Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Attractions

Removed Attractions Removed Attractions/shows, etc.

Old December 15th, 2010, 09:27 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Western Union...er...Onion?

Nope. The first week I was there they allowed us to "sneak in" the back gate. I dunno if they got caught or what. 2nd week I tried they told me to go to that little building what used to be the kennel. Next time and from there on out we had to go to the guest relations window or the little building just west of the main ticket offices. Once and only once I actually got in the main turnstiles just by showing my employee ID. I highly doubt that was the proper process....
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
Next time and from there on out we had to go to the guest relations window or the little building just west of the main ticket offices. Once and only once I actually got in the main turnstiles just by showing my employee ID. I highly doubt that was the proper process....
We had to do that when I went to the Georgia park as an employee, but we also didn't know where the employee entrance was..
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Employees can't use the employee gate anymore on days off??? /dislike
Funny thing...I worked five and a half seasons there. Maybe visited the park on a day off half a dozen times, mostly to entertain out of town guests. As a child I thought that if I worked there, I would stay after work every day and ride rides, and go there on my days off. Makes me wonder if the employees at the Blue Bell plant eat very much ice cream. What about the Sam Adams brewery?
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

As of 1998, the Gas Station housed the "Kennel" which was just a room with pet carriers of various sizes in it.

The building I thought was the kennel (Doggy Hotel) was used as the traffic attendant's office while I was in Security. Maybe the Traffic/Parking Lot Attendants' Office is a different building from the old Kennel.
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pogue View Post
Funny thing...I worked five and a half seasons there. Maybe visited the park on a day off half a dozen times, mostly to entertain out of town guests. As a child I thought that if I worked there, I would stay after work every day and ride rides, and go there on my days off. Makes me wonder if the employees at the Blue Bell plant eat very much ice cream. What about the Sam Adams brewery?
I have heard that the employees at the Dogfish Head Brewery do in fact get beer. Not sure if that is true or not but I'd certainly enjoy that perk.
Shockwave - 1993
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Gold Tag

I'm just supporting the phenomenon that when you are up to your eyballs in something all day, you lose interest in it.

Work at Six Flags---you want to go to the lake on your day off.

Work at the Blue Bell factory---you want a nice slice of chocolate cake for dessert.

Disc Jockey at a night club---you want to sit down in a quiet spot and read a book on your night off.

It makes me wonder if you smelled hops, yeast, and fermenting grain all day, would you start to lose interest in beer?

Probably not.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
General Manager

I dunno. The first year I worked out there I was there from open to close regardless.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old December 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
I dunno. The first year I worked out there I was there from open to close regardless.
What were you doing? Riding rides? Meeting girls? Working double shifts?

I was too scared of the supervisors to get spotted out of uniform chatting it up with other employees on duty, so that diminished the lure of "hanging out" after or before a shift. I wasn't even that interested in working "doubles," which may be part of why my Six Flags career never really made it into orbit.

After a couple of seasons at Front Gate, dealing with about 2.7 million guests, I got tired of public places. So...even as a teenager I gravitated toward places that weren't so crowded for my entertainment needs.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pogue View Post
What were you doing? Riding rides? Meeting girls? Working double shifts?
My first year I almost always went out an hour or so early.
I went around and visited at various shops and pink thing stands.
I know almost all of the day shift pink thing girls.

Plus, gifts and food services rotated at 4:00 and we rotated at 5:00. So, there was thirty minutes or so when you could visit other night shift people at their stands and stores before getting ready for work.

I was never really worried about getting caught, because I figured I was so far off the radar that no rides supervisors would ever recognize me out of uniform.

We always watched for other people's supervisors and I would just stroll away for instance if a food's supe came around while I was visiting. I don't recall ever getting anyone in any trouble. The pink thing stands were rather risky because they could be viewed from a distance from several directions and there was no reason for anyone to linger there. In the stores you were usually pretty safe, as you couldn't be seen until the supe entered the store and you could always act like you were shopping or waiting on someone.

In addition, I might go down to River to hear someone on day crew do their spiel. (I was working river nights at the time.)

I spent some time at the travel exhibit that housed the Six Flags Model. The girl that worked in there usually had no one to talk to. It was a pretty slow exhibit. In addition, there was no reason for a supervisor to ever come in. It was almost like that place didn't exists for guests or employees.

I didn't visit much at rides because it was harder to get to where the employees where and there were less places to move to if a supervisor came around.

Of course, it was always easy to visit with the conductor working the dock at railroad.

Unless I was working a double, however, I didn't generally spend the day there.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
I spent some time at the travel exhibit that housed the Six Flags Model. The girl that worked in there usually had no one to talk to. It was a pretty slow exhibit. In addition, there was no reason for a supervisor to ever come in. It was almost like that place didn't exists for guests or employees.
I've always wondered -- whatever happened to that model? I think it would be great for a "50th Season" display....assuming it still exists and could be restored.