Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > General SFOT Forum

General SFOT Forum General SFot discussion

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Gold Tag

Default Stroller Rental

Okay...Go ahead and scoff because it was not the up-to-your waiste waste that you had to slog through to clean out the Mine Train tunnel or the slimy mess you got at Flume. But it had its moments.

When Stroller Rental was up near Front Gate by the big round fountain the metal and wood strollers were stored on a concrete platform behind the little booth, mostly under a metal awning, some just out in the open. At night the roaches would swarm around the strollers and you could flip on the floodlight, fling open the door and step on 20 roaches before they could all scurry back into their hiding places. (Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!) People would come to turn in a stroller and lift their dripping, stinking toddler out of the vehicle, leaving all sorts of human residue behind, without so much as an apology. (Dang, lady, did you not bring any clean diapers with you today?) The worst offenders were parents who rented strollers for children who were much too old to be carted around all day and had to be literally stuffed into the seat and, later, extracted like a calf being birthed. All they gave us for cleanup was some glass/surface cleaner and some paper towels. Therefore I resolved at age sixteen that once I had my own children I would invest in one of those little umbrella strollers to use at places like Six Flags or the zoo because you never know what kind of diseases those rental strollers could harbor.

Again, not the kind of situation where you had to put on waders and a face shield, but just gave us the shivers...Mostly just creepy because we saw little kids get in and out of the tainted strollers day in and day out, parents oblivious to the filth.

Another Front Gate sanitation problem was money. Sit there all day in a little booth and handle money--some of it suspiciously moist--pulled out of brassiers, tight shorts, shoes, from between various kinds of cleavage and you want to scrub with Betadine before you head to the Canteen for a steaming helping of chicken strips. Same thing seemed to happen to tickets. ("This cost me $10.95 so I don't want to lose it...I think I'll shove it into the wasteband of my underwear and pull it out when I get up to the turnstyle." Perhaps this explains why we went through so much rubbing alcohol, which was supplied ostensibly for cleaning off hand stamp ink.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
General Manager

A cashier should always have a bottle of quick-drying anti-bacterial soap. Having once been a cashier myself, I can tell you that customers retrieve cash from worse places than what you mentioned. And you were quite generous in your description of the condition of the dollar bills which are handed to you. I'm surprised no one has mentioned bathroom cleaning. I've had to do my share while working retail. People are just so unsanitary and disrespectful when using the bathrooms. I won't go into details because I just ate lunch, but it's a really nasty job trying to clean them. I would hate to imagine what cleaning the restrooms at Six Flags must be like.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned bathroom cleaning.
Hey, I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
HATED: helping park services clean bathrooms...disgusting...especially TX and Front Gate
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Did anyone ever have to clean a restroom after Flumie?

WRETCH!
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Black Tag

Heh, I actually made a suggestion on the Dirty Jobs forums long long long ago about doing an amusement park episode. I was actually contacted by the producers of the show asking for more information. I gave them a run-down of some of the basic dirty stuff and they sounded really interested. I suggested that they contact Six Flags Over Texas or Cedar Point. Not sure what has happened, if anything, since then... I've seen every episode and don't recall seeing an amusement park one yet.

I personally enjoyed doing washdown overnight when the park closed... Some of the stuff that just happens to appear after the park closed at night was nasty.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default I agree on the money thing

Money is very dirty. Working in games - you go on break with filthy hands! Coins, bills - all are nasty.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
General Manager

Default Vegas baby!!

Ah yes, ticket in, ticket out... no more coins! Just like Vegas Baby!!
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
General Manager

This is why bathroom cleaning is a dirty job.

The first thing you encounter when going into the restroom to clean it up is the dreaded sink counter. It's almost always splattered with enough water to fill Broadifer's souvenir bottle. That wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for all the dirty diapers, half-filled drink cups, unused brown paper towels, napkins, and used Kleenex. Then there's the tiny trash basket you have empty, which is always overflowing. Of course, you have to clean the mirrors which suffer from fingerprints, dirt, and splattered liquids caused by teens popping their zits. It gets worse folks.

You look down at the floor you have to clean and mop. There's always going to be a degree of dirt and mud. Add to that the water which many times flood the floor. Of course, because it's coming from a stopped-up toilet, there's going to be a mixture of urine and floating feces. The cubicles themselves will always have some sort of graffiti written on them. And woe unto the unfortunate soul who has to repaint them in an area with little or no ventilation. Then there's the stalls themselves.

First off, there's all that dry and wet urine that must be removed because some people can't aim or think it's fun to go for the walls and floor. Apparently, people also can't aim their poop because there have been many instances where I've encountered smeared poop on the toilet seat or loose poop slowly depositing itself onto the floor. Then there's those who poop but don't flush the toilet. And if there are enough people who don't flush the toilet, the toilet will be stopped up with a big pile of poop that reaches to the actual lid. And guess who has to remove it?

Poop isn't the only thing you've got to worry about. Many times, in the heat of passion, people will leave behind certain mementos for the workers to remove such as sperm, vaginal fluids, used condoms, and a variety of birth control devices. The stall becomes a dumping ground for such worthless items such as used tampons, diapers, maxi pads, douches, and underwear. You'll find damp, rolled up magazines and empty beer bottles.

Who knows? While cleaning the bathroom, you might get called upon to get rid of the occasional hornet nest or insect infestation. You may even have an actual close encounter with a furry critter or unfriendly snake.

As you can see, this is indeed a dirty job.

Last edited by cleusk; May 13th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default If only, if only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
A cashier should always have a bottle of quick-drying anti-bacterial soap.
I hate to burst your (Betadine) bubble, but nobody had ever heard of such a thing back when I had the occasional money-handling chore at SFOT.

I must admit that my pique at being part of the nighttime Stroller Patrol -- i.e., finding all those strollers that never made it back to Mr. Pogue's Front Gate stand, and then taking them back there -- didn't include disgust at their state. I honestly can't remember finding any that were really nasty. Maybe the guests who misused them in that way weren't the same type who just abandoned them in the Flume queuehouse.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
General Manager

Default A mental note

*Not to self* While on security rounds, leave all strollers where they sit! LOL
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!