Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Attractions

Removed Attractions Removed Attractions/shows, etc.

Old February 28th, 2008, 10:09 AM
General Manager

Default The Arena Located In The Texas Section

In 1965, Six Flags added an arena to the Texas list of attractions. Located on the far northern side across the railroad tracks near the Log Ride, the arena actually resembled a horse racetrack with its oval shape and outdoor grandstands. Capable of seating 2,500 people, the arena hosted a three-ring circus during its first season, complete with clowns, acrobats, and animal acts. Near the left side in the first ring, tigers jumped through hoops and riders performed stunts on horses. Elephants showed their abilities in the middle ring while clowns of all types displayed their antics in the third. On the right side, acrobats went through the motions between two adjacent poles. Altogether, the circus troupe performed fourteen acts for each show three times daily in the afternoon.

The following year, it hosted a Wild West show in the spirit of Buffalo Bill. It included wagon races, rope tricks, sharp shooting, horse riding stunts, knife throwing skills, and bullwhip tricks.

In 1970, the park completely remodeled the Arena in the Texas section. It also removed the Wild West Show and introduced another program called Los Voladores, interpreted as The Flying Indians. The new act involved an ancient rite performed by the Tontonacan Indians of Veracruz. The tribe based the ritual on a myth. According to the story, the people faced starvation from a drought and five men decided to send a message to Xipe Totec, the god of fertility, hoping he would put an end to their hardships. They found the tallest tree, climbed on top, and dressed like birds so they could make the request. They attached vines to the tree then spun toward the ground to the sound of a flute and drum.

For the performance, four Indians donned colorful bird costumes and climbed a 150-foot pole that symbolized the connection between the gods and mankind. The chief followed them when they reached the twelve-inch platform, wearing a red-and-white costume with a multi-colored headdress, representing the sun and the rainbow. The flyers tied their ankles to the ropes as they waited for the chief to play the flute while jumping and dancing on a drum. When the music started, the four men left the platformís edge and spiraled downwards thirteen times before reaching the ground. This spectacular feat was performed five times daily.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Lost in the mists of time

Yet another piece of SF history that totally escaped me, even when I was working there. I didn't know it existed until I saw an image of an old map a while back, showing it about where the Texas Giant is now.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Blue Tag

It was also the site of my first ever concert experience in 1973. Jim Croce shortly before his plane crash. It was also fun to explore the stables behind the arena.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
In 1970, ...For the performance, four Indians donned colorful bird costumes and climbed a 150-foot pole that symbolized the connection between the gods and mankind. The chief followed them when they reached the twelve-inch platform, wearing a red-and-white costume with a multi-colored headdress, representing the sun and the rainbow. The flyers tied their ankles to the ropes as they waited for the chief to play the flute while jumping and dancing on a drum. When the music started, the four men left the platformís edge and spiraled downwards thirteen times before reaching the ground. This spectacular feat was performed five times daily.
WOW! I remember seeing this show when I was 10. What they did was extremely scary. I always wondered exactly where in the park this was held. I could never figure it out. Thanks, now I know.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
General Manager

When I first read about this, the first thing that came to mind was the Cirque Du Soleil.
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM
General Manager

Six Flags officials decided they wanted to have big concerts in 1971. These concerts were held at the Texas Arena until the Music Mill opened in 1974.
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I think I saw a picture of that stunt on a viewmaster slide.
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Six Flags officials decided they wanted to have big concerts in 1971. These concerts were held at the Texas Arena until the Music Mill opened in 1974.
Not sure of the exact timeframe, but I believe they held concerts in the parking lot at some point. Early 80s maybe?
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Black Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
Not sure of the exact timeframe, but I believe they held concerts in the parking lot at some point. Early 80s maybe?
Yep, I saw Linda Rondstat in a concert in the parking lot area one of the years I worked there (78-80).
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
General Manager

If I was asked to perform in a parking lot, I would feel insulted.