Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
General Manager

Default Fake Disney park in China?

Well, it's not the first time that a copycat Disney park has operated in the Asian world, but this one has really been blatantly ripping off Disney, right down to the characters. Apparently the government has hindered Disney from having legal muscle to enforce any copyright infringement, but I'm thinking that may be changing with the recently-announced Shanghai Disney park breaking ground that will be co-created by Disney and a Chinese company. This copycat park abruptly removed most of the disputed items and characters, so maybe the government is finally playing ball. In my opinion, about time.

Here's an article with pics and videos (a few of the videos are no longer working).
http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/05/02...land-in-china/

Old June 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Fake Disney park in China?

Looking at that pic, I must say that is the most shameful, blatant rip-off I've ever seen.
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
General Manager

Strange .. it's like a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." But usually, Disney would be the ones who can't be beat.. I sure as hell wouldn't want to build a park in China after they ripped off my brand, then told me nothing would be done about it.
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

All I can say is Wow!
That's horrible. I thought the Chinese thefts of design was bad enough. This goes way beyond a toaster, radio, bicycle, or computer chip. This is an entire concept. It boggles the mind to think they have no qualms about stealing ideas.

What would happen to a Chinese student if he was caught copying off another student's paper? I would bet a severe beating would ensue. Somebody should tie these execs in a "Small World" boat for repeated brain washings.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old June 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
General Manager

These parks in other countries usually rip off more than one brand...I can almost guarantee you that there is a SpongeBob/Bugs Bunny/Shrek somewhere in that park
Old June 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
These parks in other countries usually rip off more than one brand...I can almost guarantee you that there is a SpongeBob/Bugs Bunny/Shrek somewhere in that park
Yeah, in fact I saw a pic of their Shrek knockoff, plus they also ripped off Hello Kitty and several others. And I thought they were desperately reaching a bit when they said their Mickey and Minnie clones were actually cats with really big ears.

I know that the new "official" Disney park will kick some a$$ and take names, just as they did in Japan. For those who don't know about Nara Dreamland in Nara, Japan, it was built as a knock-off when Walt Disney refused to build a Disney park in Japan. Once Tokyo Disneyland opened during the 80's, Nara Dreamland started going downhill. It eventually closed in 2006. Here's a link about the park so you can see just how far a few Japan businessmen were willing to go. While the attention to detail wasn't amazing by Disney's high standards, you can definitely see what these other folks were trying to copy:
http://retardzone.com/2008/10/16/the...ara-dreamland/

Original Disneyland castle

Nara Dreamland castle
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Wow! I'd never heard of Nara Dreamland. Those are strikingly similar rides/attractions.

I like these...

So, I feel bad now giving Six Flags such a beating over calling a Pink Thing, a Pink Thing without it being a Pink Thing. What is real anymore? Help!

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET