaurant workers where they took somebody's sandwich bun into the restroom and...

...Think I'll 'eat-in' tonight.