Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old October 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM
General Manager

Default Disney buys LucasFilms

Disney announced today they have bought LucasFilms for 4 billion dollars in cash and stock (pretty much what they bought Marvel for 3 years ago)...now Disney has control over Star Wars, Indiana Jones (kinda), Howard the Duck(which they kinda did with the Marvel purchase), and all the other Lucas film properties and ILM

A few years ago I would have been on the weary of this even though the two companies have a long history together, but seeing how Marvel has thrived under Disney I think this is going to be great for the movies and parks

They have already announced plans for Star Wars Episode 7 in Summer 2015, the same Summer Avengers 2 comes out...the other studios might as well not even try
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Disney buys LucasFilms

Either way, Han shot first!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg han-solo-greedo.jpg (95.9 KB, 2 views)
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I'd like to see the following from this:

#1) a Blu-Ray remaster of the ORIGINAL original trilogy, WITHOUT Lucas' revisionist history changes. Worst of all, totally stupid to put 22 year old Anakin in the last scene of Return of the Jedi. He still left in Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan, and he didn't put in whatever young Yoda looked like. Luke had no idea what young Anakin looked like, anyway.

#2) I would love for the next movies to be based on Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy. Following that, the Jedi Academy series. I don't think this would be possible using Hammil, Ford, and Fisher given their ages now. However, see #4

#3) a TV show (live action or animated, either way) based on the X-Wing: Rogue Squadron books.

#4) New Jedi Order series of books would be a good source to mine, and could go well with ages of the original trilogy actors (though they are still quite a bit older than the characters, they can do a lot with movie makeup.)

George Lucas brought us an amazing universe, but I'm actually kind of glad to see the property out of his hands now. Given the long-term success of the James Bond series, I think there is a place and a fan base for a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years.
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
General Manager

it will be quite interesting to see where the movie's go...there has been so many books written after the original trilogy that there is a lot to get ideas from, but I think the story line will be something that hasn't been done before...I would imagine that Lucas and crew has done at least some work towards 7 if Disney expects to release it in 2015 but I wonder how much of that will be cut...of course some fans are hoping that Jon Farveau or Joss Whedon will get a shot at directing one of the new films...I think the chances of seeing any of the original actors (well face ones, Peter Mayhew and Anthony Daniels will prob be back) is going to be slim as Hamill would prob be the only one interested in doing it again (Ford might if given enough cash, but it'd have to be a TON)...I do like your ideas

Who wants to guess how long it is before a American Graffiti remake? Maybe we'll get another Howard the Duck (which I was a fan of in my young days...watching it now it hasn't held up but Lea Thompson is still hot)

I think Disney will be fairly hands off with the other aspects of Lucas's empire including ILM and Skywalker Sound...why mess with two divisions that are considered the best in the industry
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Given that Ford wanted Lucas to kill off Han Solo in Empire, I really doubt that he would be down with another run through the Star Wars universe.

Yeah, everything I'm hearing now is that the new movie won't be based on anything that is already out there. I think I'm ok with that.

How would you cast the big three characters in a new post-Jedi movie?

Luke - Joseph Gordon Levitt
Han - Nathan Fillion or Hugh Jackman or Tahmo Penniket
Leia - Mila Kunis or Morena Baccarin

*edit*
After thinking about it most of the day, I thought I'd add Olivia Wilde to the Leia list, actually at the top of the list.

Last edited by JStroop; November 2nd, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
How would you cast the big three characters in a new post-Jedi movie?

Luke - Joseph Gordon Levitt
Han - Nathan Fillion or Hugh Jackman or Tahmo Penniket
Leia - Mila Kunis or Morena Baccarin

*edit*
After thinking about it most of the day, I thought I'd add Olivia Wilde to the Leia list, actually at the top of the list.
interesting...

Luke: Jackson Rathbone, Anton Yelchin
Leia: Anna Kendrick, Alicja Bachleda
Han: Karl Urban

and one more

Lando: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Anthony Mackie

Personally I think it might be better to go with relatively unknowns instead of household names, but either way I hope they lock them in for 3 and then move on...I like the trilogy format for story arc and characters...I think that was one of the worst parts of epi 1-3 was that they changed Anakin after epi 1 because of the lapse of time
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:50 PM
General Manager

I thought about Karl Urban, too - but I thought he might be too quiet and brooding to be Han... granted, I'm basing that on his roles of Eomer, The Guy in Doom, and Woodrow F Call... he was able to open it up a little bit as Dr McCoy, though... I can see it.

I couldn't remember Anna Kendrick - but I looked at her IMDB and the only thing I've seen her in was Scott Pilgrim Vs the World... and I've never heard of Alicja - and don't recognize anything she's been in. Really, I'd take any brunette actress as long as it wasn't Kristin Stewart.

I'm also on board with some relative unknowns for the roles... as long as they can act better than Hayden "Manakin" Christiansen.
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Really, I'd take any brunette actress as long as it wasn't Kristin Stewart.
this time infinity...she is the worst...I wish she and Brandon Routh would go away forever and quit ruining movies (and tv shows)
Old November 6th, 2012, 03:51 PM
General Manager

heh... I liked Brandon Routh in Scott Pilgrim. That's the only thing I've seen him in that I did like, though.
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
General Manager

Quote:
heh... I liked Brandon Routh in Scott Pilgrim. That's the only thing I've seen him in that I did like, though.
ok, I'll say he was funny in that role, but only because of the whole vegan power thing and he plays(?) stupid very well

going back to the Harrison Ford thing....I saw a interview where they asked him about 7 after the Disney buyout...he said maybe but would insist he dies in 7 and wouldn't do any more after that point (and it referenced back to the thing you were talking about that he wanted Han to die in the original trilogy)...honestly I'd rather see them go younger and keep Han around until 8, then kill him