Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old December 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Red Tag

Default Grapevine Train

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12...ercifield.html
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Grapevine Train

Ok question for you rail heads, in the article there is a photo and the caption reads "Michael Percifield saved Engine 2248 from the wrath of the Mayfest hailstorm in 1995, outracing the hail back to the safety of the station."

My question is, I know what hail can do to a car and what massive damage to an airplane but how much damage can hail do to a rock-solid iron behemoth?
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM

I was wondering that myself.

www.davismccownlaw.com
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
General Manager

maybe they were worried about the cars? or the safety of the crew...
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Gold Tag

Crew and passengers. Heavy rain can cause track and bridge problems.

The cylinder head and casting both failed. The casting is not an easy fix.
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Gold Tag

My apologies for the tardy response to this thread......been busy working and doing other things.....finally having time to get back on here and get caught up on what I have missed. Very interesting article......Michael Percifield is now the trainmaster for The Grapevine Vintage Railroad.....very interesting!!!!!

As far as hail damage to the 2248, for the most part it is pretty much indestructible but it does have potential weak points, areas that could possibly cripple the engine if hit. You have steam lines feeding the air pump and safety valves atop the steam dome, chances are slim but a direct hit from a large hail stone could possibly crack or break one of those lines or valves. While the results would not be catastrophic they would be crippling to the locomotive, loss of the air pump means no brakes and a broken safety valve would eventually take it's toll as well.......it might be a little tougher to keep the boiler at the operating pressure and it would possibly use water much faster.....in that case it would be a race to get back to the depot before you run out of water.....if not it would be dead in the water and have to be towed back to the shop for repairs!
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Gold Tag

Good to se ya back. 2248 was still in the shop last time I drove through town. Another FWWR guy, Earl Knoob, is now down at Texas State. They just finished 400 / aka 7 .

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,263143
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGWallace View Post
Good to se ya back. 2248 was still in the shop last time I drove through town. Another FWWR guy, Earl Knoob, is now down at Texas State. They just finished 400 / aka 7 .

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,263143
It does not surprise me that the 2248 is in the shop and more than likely it will be spending a lot of time there.....things have not changed much.....in my opinion they have probably gotten worst........they simply are not willing to spend the money to run a first class steam operation......simple fact is they do not have the facilities to manufacture or repair things in house.....it is all outsourced......and as you know parts for steam engines are very unique and one of a kind jobs for most machine shops.....and cost a small fortune.

Earl Knoob.....have not heard that name in awhile......wondered where he wound up......he will be a good fit there.......he is a good steam man!!
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Grapevine train - working on steam at Texas State RR

Earl Knoob and his crew are in the process of overhauling all four steam locomotives.

And, they are using real paint schemes (black, olive green) instead of bright colors.

No 7 needed much firebox work. Some side sheets and the door were replaced. This includes drilling, tapping, and hammering all needed stay bolts. The attached photo is from the texas state facebook page -why not use it for public relations stuff- showing a shop made jig used to bend heated flat boiler steel into an oval shape. It is later welded (special welding) between the inner and outer backhead sheets making a firedoor.

It is exacting and heavy work.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...size=960%2C720

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9513952&type=3

Will SFOT do the same in time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (160.8 KB, 5 views)