Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Attractions

Removed Attractions Removed Attractions/shows, etc.

Closed Thread

Old December 21st, 2004, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default Removed Attractions...from old sfot.net pages

Attractions Removed from Six Flags:

This section lists any other attractions that have been removed from the park.

o Cotton Pickin'

Cotton Pickin', near the Modern Section, was originally a cotton candy stand and was by the sea lions (I mean like 5 feet away!) - also gone - who would spend the entire day begging for food as loudly as they could.

And they could beg loudly, I guarantee. All five of them. Ah, the smell of fresh fish in the morning! But, I digress. When I got Cotton Pickin' summer 1979, it was serving fresh lemonade and was the only place to get "nutty bars." The stand was tiny, so there were only two people working it.

I lost the three others who worked with me to transfers, firings, etc. What fun having it all to myself those hot summer days, each finger coated a quarter inch thick with chocolate and chopped peanuts (when latex gloves were for hospital use only)! That is, when the ice cream bars were decent enough to use and the chocolate didn't separate beyond reason.

I remember being so excited when they gave us a hand-held manual press to squeeze the lemons - oh joy! I, too, had an old-timey cash register and tax sheet. I had to call alot of times to get relieved for lunch - nobody volunteered for that one, and they usually sent *two* people! The season was almost over when they moved me to rotation, then the burger stand in Boomtown, then the cotton candy stand on the barren outskirts of Boomtown. Years later you could still see the faint outline of the letters "S," "A" and "P" on my forehead....

submitted by: Darci Merrett

o Wild West Rodeo Arena

Located where present employee swimming pool is. (**The pool is now gone too. -Alan)

submitted by: Jim Chase

o "Shorty"

Don't forget about "Shorty" on his stilts with those bird whistle things you co uld put on your tongue and make all sorts of noises. Seems like he spent most of his time around the big snack bar in front of Happy Motoring.

submitted by: Robert Allen '64 / '65

o Watermelon Patch

Am I the only one who remembers "The Watermelon Patch"? I have no idea where i t was located. As far as I remember, there were picnic tables to sit at and wat ermelon and beverages were the only things served. As you can imagine, a nice c old slice of watermelon was very welcome on a hot summer day.

submitted by: Kristy Hughes

Water melon patch. Yes ,Kristy Hughes, the patch did exist. It was last located near the entrance to the "Log Flume" ride. I used to work for the people that provided the melons to the park. We actually drove a stake-bed truck to an east Texas farm and loaded those melons, by hand, ourselves. Then drove straight to the park. Fresh off the vine melons !

submitted by: Tony Slisz

o Talking Trashcans

I remember back in the early 70's that Six Flags had "talking" trash cans all over the park that resembled various jungle animals. (elephants, tigers, lions, etc.) Whenever you put trash in the creature's "mouth", the trash can would repeat some pre-recorded phrase.

submitted by: Michael Hicks

o Barrel Bridge

The barrel crossing bridge that went from the tower side to skull island has been gone for years. It was a bridge that had hinges between sections and each section was floating on an oil barrel. The bridge would buckle from one section to the other as you walked across.

submitted by: Carl E. Cordell, Jr.

o Seven Seas, Hawaii Kai, Wax Museum, etc.

Although not a Six Flags Attraction, but later aquired and closed by Six Flags, Seven Seas was an important neighbor of Six Flags. Many park employees started out at Seven Seas and made their way across the border to SF. -Alan

More...

This is really taking me back. Thanks for the great page! In the mid-seventies, there was a theme park adjacent to SFOT, just to the west. I believe at first it was called "Seven Seas" and then changed to "Hawaii Kai." What occupies that area now? Did SFOT buy the land, or did SFOT originally own those parks?

By the way, speaking of "gone, but not forgotten," the theme music for SFOT in the seventies was terrific as well! Remember the words? "Six Flags is What You Wish the World Could Be..." Does anybody have a copy of those commercials? I'm sure the park must have an archive.?

And wasn't the theme song from "Seven Seas" a clip of the Queen song "Seven Seas of Rhye?" Thanks again for the page.

submitted by: Louis

More....:

Regarding the Seven Seas water park. If I remember correctly, it was originally built, owned and operated by the city of Arlington. However, the park turned out to be unprofitable and the city ended up closing and selling the park.

However, I may be confusing the location/park with the old water park (the name of which I don't remember off the top of my head) (I think it was White Water? -Alan) on I-30 in Grand Prairie. It operated until the mid/late 1980s, when Wet & Wild bought the park and the the land it sat on. The new owners then poured cement down all the water pipes to ensure that no more competition would ever come from the site. Several years later, the site became a children's amusement park for a short time, until a little girl fell from a small roller coaster ride and spent several months in a coma. The children's park closed almost immediately afterwards due to a lawsuit and remained vacant for 8-9 years its seems. In just the past 18 months or so, the site has been cleared and leveled to make way for a new car dealership.

submitted by: Tom Womack

Seven Seas was a theme park across the street from Six Flags. It was where the Marriot hotel is now, just north of The Ballpark in Arlington. Seven Seas floundered (pun) and closed in the late 1970's. A friend of mine cleaned out his garage recently and gave me a Seven Seas bumper sticker with the adhesive backing still attached! I'll try to get it scanned and uploaded. I showed this bumper sticker to the Arlington Amateur Radio Club (I'm the vice-president) and some of the old-timers there told me that Seven Seas ruined Arlington's bond rating for a long, long time. It was one of Tom Vandergriff's projects that did not pan out. I'm told that the pirate ship next to the Marriot hotel is all that remains of Seven Seas.

One of my ham radio buddies worked at Seven Seas and he said he liked to scout the female swimmers there because all that swimming made for some well-toned bodies.

I don't know if it was on exactly the same piece of land, but there was an attempt at a Hawaiian theme park near Six Flags. It lasted only one or two years. It was called "Hawaii Kai" or some such; I remember seeing TV commercials for it.

There was also an International Wildlife Park, "bringing out the beast in you." (I remember those TV ads, too.) A lot of those animals died in a flood in the late 1980's. This same flood destroyed the Galveston Gus arcade building inside the Six Flags park, washing most of the arcade games several hundred yards downstream. That happened just a few months after I left in 1989.

There were two separate water amusement parks: Wet 'n Wild (which is now Six Flags Hurricane Harbor), and White Water. White Water is the park that had the drains plugged up with concrete; this site is a bit further east on I-30 from Six Flags, very close to Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum. The water slides stood there for quite a while, overgrown with weeds, until it was bought up and redone as an amusement park. This is the one that had a primitive roller coaster that injured a young girl, and that park died a quick death. Eventually the entire site was leveled and a car dealership now resides there.

Very close to that site was the original Wax Museum, in Grand Prairie. It was destroyed in a fire in the early 1980's but was rebuilt as Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum/Palace of Wax. Behind that attraction was the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Don't remember the Texas Sports Hall of Fame? Don't blame yourself; it was in a location that was hard to get to, and not many people visited it. It is now in a nice building in Waco. The original Grand Prairie TxSportsHOF building tried becoming a Firefighters Hall of Fame... you can guess how long that lasted. Last time I was in the area (back in March 1999), the building stood empty. The Lone Star Racetrack (horse racing) is close by.

submitted by: Matt J. McCullar

o Cyrus Cosmo

Good page, but I see nothing refering to the Great Wizard who created the park, Cyrus Cosmo. There was a ride similar to the one they call the Himilaya at other attractions, (the Ft.Worth Zoo amusement area for example.) Anyway, this version of the Himilaya was indoors near the bumper cars it went in circles and kind of up and down, then it would stop and go in reverse. All on the walls in neon light was the image of Cyrus Cosmo. He had brown hair parted down the middle big eyes and a great big mustache. His image was on all the maps of the park, and all over the park at that time for that matter. I was just a little kid when this was the theme, around the time the Bannana Splits were the mascots, like Loony Tunes are now. Does any of this ring a bell?

(Oh yes... See The Roto-Riculous....Roto Disco. -Alan)

Also what happened to Captain Crunch's Hallowweekend? They used to have monsters walking all around the park and the speeLunkers cave had red water (blood) with monsters hiding all inside.

Submitted by: Rob Brown

Up until the park became associated with Warner Bros., there were cartoon characters such as Cyrus Cosmo (the official (?) mascot for SFOT), et al. Who was the creator of these characters? I still have several original travel brochures of the park from the mid '70s. I remember the artwork for the 1976 one really inspired my imagination, having not been there until June of that year.

Gee, I wish the park would bring back those original elements. The brochure for Six Flags - St. Louis featured a similar cartoon character on their 1978 brochure. Does anyone know "his" name?

Cyrus Cosmo's Electric Light Brigade Parade:

If I remember everything correctly, Cyrus Cosmo was introduced in 1975 as a par tnership between Six Flags and Paul Osborne and associates. That year, 1975, Cy rus Cosmo was a body puppet/magician who did a magic show every hour during the day at the Music Mill theatre. In addition, Cyrus also lead a nightly "Electric Light Brigade Parade" (roughl y forty show-op employees) through the streets of Six Flags. This parade consis ted several illuminated and ornately modified golf carts and flamboyant illumina ted push carts, all blaring a sweet cornucopia of noise (anything from sound eff ects to the beginning of The Who's, "Teenage Wasteland"). In addition, there were about a half dozen illuminated walking costumed charact ers. These people wore fifteen pound battery packs under their hugh, body puppe t attire and then danced and walked about a mile through the park every night. Needless to say, they always returned to the dressing rooms soaked in their own sweat.

The remaining parade employees dressed in vibrant blue bell-sleeved shirts wit h silver overalls, silver goggles and white scarves. Several of the girls wore silver hot pants (ooh la la). And everyone "marching" wore either a silver hats or a drum major hat. It was a pretty humiliating costume for a guy to wear. But the job was easy. We worked four hours a night for three bucks an hour, w hich was roughly what our friends made who worked there full time at $1.65 an ho ur. Back then, I thought $60 a week was pretty good money for a high school kid. Anyway, I enjoyed your Six Flags page and the good memories.

Dave, "Cyrus Cosmo's Electric Light Brigade Parade'75"

o The Wishing Well (Mexico)

Outside of Casa Magnetica there used to be a "wishing well" that you could yell in to and it would echo back (electronically). This was near the original entrance/exit. The current exit is still the same so you walk by the well on your way out but the top has been covered with wood. You'd never notice it if you didn't know what it had been.

submitted by: Joe Duffy

o Skull Island Caves

The caves at the time I attended as a kid (1960's) were just walk through passages in a dirt hill with nothing to look at. However I believe they may have been the remnants of the "Mad Organ Grinder's Cave" (or someting like that) according to some old Six Flags Viewmaster slides that I have.

submitted by: Joe Duffy

o Copeland Road

I seem to remember, when visiting the park in 1976, that there was a road (not the interstate) immediately behind the park, about where the Shock Wave is now. I remember you could see the Runaway Mine Train, which was on the other side of a cyclone fence, and the tower was just on the other side of the fence, as well. The road led to a Howard Johnson's Hotel. Does anyone else remember this road? A complete mystery, as I don't *think* I dreamed it. ha ha. Thanks for the great page!

No. You're not dreaming Louis. Copeland Rd used to be just two lanes and it seemed easier to see rides from it. Now it's a big 6 (?) lane road used primarily to route Texas Ranger baseball traffic. - Alan

Copeland Road is still there. The portion that runs along Shockwave, Mine Train, and now Freeze is two lanes and is used primarily to access our Human Resourses office and the employee entrance to the park.

submitted by: Suzee

o The Jail (Texas Section)

In the Texas section somewhere, there used to be a "jail" next to the sheriff's office. If you walked over and peeked in the window of the jail, there are a mannequin of a man sleeping on a cot with a looped audio track of snoring. He would just sit there and snore and snore and snore all day long. The only motion was his chest would rise and fall and his mouth would open and close slightly.

submitted by: Andy

I do remember that guy in the traditional striped outfit. I used to be scared to look in there as a little kid thinking that someone real was in there. It was attractions like this, small as they may be, that put alot of real emotion into the park. -Alan

o The Lemonade stand (Texas Section)

There was a small lemonade stand above the courthouse area where you could climb a few stairs and purchase a hand-squeezed lemonade. I know, I worked there. It was nice because not many guests could find you. ...that is until after a gunfight. It had one of the old style registers that you had to press the individual keys for a purchase. So, for a 50 cent lemonade, you'd have to hit the 50 key and the 3 cent key for the total. Doing the taxes via the little chart. Boy that was a long time ago... 5% taxes and 50 cent drinks at the park!

submitted by: Alan

o The Vine Covered walkways

Between the French and Modern sections and between the Modern and Boomtown sections there used to be some wonderful vine covered walkways. They had ceiling fans installed and were a great break from the Texas sun. They also provided a great way to break up the sections of the park. You would come out of one and be in a whole new section of the park. Kinda like time-travel or like Alice in Wonderland going through the hole...or Wizard of Oz when Dorthy opens the door of the farmhouse to Munchkinland and finds it all in color.... or.... Okay I'm carried away here...But, They were great and they are MISSED!

o The Fun Guns of Dry Gulch

Before the Texas Chute Out opened, what is now the que line, resided an attraction known as the Fun Guns of Dry Gulch. The show was basically a 20 minute campy western comedy with heavy emphasis on crowd participation and the use of outrageous props. As a high school senior at the time, memorizing a script 15 pages long was no small task. Worried that my very first show would end up being a walk-out, I was relieved to see everyone stick around til the end. My trainer, Steve Cox mentioned that maybe the downpour kept everyone inside. Since I was in Rides, the show people usually left me alone and the Ride supes had no idea what the hell was going on.

submitted by: Sands S. Weems

o Boomtown Shooting Gallery

The shooting gallery in Boomtown was in sad condition when I worked at SFOT ('83-86). I didn't get much maintenance and got to be extremely dusty. Sometimes there were only a few guns working and quite a number of targets were inoperable. It was removed at the end of the '84 season and replaced with Boomtown Boomball.

submitted by: Jeff Holcomb

Boomtown Shooting Gallery: I have no doubt that it was in bad condition in the middle 1980's; it was taken out of service while I was there because the manufacturer of it had long since gone out of business and there were no replacement parts to be had. That left us with one shooting gallery, in the Texas area. It was built by the same defunct company, and was replaced by an entirely new shooting gallery in the late 1980's. The original equipment was based on infra-red light, and originally had about 20 to 25 guns... when I worked there, there were only three. People kept ripping out the wiring and destroying the infra-red diodes and lenses in the gun barrels. In addition, each sound effect was recorded on its own loop tape inside some old 8-track-type cartridge on its own tape player. Those tapes were old, worn out, brittle, and irreplaceable. That's why everything you heard in the shooting gallery sounded like it came from the bottom of a well.

Shooting Galleries....More

In the early 1980's, there were two separate shooting galleries. One was in Boomtown, the other in Texas. When I started working there in 1988 the Boomtown gallery had already been taken out and replaced with "Boom Ball" machines -- similar to Skee-Ball, but you shoot the balls into the holes with an air cannon. (Those blue balls used to swell up during days of high humidity, and I heard that baby powder was a good way to keep the balls from jamming.)

The Texas shooting gallery was located right next to the Texas arcade, and right across the street from the Little Red Schoolhouse (a.k.a. Security). I worked in the Arcade Game Repair section ("Games"), and keeping the shooting gallery running was a constant pain because the manufacturer had long since gone out of business, and no spare parts were available. We literally had to make our own replacement parts.

The effects such as shrunken heads popping up into the air (riding wires) was accomplished with compressed air. A large air compressor was located behind the building and somebody in our crew had to empty the accumulated water from this air tank each night during close-up.

Each sound effect was created with a special kind of eight-track tape player. Each effect had its own tape player and its own tape. As you can imagine, over the years the tapes had worn out and sounded like you were listening to them through a bucket.

When the Texas shooting gallery was first built, it had about 20 guns. By the time I started working there, there were only three. Sometimes were were down to only ONE gun! Why? Because we had a hard time keeping the guns together. The shooting gallery used infrared light. Inside each gun was an infra-red emitting diode, and each object you shot at had an infrared sensor. The guns always broke down because somebody yanked too hard on the wire harness, ripping the wiring loose. Replacing the diodes wasn't too much trouble, but the lens at the end of the barrel was a problem. If that lens shattered, there were NO replacements! We ended up ordering a batch from Edmund Scientific, guessing what the focal length was. (We had a special piece of test equipment in our repair shop that somebody previously had built to test the guns, but we never used it because no one could figure out how it worked.)

The entire Texas shooting gallery was replaced with a brand-new gallery in 1988/89 or so. State-of-the-art stuff; digital scoring, computerized. I remember the guy in charge of installing it; he was blind but was a high-ranking guy with the company that manufactured it.

Some of the effects I remember from the old shooting galleries include: treasure chest opening and closing; mannequin playing piano; mermaid spinning inside whiskey bottle; bolt of lightning...

I just went through my files and think I must have thrown out my copy of the service manual for the old Texas shooting gallery; rats!

submitted by: Matt J. McCullar

o Rock Island Disco

AKA: Disco Island: An island disco area that was immediately to the east of the Dolphin show. In fact, guests waited in the Dolphin Show bleachers for entry.

o The Petting Zoo and Seal Pool

In the center of the Modern section. The petting zoo and the seal pool were in the location where the Looney tunes land is presently. It had a large assortment of sheep and goats, some chickens, and a 100+ year old tortise (giant turtle). The turtle was stabbed by some kid with a pocket knife in 78. He survived, the kid, who knows?

Petting Zoo info: Petting Zoo animals in the offseason , early 1960'S were kept on a farm located at present day location of north carrier pkwy and 109th st. there is a large water tower there now. hwy 360 was a two lane blacktop road. As a child in early 60's, we would drive by for cheap entertainment.

submitted by: Jim Chase

Petting Zoo pic: ...(courtesy of Davis McCown) Seal Pool, Petting Zoo - They bite! o Little Sausage House

Used to be located along the river by the canoes and behind the River Boat ride. Closed probably due to rats from the river. ;-O

o The Chicken Plantation

The Plantation Chicken House was moved, with the Spinnaker to make room for Runaway Mountain. This is when they built some restaurant with Alligator in the title, or something like that!

submitted by: Josh Whetstone

Josh, The Chicken Plantation is actually in the same place that it has always been. It was not moved merely remodeled and renamed. It is now know as Gator McGee's.

submitted by: Gary Persons

o Pitstop

PITSTOP, formally located in the USA section. PITSTOP was no MA`S, or LA CANTINA,with four registers, PITSTOP had two, and were the first defense of hamburger eaters the park had. Its food was greasy, the lines were always intesecting with our close friends at the funnel cake,and there was always a stream of people headed to the restrooms that were behind funnel. PITSTOP was later destroyed and was reformed into FOODCOURT. PITSTOP LIVES!!!!!!!!

submitted by: Gregg Courtney

o Argyle the Snake show

Argyle was a nasty snake that put on a show usually in the Boomtown area. His forte was making fun of attendees of his show and also anyone who was unlucky enough to pass by. Great fun.

submitted by: Terry and Lisa Minton

o Wildcatter's Ladder

Ropes and Ladders: There used to be these ladders on ropes, the kind that flipped over if you weren't too careful when you climbed them. You had to pay two bucks to try. If you got all the way to the top without flipping over, you got a big button with a picture of the ladders on it. I don't remember the name, or where they were, or when they took them out or why.

submitted by: Katherine Peake

Re: Ropes & Ladders... actually was just called the Ladder Climb. Located at the far end of Boomtown next the the RR tracks.

Submitted by: Gary Fawks

Actually, the "ropes and ladders" in Boomtown was called "Wildcatter's Ladder" in keeping with the theme.

submitted by: Michael Hicks

o High Diving Show

High diving - I skied in the water ski show in 78,79,82 & 83. We shared the pon d with the high divers. Sometimes we would trade off with the divers, we would let them in our ski show and they would let us in their dive show. I did the fi re dive many times.

submitted by: mep

There used to be some sort of diving show- people would climb up a tall pole with rungs on it, and do amazing dives into a pool which I think also held dolphins at some point in time. I remember there was one diver who did this stunt where he got caught on fire right before he dove, and so you had this flaming person falling through the air into the pool (and all of us kids were scared that he wouldn't be okay). I don't know where this show (or the pool) took off to.

submitted by: Katherine Peake

The High Diving Show was where the Batman Stunt Spectacular is now, in the Tower section. The show was at some point also a dolphin show, although I'm not sure which came first. The pool is still under the Batman arena, the park didn't have enough money to fill it in. There is a manhole backstage which you can use to get to the pool. submitted by: Beau
Closed Thread