Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Attractions

Removed Attractions Removed Attractions/shows, etc.

Old December 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Gold Tag

Default Western Union...er...Onion?

Does anyone remember the Western Union Office? You could go there and spend $11.95 or some rediculous sum like that to send some kind of Mail-Gram kind of thing to someone from Six Flags. Worked a couple of doubles there and think I maybe sold two of the mailgrams. I think you could also wire money to someone.

It was a distant outpost of Front Gate, located way in the back of the park, not to far from the employees' entrance, but I can't remember where. It was sort of like what the Faulkland Islands are to the British.

There were always some kids who would BEG to be sent to Western Union for a shift. It never occurred to me why until I actually worked there--It was well suited for the accomplished slacker. Sit there all day in air conditioned comfort with a phone that was enabled for outside calls, read a book or whatever, cruise down to the Canteen for a break when someone from Front Gate relieved you.

Heck, you could practically complete your MBA courses sitting there all summer with nothing to do, except provide directions to guests looking for the Log Ride...
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Western Union...er...Onion?

What year(s)? We can look on the maps that are stored here. Speaking of that, is there a central location where all the maps are stored?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
What year(s)? We can look on the maps that are stored here. Speaking of that, is there a central location where all the maps are stored?
http://www.sfot.net/16201.html
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
General Manager

Found it! It's on the 1983 map! Above the Jersely Lilly.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Gold Tag

I'm sort of amazed that I remembered the location so accurately. I may have been there twice in five long years of service to 6F. The structure looked and smelled new to me at the time, so I thought it was constructed especially to house the super high-tech dot-matrix printer and computer terminal, complete with keyboard and cathode-ray-tube display. Of course, the building had to be kept cool, with all this sensitive computer equipment, right? I think it was connected to the Western Union "mainframe" with a device called a "modem," which transmitted binary data over a telephone line at a blinding rate of approximately 128 bytes per minute.

I think the story behind this useless little building was that Western Union was either the parent company--or subsidiary of the parent company--holding Six Flags at the time.

In my opinion, the first "buy out" of Six Flags by a larger corporation was the beginning of the decline. Some of you young-uns may beg to differ, but the early 80's were the end of Six Flags golden age.

Does anyone with a fancy-shmancy economics or business degree understand this? Or is it just a perception that smaller companies decline (mostly in quality of product and/or customer service) after they get bought out?
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Tag

Default Kennel

Didn't really want to start a new thread, this is so trivial. But, did anyone work at the Six Flags kennel? Is that still there?

I remember going out there one time for something, but I don't remember what. I don't even know what department operated it. I think at the time the toll plaza, parking lot, and kennel were all under the umbrella of Security.

Good idea, basically. But I can see some guest leaving their blind, deaf, 37 year-old Cocker Spaniel with brittle diabetes there and then making a big stink when the attendant went to the cage to retrieve Morty to find him dead as a doornail.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
General Manager

The building is still there but.... it was used for folks that had coke cans for half off tickets when they did that, then it was used for the Texas Festival for a 3rd party vendor for one year. Then another TF they had 2 mules out in front and one tied in back of it.... Not sure what that was about. Sometimes the back of it was used to sell SFOT crap for folks leaving the park and walking to their cars.... ONCE they made employees go there to get the slip to enter the park on their days off (after they stopped letting us slip in the back door...)
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
General Manager

Quote:
The building is still there but.... it was used for folks that had coke cans for half off tickets when they did that, then it was used for the Texas Festival for a 3rd party vendor for one year. Then another TF they had 2 mules out in front and one tied in back of it.... Not sure what that was about. Sometimes the back of it was used to sell SFOT crap for folks leaving the park and walking to their cars.... ONCE they made employees go there to get the slip to enter the park on their days off (after they stopped letting us slip in the back door...)
Employees can't use the employee gate anymore on days off??? /dislike
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:51 PM
General Manager

Quote:
ONCE they made employees go there to get the slip to enter the park on their days off (after they stopped letting us slip in the back door...)
Huh. Now I think I remember someone telling me employees had to go through the front gate..but..but....why? For more accurate park counts maybe?
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
General Manager

WHAT? Employees don't go thru the back on their day off? What if they are picking up their checks or dropping something off for someone?