Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Attractions

Removed Attractions Removed Attractions/shows, etc.

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
Not sure of the exact timeframe, but I believe they held concerts in the parking lot at some point. Early 80s maybe?
Yeah it was during a time when they were renovating and expanding the Music Mill. Sometime around mid-80's I think. Jeremy could probably remember as he loves to talk about the Nightranger concert out there.
Old July 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
If I was asked to perform in a parking lot, I would feel insulted.
you don't think that most of the acts hadn't performed in worse places during their career...
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
Yeah it was during a time when they were renovating and expanding the Music Mill. Sometime around mid-80's I think.
The Music Mill re-opened in 1986 and I've seen some YouTube vids of a Christian concert taking place in 1984. So I'm guessing they used the parking lot in 1985, maybe some of 1986 if construction was slow.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Blue Tag

It sticks in my mind that Blue Oyster Cult performed in the parking lot in 1981 or thereabouts. A friend of mine worked the stage lighting.
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Medford View Post
It sticks in my mind that Blue Oyster Cult performed in the parking lot in 1981 or thereabouts. A friend of mine worked the stage lighting.
Wasn't that when they brought "Godzilla"? It seems the Music Mill stage couldn't accomodate the rig for it or something.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Wasn't that when they brought "Godzilla"? It seems the Music Mill stage couldn't accomodate the rig for it or something.
Yeah, I remember my friend mentioning Godzilla.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
Not sure of the exact timeframe, but I believe they held concerts in the parking lot at some point. Early 80s maybe?
I saw Night Ranger in the parking lot Labor Day weekend '83. I think they had The Fixx and Billy Idol also do shows in the parking lot. The stage was backed up to the old Security Trailer and the crowd was in the parking lot in front of HR. That was before they expanded the Music Mill.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Yeah it was during a time when they were renovating and expanding the Music Mill. Sometime around mid-80's I think. Jeremy could probably remember as he loves to talk about the Nightranger concert out there.
Heh... busted ;-)
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Red Tag

Default Music Mill

I'm a little confused and forgetful. In the summer of 1986 or 87 when Flume 2 broke down for 2 weeks we were sent to the Music Mill to put the benches in the Music Mill with wrenches and screwdrivers (this was real work). Was this then a re-furg and them making it where it could hold more people or was this the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Six Flags officials decided they wanted to have big concerts in 1971. These concerts were held at the Texas Arena until the Music Mill opened in 1974.
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
General Manager

I think that timing sounds about right for the renovation/expansion, Thomas.