Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old August 21st, 2014, 05:09 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: What are those red barrels for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
They are indeed for decoration, all three are empty. As far as embers go, there are certainly less when firing with diesel, but I have seen (and felt on my forearms!) many when the conditions are right, especially on sandouts right before the sand is put through. I'm guessing they are mostly just tiny chunks of superheated carbon that flake off in the intense draft, and most seem very short lived so they wouldn't pose much of a fire hazard, certainly less than a coal fired engine!

- Chaz
Not going to be any embers on an oil burner, what would appear to be embers is actually indeed built up carbon coming free! If you ride the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge you will experience embers, on a coal burner they are the small pieces of coal that get lifted off the grates by the draft, most do the engines have a cinder catcher on the stack that by design should deposit them safely on the ballast.....key word 'should'.....but many got through touching off multiple fires along the right of way! Train crews used to wear heavy duty half sleeves to avoid getting burnt by ones landing on their arms!
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:00 AM
General Manager

We actually use those barrels to tell us where to do our blow-downs. The first one just past Johnson Creek is where we have to wait to do that blow-down so we don't dump scalding water on folks walking under us in the Giant queue line. The other ones are really just for show.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
Platinum Tag !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotechnic thunder View Post
Not going to be any embers on an oil burner, what would appear to be embers is actually indeed built up carbon coming free! If you ride the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge you will experience embers, on a coal burner they are the small pieces of coal that get lifted off the grates by the draft, most do the engines have a cinder catcher on the stack that by design should deposit them safely on the ballast.....key word 'should'.....but many got through touching off multiple fires along the right of way! Train crews used to wear heavy duty half sleeves to avoid getting burnt by ones landing on their arms!
Hey Bob! Always good to get an occasional post from the guy I consider the master of the engine from my era at the park.