Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Cab Rides? Station Attendents?

Yes! Air pump! I still have nightmares about that. F***ing Steel.

I think when I was an engineer, we would come in at the latest 1.5 hours early, 2 was preferable. That gave us time to walk the track, restart the fire in the box, fill the oil cans and sand bucket, inspect the brakes on the coaches, the electronics in the cab, and polish the brass and boiler jacket, clean the drivers, and do the cursory fueling (if necessary) watering, blowdown, sandout, etc. As Vance pointed out, the Conductor crew was responsible for cleaning the coaches and all the depot duties prior to opening.

We really didn't see polishing and cleaning the engine as an option, it was just part of what we did every day. It wasn't mandatory, but it was a point of pride. Engineers were not your average employee - they were hand-picked and we all took pride in our position and in our job. We took great pride in the engines themselves and wanted them to look good. The steam engine was (still is, I imagine) one of the more photographed and videoed attractions in the park and we always wanted people to have a good looking subject for their pictures.

When I was a supervisor, a supe had to be present any time a ride unit was added or removed when a switch in a track was involved (Chaps, Flume were exempted) because of an accident (I believe with the Mine Train, but possibly earlier... maybe Big Bend?) where after a train was added or removed, a loaded train was dispatched without the proper section of track being put back into place. And then we all know about the famous incident where the engine was run through the roundhouse doors because of a combination of errors... so then a supervisor always went to supervise the addition and removal of ride units.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
When I was a supervisor, a supe had to be present any time a ride unit was added or removed ....

Why do I envision Cool Hand Luke for this ?

TAKIN' IT OFF HERE, BOSS. YEAH, TAKE IT OFF, DRAGLINE. WIPIN' IT OFF HERE, BOSS. O.K., KOKO. WIPE IT OFF. DRINKIN' IT UP HERE, BOSS! ALL RIGHT. DRINK IT UP, GAMBLER.

yes...trying to hijack a train thread!

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
yes...trying to hijack a train thread!
What we have here ... is a failure to communicate.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
What we have here ... is a failure to communicate.
I am quite suddenly hungry for some hard-boiled eggs.

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old April 14th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Gold Tag

I do recall on parents day we allowed some cab rides.....if I recall correctly my dad actually took video when he rode with me......I will have to check with him and see!