Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:27 AM
Red Tag

Default SF&T Herald Designs?

All right folks, I've been working on some little projects for the railroad before we open up in March, one of which was trying to come up with a railroad herald, or logo, just to use on souvenir tickets for special days, letterhead for paperwork, logos on lanterns, ect. It won't be on anything directly related to Six Flags, but just extra stuff for the crew.

Anyways, here are a couple of different designs. They are all basically the same, with a few differences w/the stars. It's based on the Texas and Pacific herald, because I figured our railroad has a lot of T&P heritage. The stars are for the six flags, but I don't know if I like them or not, right now I really like the one with just 2 white stars. I would like to get a more authentic railroad font for the letters in the middle, but I'll have to purchase one, there aren't many good ones for free, so the font that's there is more or less a placeholder (but still looks pretty good).

Alright, let me know what you think.

- Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heraldsf&t1.jpg (172.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg heraldsf2.jpg (167.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg heraldsf3.jpg (156.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg heraldsf4.jpg (163.8 KB, 3 views)
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: SF&T Herald Designs?

Oh, yeah! Those all look great. I really like the idea behind the six star one with the flag colors in the stars but practically speaking it's probably more expensive to reproduce plus a little busy. I like the six white stars.

As far as fonts, not sure where you'd find either one of these or if they would look good on the herald. The one you're using looks pretty good, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg plate.jpeg (6.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg bumper sticker.jpeg (7.6 KB, 4 views)
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Gold Tag

Sounds like a good idea. It would be nice to have a drumhead-like sign again to hide the gas tank on the end of the train...

The ngdiscussion recently had much chatter about the T&P herald, fonts, and color- on and on. (The old TP paperwork often shows the herald drawn as if it were cut like a diamond.)
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
General Manager

i like the one with the six white stars...
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Gold Tag

I like the six stars for each Texas flag. You might try red, white, and blue too.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Red Tag

Here are a few more permutations. I changed the middle font to an actual railroad font (similar to the T&P tender font, but a little slimmer) and I'm thinking about adding some arrows. I figured the Native American reference is valid (although they never had a "flag," I think including a reference to them makes the history complete) plus, adding the arrows increases the number of outside points to 6, which is cool. One of the current crew suggested making the overall shape 6 sided, but I couldn't figure out how to do it without making it asymmetrical, or looking like a flat 6 sided star, plus I like keeping it in the Texas & Pacific shape.

I included a couple examples with red, white, and blue stars, but I think I'm still leaning towards all white stars (numbers 4 and 5 are my favorite at the moment).

I'm on the fence about the arrows. I like it equally with or without them at the moment, but I might go for the cleaner look without them.

- Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg number1.jpg (183.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg number2.jpg (181.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg number3.jpg (179.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg number4.jpg (183.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg number5.jpg (169.5 KB, 4 views)
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Gold Tag

I suppose its your choice.

We had a member of the crew want to do hats, but did not due to cost or some problem. Maybe he was too busy. I was visiting Atlanta Underground shopping mall about that time and had a guy stitch "Six Flags STEAM" into a baseball cap. The steam crew saw at the Georgia park thought it was fun and tried to get me a cab ride.
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Gold Tag

Pretty cool design......I do like the tribute to the T&P.....long gone but not forgotten!!

I had a design for hats many years ago.......actually sent it off to an embroidery company and had stitch outs made.......cannot remember exact reason why we did not order but I was thinking it was cost.......in order to get a decent break in the price we had to order at least 100 of each design.......considering that there were roughly a dozen of us......that was going to be a lot of extra hats.