Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Other Stuff > Disney Parks

Old October 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
General Manager

Default Re: Too Confounded For Words

If you look at the planes carefully, you can see that the new decorations are easily removable.
Old October 8th, 2014, 04:32 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
If you look at the planes carefully, you can see that the new decorations are easily removable.
Agreed. They look like removable window decals or a sunshade that would sit on a dashboard.
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:56 PM
General Manager

yeah, they're def just decals but the point is that they're there...as I said I understand the why, I just don't care for them personally...and really it's moot at this point since the ride is now closed
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:17 PM
General Manager

Any word about what they're going to put in its place?
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:26 AM
General Manager

Quote:
Any word about what they're going to put in its place?
the latest rumors are that it will be used to extend the Pixar Place area (which only consists of Toy Story Mania now) to make it a complete land based around Pixar films consisting mainly of flats/carnival/kiddie rides that can be found in the other parks (Green Army Men Parachute Drop & RC Racer from Paris, Flicks Flyers & Hemlichs Chew-Chew from DCA)to appeal to more kids (especially boys) and increase the ride capacity of the park...it was rumored at one point that they would clone Carsland from DCA for the whole area but now it's thought that we will only get Radiator Springs Racers and a mini Route 66 and not the full version, but that would be phase 2 and built where Lights Motor Action is now...other strong rumors are that they are building a third track for TSM in the old soundstage right next to it to and that it will only be for standby people and the 2 main tracks will be FP+ only (or vice versa)...there are still rumors that they will finally build a Monsters Inc Door Coaster (new) or a Crush's Coaster (Paris) but I think that is less likely if Radiator Springs Racers comes in

It is possible that they could choose to build Star Wars land there but most think the more likely location for that expansion will be on the left hand side of the park starting where Star Tours is now and extending back towards where Muppets/Streets of America is

If that happens Muppets might get pushed to the other side of the park where the Animation Building is and finally get their "land" that was planned but never built around there current location

So basically you walk in/down Hollywood Blvd towards the Great Movie Ride (which will prob be scrapped or replaced at some point), on the right would be Sunset Blvd leading you down to Tower of Terror and RockNRoller Coaster, as you get to the hub to you left will be Lucas Land with the Indy show and Star Wars, to the right will be Muppets/Little Mermaid/Disney Jr/etc, and in front (kinda, more to the side) will be Pixar land

of course this is all rumors and hearsay with prob some arm-chair imagineering thrown in but for sure the Studios will be getting a LARGE influx of capital improvements and will be a totally different place in 10 years (but first they gotta get Avatar-land and all the new stuff at AK built before they can push hard with the big stuff at DHS)

I would really suggest listening to "The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill" podcast as it has a lot of good info and good for a laugh or too
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:50 AM
General Manager

And the reason for a lot of these changes is that Universal is really starting to draw away the Disney crowds and they don't like it one bit...

Granted Universal will never be a huge resort like Disney or draw those kind of numbers simply because of who they are but now instead of being an after thought to Disney ("oh yeah, I guess we could go to Universal for the day while at Disney") people are booking several days there ("we are going to Disney AND Universal") which disrupts Disney plan to grab you at the airport, "trap" you at their resort, and then take you back to the airport...as more people go to Universal they get rental cars which means they are prob more open to staying off site or leaving property to eat instead of giving all the cash to Disney

Universal is building like crazy in both of their parks, adding more hotels, and rumored to build a new water park (even though they own Wet N Wild across the road from them, they treat it more like an association than one of their parks and it will prob be sold or flattened and sold for the land if the water park does get built) which I think has caught Disney off guard so they are pushing to make sure people want to come to them by revamping the parks which have been kinda stuck in a rut
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
I'm still trying to process this decision.
http://www.mynews13.com/content/news...raction_c.html
I think Disney went the easy way out and decided to do this. But really Frozen has no business being in Norway pavilion. World Showcase has always been a draw because it's adult Disney without all of the kiddy embellishments that exist everywhere else. Disney knows but will never acknowledge it that Avatar land, albeit will probably be cool, was a bad idea. But they are committed. Avatar seemed right but has quickly soured and has all of the money for the right ides tied up. Frozen is hip and the cool thing right now hard to know if it will have long term staying power, but my three year old certainly thinks so. Frozen just wonky and out of place at Epcot. If I were a shareholder and maybe I am through investments, idk, I would be upset that the company chose an easy approach versus the correct approach.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
Here is Walt's plane and a WW II Fighter with their "Planes the Movie" look.
I think the fighter was in Tora, Tora, Tora.

Attachment 4590Attachment 4591
How embarrassing. As an aviation enthusiast that just makes me cringe. As a Disney enthusiast that also makes me cringe, because it disrespects the whole idea and purpose of the ride.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Platinum Tag !

I would hold off on calling Avatar a mistake until it's open. I remember predictions that Harry Potter was on the downhill slide and that Universal was jumping in too late to keep up the popularity. I haven't seen Avatar, so I'm pretty ambivalent as far as its presence in Disney goes.

Vance - I always appreciate your Disney insight. I haven't been to WDW in 10 years (although I'm going to an IAAPA event in new Fantasyland next month) and we're in the early stages of planning a mega-trip for the 4 year old next fall. I'll have to pick your brain for some advice.
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
the latest rumors are that it will be used to extend the Pixar Place area (which only consists of Toy Story Mania now) to make it a complete land based around Pixar films consisting mainly of flats/carnival/kiddie rides that can be found in the other parks (Green Army Men Parachute Drop & RC Racer from Paris, Flicks Flyers & Hemlichs Chew-Chew from DCA)to appeal to more kids (especially boys) and increase the ride capacity of the park...it was rumored at one point that they would clone Carsland from DCA for the whole area but now it's thought that we will only get Radiator Springs Racers and a mini Route 66 and not the full version, but that would be phase 2 and built where Lights Motor Action is now...other strong rumors are that they are building a third track for TSM in the old soundstage right next to it to and that it will only be for standby people and the 2 main tracks will be FP+ only (or vice versa)...there are still rumors that they will finally build a Monsters Inc Door Coaster (new) or a Crush's Coaster (Paris) but I think that is less likely if Radiator Springs Racers comes in

It is possible that they could choose to build Star Wars land there but most think the more likely location for that expansion will be on the left hand side of the park starting where Star Tours is now and extending back towards where Muppets/Streets of America is

If that happens Muppets might get pushed to the other side of the park where the Animation Building is and finally get their "land" that was planned but never built around there current location

So basically you walk in/down Hollywood Blvd towards the Great Movie Ride (which will prob be scrapped or replaced at some point), on the right would be Sunset Blvd leading you down to Tower of Terror and RockNRoller Coaster, as you get to the hub to you left will be Lucas Land with the Indy show and Star Wars, to the right will be Muppets/Little Mermaid/Disney Jr/etc, and in front (kinda, more to the side) will be Pixar land

of course this is all rumors and hearsay with prob some arm-chair imagineering thrown in but for sure the Studios will be getting a LARGE influx of capital improvements and will be a totally different place in 10 years (but first they gotta get Avatar-land and all the new stuff at AK built before they can push hard with the big stuff at DHS)

I would really suggest listening to "The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill" podcast as it has a lot of good info and good for a laugh or too
I agree with most people and think that the Backlot's best days are far behind it and it's best it's been closed. I'm not sure how I feel about a Pixar related area, although I'm open to changing my mind on that.

I, like everyone else, are anticipating future Star Wars additions but Disney will miss a cash cow if it's not a massive addition. If Disney doesn't do Star Wars right within the park I imagine the backlash will be so severe it would cost the CEO his job. That's why I think Disney will wait until the movies pan out critically and popularly before committing to such an endeavor.

I'm a huge Muppets fan and if they must vacate at some point, I will be utterly disgusted at Disney if they don't properly find them a new home within the park. I so wish there were more Muppet things to do in Hollywood Studios

I hope they don't drop the Movie Ride. It is so much fun and is ripe to be revamped. The beauty of such a ride concept is that movies come and go, so you have endless classic movies to choose from to revamp the ride with on let's say a decade long rotation or something like that.