Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Gone, but not forgotton Rides/Attractions > Removed Attractions

Removed Attractions Removed Attractions/shows, etc.

Old February 28th, 2008, 11:18 AM
General Manager

Default Krofft Theatre

Peter Krofft operated a puppet theater in Athens, Greece and gained recognition for the serious, artistic nature of his productions. His popularity allowed him to seek audiences throughout Europe. The craft passed down from one generation to the next through the eldest son. Born in 1929, Sid Krofft was chosen to be the family puppeteer for the fifth generation. Sid entered Vaudeville at the age of seven, often billed as the youngest puppeteer in America. Later, he performed for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. Despite the closure of the Krofft Theater in 1946, Sid continued his career by creating a one-man show called The Unusual Artistry of Sid Krofft.

In 1960, Sid reopened his theater and employed his 23-year-old brother Marty. Sid acted as the creative force while Marty handled the finances. Their big break came two years later at the Seattle World’s Fair. The brothers presented a show which had already been proven successful throughout Eur-ope five years earlier. However, they felt unsure about America’s reaction be-cause of the nation’s prudish, conservative nature. Les Poupees de Paris was a bawdy show filled with topless showgirls, dirty jokes, and double entendres. The main highlight of the show, however, was the appearance of celebrity puppets such as Frank Sinatra, Liberace, Brigitte Bardot, Frankenstein, Gypsy Rose, and many others. Billy Graham, who presided over the opening ceremonies, publicly condemned the show, effectively sparking a surge of interest in the production. As a result, the brothers had to turn away 23,000 people on its second day. This action caused the show to receive national attention on the evening news. The frivolous puppet show entertained six million visitors and earned twelve million dollars. Sid and Marty Krofft performed another show for the 1964 New York World’s Fair and gained the attention of Angus Wynne. Angus later asked if they would be interested in establishing a permanent puppet show theater at Six Flags Over Texas and they agreed.

The two brothers held their first production inside a building located across the railroad tracks south of Boomtown and east of the Happy Motoring Highway. Designed by Sid Krofft, the theater’s exterior represented various nations and time periods. A large, dark pink building with two columns on each side stood in the center. A clock located at the triangular apex told visitors the time. Below it, a large stage with white, drawn curtains displayed a Southern belle courting her dance partner. The wooden entrance door was shaped like an archway between two tiny, circular windows. To its left, a black-striped, white box housed a member of the British Royal Guard in full costume. Two couples wearing eighteenth-century clothing stood and waved from the balconies of the neighboring columns. A thin, red tower on either side had a window which periodically opened to reveal a figure. Each side also possessed a medieval, tented stage where a jester and his companion gestured toward the audience. Below, twin doors allowed visitors to leave the theater. On the left side, a town in India stood next to a Chinese structure. The right side depicted three tents with a Middle-Eastern city looming in the background.

The air-conditioned auditorium seated a maximum of 1,200 people. The first presentation was titled The Krofft Brothers Puppet Circus Show, which was shortened to The Circus. It featured a large number of acts incorporating a wide variety of puppets such as can-can girls, troublesome animals, aerial acrobats, popular celebrities, and Hollywood monsters. At one point of the show, a member of the last group left the stage and tromped along the aisles, terrifying the little children in the process. Despite the glowing reviews and wonderful reception, the puppet show suffered from low attendance because it was located on the off-beaten trail away from the major sections. However, this changed the following year.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Behind every successful puppeteer ...

Interesting to think that SFOT is in some measure responsible for the eventual appearance of shows like Sigmund and the Sea Monsters and H.R. Pufnstuf.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

My favorite part of this show in the 70's was the large flying saucer that had blinking lights and ran on a wire from the catwalk above the audience to the stage. I'm such a geek.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old February 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
General Manager

The one thing I remember from the show was this big ape which got off the stage and started prowling the aisles.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
General Manager

Default That was no ape!

That was no ape! That was my (soon to be) mother in law!!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Blue Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
My favorite part of this show in the 70's was the large flying saucer that had blinking lights and ran on a wire from the catwalk above the audience to the stage. I'm such a geek.
I'd forgotten about the flying saucer. But I've always remembered the ape jumping off the stage and coming down the aisle ... I was always sure that he was going to reach out and grab me.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Blue Tag

I was fond of the puppet Tina Turner doing "Proud Mary".
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
General Manager

As I recall, they showed the exterior of the theatre all the time on this kid's show called The Banana Splits .
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
General Manager

Default Puffnstuff Puppet Show

The Puffnstuff Puppet Show was started in 1971. It was loosely based on the NBC kid's show, which at the time had enjoyed its fifth successful season. Using the same voices as the kiddie program, the show featured 86 characters including Puffnstuff, Witchie Poo, Stupid Bat, a group of talking trees, and a kid resembling the character portrayed by Jack Wild ( He earned his fame by playing Artful Dodger in Oliver! ) The only part of the show which was revealed to the press was a scene where Witchie Poo made her entrance by flying on a broom from the back of the theatre to stage before jumping off and going into a musical number with Stupid Bat. The Puffnstuff Puppet Show was 30 minutes long and occurred every hour on the hour.
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
General Manager

Default Krofft Theatre Blaze

The fire of the Krofft Theatre which has surfaced from time to time on this forum occurred on July 24, 1973. That fateful Monday morning, a worker was using chemicals to remove old carpeting. When he tried to light a cigarette, the flame touched the chemical and created a massive ball of fire. The 16 workers inside the building safely escaped. The fire amazingly spared the puppet stage but did 15-20 thousand dollars worth of damage. The theatre closed for repairs with an expected reopening timespan of a week.