Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Cash Control

Cash Control Money talks: Cash Control discussion

Old November 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Black Tag

Default 1986-1991

It would be nice to hear from people who worked in Cash Control when I worked there. I think back on those times fondly and wonder what's become of a lot of you.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Black Tag

Hi Larry! Worked for CC from late '85 through most of '86, part of the time doing 3rd-shift data entry and part doing Games/FS CC and then the main CC when we moved to the new building (I went over to Security not long after we moved). Somewhere I have a picture of you and I standing talking at the counter one day, while waiting for the mad rush to start at either shift change or closing time.

When I left SFOT I went into contract security for awhile, then joined the Navy. Spent a few years seeing the world and then decided I was ready to move on, got out after 10 years and took a civil service job. I'm a programmer/database developer now, living in the Florida panhandle and trying (not too successfully) to dodge the hurricanes these past few years.

Enjoyed my time in Cash Control, it was always a fun place to be. Well, except for when it rained and the wet coins would jam up the sorters and rollers (even worse when you had drawn the RC boats to have to rob that night, they tended to be nasty even on dry days, but on wet days...ugh).

I think the worst thing that ever happened to me was one night when I'd done Skeeball palace after close. As I was on my way back with buckets full and half-full of quarters, the cart wheel jammed at the boardwalk and the whole cart tipped over. Quarters went everywhere. And of course, if that wasn't already bad enough, who should walk up just then but Gary Fawks from Games. No way to tell which quarters had come from which buckets, which of course made the totals for each game that night nothing but a guess. I'm sure that we didn't find all the quarters in the pitch blackness either (and some likely went into the lake as well). But, I'm sure that at the same time we probably made some observant kids happy for the next few days afterwards, finding all the quarters we'd missed.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Red Tag

Default Cash Control

Heya Larry-
I think you worked in cash control after I did (I was in CC 1983-1984). I still remember you as a Ride Ops supe who broke the haircut rules and spent way too much time hanging out behind the petting zoo.

I still have the rag articles you wrote about the Sensational Sense Machine...
Glen
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Black Tag

Default Ha ha

I broke the haircut rule? I'd love a copy of the rag if you still have it. larrygentry@sbcglobal.net and www.larrygentry.com
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Black Tag

Default Melita

Yes, Melita, I remember you. That's when Dave and Roy were there as I recall. When we built the new Cash Control in 1986, we had to work out of CC #2.
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Black Tag

Yep, you remember rightly.

I've kept in touch with Roy off and on through the years, he's doing pretty well. Haven't ever seen/heard from any of the other crew though.
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgentry View Post
It would be nice to hear from people who worked in Cash Control when I worked there. I think back on those times fondly and wonder what's become of a lot of you.
What about Flume I?
Didn't you work there in '77?
I am just getting too old to remember, or are there no fond memories?
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
General Manager

Default Re: 1986-1991

Cash control needs to be railroaded. Didn't there used to be a cash control behind or even where Batman is located? I worked in a small cotton candy/drink stand in Goodtimes Square for the last month or so of my first season and I could swear I had to wander the back area looking for cash control to check in my till each nite.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old November 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Platinum Tag !

There was a small cash control building in that area when I started at the park. I always heard that it was abandoned after being robbed sometime in the mid-90's.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Black Tag

That's the CC2 that Larry was talking about. It was the Games/Food Service Cash Control initially, with the Gifts Cash Control being in the main back area where the canteen and Security are.

They had to close the Gifts CC and move everyone into CC2 while the new building was being built; want to say that was at the beginning of the 86 season. The old CC2 off Goodtimes Square was closed when we moved to the new building late in '86, but there was no reason other than that we just didn't need it anymore that it was closed, that I know of. The new building was big enough to house everyone easily, and it was a lot more secure (by location as well as by construction) as well.

That last year when we were all consolidated into CC2 while waiting for the new one to be finished, we did also have an Arlington cop there at the door all the time; which might have made people think something had happened to cause them to be there (which, something might have and I just never heard about it - we certainly didn't hear about everything that happened even within our own dept, unless one of us was potentially a suspect and they hauled us all in for interviews or another polygraph or something). The building was uncomfortably close to Copeland road, with just the chain-link fence between; so I suspect the presence of the officer was just because it likely made the front office a bit nervous to have all their bankroll consolidated into that one building during that period of time.