Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM
General Manager

Well, once again I choose the wrong words, so I'm just going to delete the post.

Last edited by cleusk; July 9th, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
I had a problem with your orginal words (as seen in Indiswish post) but I let it go...I think these may be worse...they (Disney and everyone involved) need to dwell on them and never forget them so that it never happens again
Anytime there are situations of this nature, there really are no words to express ones feelings. It never looks correct in print. All I think Clint is saying is that you learn, pay respect, and move on. It really is the way the world works..the way humans work and especially the way America works. Should we have quit with Apollo 1? That was a horrendous fire but, then the engineers learned from it, and moved forward. Not forgetting but, again not being consumed entirely by the tragedy. If we continue to dwell on mistakes we make, won't we become so 'gun-shy' we won't be able to move? I'm not saying forget either. ...and to that point I think Disney should name their monorails and name one in honor of that pilot.

I really think we're all saying the same thing and again...it never looks right in print. my 2 cents.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Platinum Tag !

I'm amazed by two things concerning this accident:

1. That such a complex control system could have so many glaring holes that rely on human intervention and that so many people failed to catch the problem that caused this accident. I know this whole incident probably played out very quickly, but you would think someone other than the deceased would have realized that something wasn't right.

2. That they opened so quickly after the accident.

That being said, I'll issue my standard line with regard to federal oversight and intervention involving amusement rides: The very livelihood of an amusement/theme park's business depends on providing a safe atmosphere. If federal oversight is more redundant in another industry other than this one, I have a hard time thinking of one.
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
Anytime there are situations of this nature, there really are no words to express ones feelings. It never looks correct in print. All I think Clint is saying is that you learn, pay respect, and move on. It really is the way the world works..the way humans work and especially the way America works. Should we have quit with Apollo 1? That was a horrendous fire but, then the engineers learned from it, and moved forward. Not forgetting but, again not being consumed entirely by the tragedy. If we continue to dwell on mistakes we make, won't we become so 'gun-shy' we won't be able to move? I'm not saying forget either. ...and to that point I think Disney should name their monorails and name one in honor of that pilot.

I really think we're all saying the same thing and again...it never looks right in print. my 2 cents.
I know what Clint was aiming for, he just didn't get it out in a very good way...I think the much better way is kinda like you said...never forget the errors made in the past but keep moving forward so that it doesn't happen again and do in the future while remembering those of the past...and that doesn't apply specifically to this incident, but many things in life

As far as naming the monorail, I don't think I can agree with you, as that would almost add a negative feeling to it...I do think a nice plaque our small memorial near the station would be nice though, nothing intrusive but there for those that would like to remember him, maybe even a window on Main Street which is about the highest honour you can get from Disney...and I think they should retire the pink and purple monorail colors...and coral also since it's just like pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
I'm amazed by two things concerning this accident:

1. That such a complex control system could have so many glaring holes that rely on human intervention and that so many people failed to catch the problem that caused this accident. I know this whole incident probably played out very quickly, but you would think someone other than the deceased would have realized that something wasn't right.

2. That they opened so quickly after the accident.

That being said, I'll issue my standard line with regard to federal oversight and intervention involving amusement rides: The very livelihood of an amusement/theme park's business depends on providing a safe atmosphere. If federal oversight is more redundant in another industry other than this one, I have a hard time thinking of one.
I have the same feelings as your #1...how did so many people drop the ball on this when this is a daily routine for the last 25 or so years since they opened the EPCOT line or even the whole 38 years that they've ran the monorail...and maybe that is part of the problem...it was so routine they got lazy

As far as number two goes, it only slightly surprised me that they reopened it two days after the accident. I think they felt comfortable reopening since it was a freak accident (that unfortunatly caused a death) and they could immediatly implement new safety features and procedures to prevent it from happening again. I'm not saying that those two things make it right that they reopened it, but since it is a major mode of transportaion at WDW in one of the busiest seasons at WDW I think they may have been under (self)pressure to get it open as soon as possible. I do know that when it reopened they didn't load all the tracks with all the monorails as they would on a regular day and kept more space in between them than the normal 2 checkpoints, but haven't heard if they have upped them back up yet, but I would think not. I will be on property in about 2 weeks and will have no doubts about riding them, and when (if) they decided to reinstitute the ride up front policy (which is suspended right now for obvious reasons) I'll do that again to when I get a chance.

and just for clarification on the fed oversight...do you think it's not enough, to much, or not needed? I think I know what you're saying and agrre with you...just want a little more clarification
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Ok...I'm sold on the window idea then. Subtle yet effective.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Upon reading this info I thought it was weird that Disney allows the monorails to back up without a pilot in the back of the train. We were always told that if we had the coaches attached and were backing up we had to have a conductor back there so they could hit the big hole in case of an emergency. I guess they thought that with all of the sensors and computer monitoring that you wouldn't need a pilot on the front and back to change lines. Perhaps this will change due to this accident.
I can answer my own questions thanks to an article in the Orlanado Sentinal...it used to be standard operating procedure that when switching the monorail from one line to the other the pilot was to shutdown the front cabin and proceed to the rear of the train, power that end up (thereby making it the front cab) and then backup to the switch that way the could physically see the switch being moved and then proceed forward so they could see what was in front of them and park the monorail in the correct spot at the roundhouse...however in recent years, the procedure morphed into the one that was used the morning of the accident, were the pilot moved forward to the switch and then backed up onto the other line, using only his mirrors and control screen to guide the train and then once it was on the other line they would do the cab switchover when they got to a station...one of the reasons given why they changed the way they did it was that it would take anywhere from 3-7 minutes to change over the cab which would often cause the other trains to back up so as a way to save time they often did it this way...needless to say they have gone back to the orginal procedure

So does anybody really care about my updates anymore?
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM
General Manager

Quote:

I'm reading them, Vance. Just too busy this week to comment much. My kids have been with me all month, relegating me to "Lurker Mode" on the forums sometimes.

Thanks for following this story for us from a local's perspective while living in Florida.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I find this all fascinating, I just don't know anything about it.
I try to only post when I can add something to the discussion.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
and just for clarification on the fed oversight...do you think it's not enough, to much, or not needed? I think I know what you're saying and agrre with you...just want a little more clarification
Not needed. The industry has a financial interest in putting out a safe product. And if federal oversight was as haphazard and random as current oversight in the state of Texas, it would be a total waste of resources.
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedmister View Post
I'm reading them, Vance. Just too busy this week to comment much. My kids have been with me all month, relegating me to "Lurker Mode" on the forums sometimes.

Thanks for following this story for us from a local's perspective while living in Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
I find this all fascinating, I just don't know anything about it.
I try to only post when I can add something to the discussion.
Ok, I just wanted to see if there was interest in the story...its ok if you don't leave a comment...was just curious if anyone was keeping up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBS View Post
Not needed. The industry has a financial interest in putting out a safe product. And if federal oversight was as haphazard and random as current oversight in the state of Texas, it would be a total waste of resources.
That's what I thought you meant and do agree with you