Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old September 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Blue Tag

Craftfest is great except for one little thing this year. we all remember how great it was to buy food from the vendors, well with the new policy this year employees can only eat food from vendors when off duty and out of uniform. The vendors are losing some good money this year and they're just as upset as the Team Members. Employees was a big chunk of their business. You guessed it, when employees clock out they don't come into the park to eat they go home. Hopefully this policy will change.
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

People wonder why Six Flags is having a hard time keeping the park staffed and why employees aren't as happy as they used to be, even 10 years ago.

This is a good example... not one big thing, but lots of little things have changed over the years. Some made for financial reasons, but some stuff like the policy that employees can't buy food out in the park when in uniform... really... what does it hurt? It seems more harmful than beneficial.
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Platinum Tag !

yeah, and what does it say to the guests when they never see employees eating the food there? they probably think employees don't eat there because they know something the guests don't know. i just think that's ridiculous.
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Hmmm..that's a good point - and one I didn't think of. I can't count the number of times a guest asked me where the best food in the park was.

Now as a thumbing of my nose to park management, I'd probably tell them to get a hand stamp and go to Cheddar's or Denny's.
Old September 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Platinum Tag !

It's a seamless environment thing. Six Flags has always been the exception, not the rule, on letting employees eat in the park. Disney has never allowed theirs to do it and I don't remember seeing Cedar Fair, Busch, or Universal employees do it when I've been in their parks. It sucks for the employees (and the vendors in the case of craft fest), but I can understand the reason.

Money might have a little to do with it, in that you can get more full-price paying guests through the lines without discounted employees mingling in that same line. However, I would assume that employees are going to avoid long public lines when it's busy enough for capacity to be an issue.
Old September 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv's Ragin Surf View Post
Craftfest is great except for one little thing this year. we all remember how great it was to buy food from the vendors, well with the new policy this year employees can only eat food from vendors when off duty and out of uniform. The vendors are losing some good money this year and they're just as upset as the Team Members. Employees was a big chunk of their business. You guessed it, when employees clock out they don't come into the park to eat they go home. Hopefully this policy will change.

That sucks! I loved working in Spain section during this time. Those fresh cooking quesadillas were ooh so good!!
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
It's a seamless environment thing. Six Flags has always been the exception, not the rule, on letting employees eat in the park. Disney has never allowed theirs to do it and I don't remember seeing Cedar Fair, Busch, or Universal employees do it when I've been in their parks. It sucks for the employees (and the vendors in the case of craft fest), but I can understand the reason.

Money might have a little to do with it, in that you can get more full-price paying guests through the lines without discounted employees mingling in that same line. However, I would assume that employees are going to avoid long public lines when it's busy enough for capacity to be an issue.
That makes some sense (seamless environment,) but you're also right - if the line is long, nobody on a 45 minute break will wait 30 minutes in line for their meal. I have to think that it's more of a financial hit than a boost - I bet that a good chunk of revenue came from employee purchases.