Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Shows and Attractions

Shows and Attractions Shows discussion

Old June 9th, 2007, 08:50 AM
General Manager

Default The College Review

From 1961 t0 1967, there used to be a show called The Campus Review, which was held first at the amphitheatre then moved to the Southern Palace when it was built. As it became more popular, they held auditions for the show at various colleges and universities in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico, and other staes in the Southwest. One of the auditioners who became part of the show even came from the state of New York. The winners worked their butt off every day of the weeki n preparation of the show. The show was mainly built like an old-fashioned, loosely plotted musical with specialty acts like jugglers and ventriliquists added to the mix.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Gold Tag

Yea, one of my earliest memories of 6F is going to the ampitheater to see that show and sitting on those hard concrete seats. I distinctly remember one part of the show where they had a fashion show and all the girls would parade around (I seem to remember swimwear but might be mistaken). I remember the emcee saying something like "fellas, look at these beautiful girls" and me taking out my "pirates" spyglass that I got at Skull Island. Good gosh...I was such a goober...couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years old!
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Black Tag

HI TO ANYONE THAT REMEMBERS CAMPUS REVUE .....WAS A MEMBER OF THE 1966 SHOW.."LET'S DO IT"....ONE OF THE BEST SUMMERS OF MY LIFE...OTHER CAST MEMBERS FROM THAT SUMMER THAT YOU MIGHT HAVE HEARD OF ARE...JAY JOHNSON...WHO WON A TONY LAST YEAR..AND CISSY KING OF THE LAWRENCE WELK SHOW...TO SCOTT...YES PART OF THE SHOW HAD..."SHOW GIRLS"....AND WE ENDED THE SHOW IN BATHING SUITS....HOPE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE THAT REMEMBERS....
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Default Photos and more

As luck would have it, I have a whole set of photos from the 1966 on my website:

http://parktimes.com/sections/confideracy/spalace.php

There is even a Gary Corrotto on the sign.

Photos courtesy of Cast Member LaVerne Huselton Catter.

I may have some more from this set that I didn't post.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Platinum Tag !

Default Your show of shows

Got any pix of Betty Buckley from her SFOT days? Now THAT would be something.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Black Tag

Default Hi Alan

MY NAME IS GARY..CAST MEMBER OF 1966 CAMPUS REVUE...SURE WISH I HAD PICTURES OF BETTY..I BELIEVE SHE WAS THE CAST OF 1964..or 1965..I SAW THEM ALL...STILL IN CONTACT WITH TWO MEMBERS FROM SHOW OF 1965....WILL ASK IF THEY HAVE PICTURES....NICE TO KNOW OTHER PEOPLE STILL REMEMBER THOSE WONDERFUL...INNOCENT ...FUN TIMES...THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES..DROP A NOTE WHEN YOU CAN....GARY
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
General Manager

Here's a link to the earliest photo I could find of Betty Buckley.

http://www.geocities.com/cleusk70/bb1.jpg

Last edited by cleusk; March 3rd, 2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM
General Manager

The Campus Revue found its inspiration from a series of highly successful concerts performed by college students at Hotel Adolphus in 1958. Angus Wynne selected Charles R. Meeker, Jr. to produce and direct the variety show in the form of a Broadway musical. Charles Meeker possessed plenty of experience working for the Dallas State Fair Park Musicals and served as a general manager at Cary Plaza. To assist him, David T. Blackburn entered the spotlight. Blackburn began his career working for five years as the manager of the Municipal Auditorium and Coliseum in Lubbock. From 1951 to 1955, he was the assistant manager of the Dallas State Fair Park Musicals. He then became director of public relations and advertising for the Great Southwest Corporation and Six Flags Over Texas. The park's director of entertainment Stanley McIlvaine also lent a helping hand.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:48 AM
General Manager

Link is dead. Uploading photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb1.jpg (14.7 KB, 7 views)