Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Red Tag

Default Gen. Sam Paint Scheme

I was wondering if anyone knows why the builders plate/smokebox door plate on the green engine seems to have been painted and stripped and re-painted over the years.

It seems like the scheme goes from black in the middle when the park opened (I think, it's hard to tell in this pic), to unpainted brass when they closed in the cab, then black middle with red around the edge (when they changed direction of travel), then back to unpainted brass most recently.

Personally I like the red and black paint scheme, it makes the oversized thing look a little more proportional.

Thoughts?

edit: (all photo credits to whoever took them, Thanks!)

- Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOT TRAIN-CL.jpg (17.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg gensamsmall.jpg (73.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg samhoustonsmall.jpg (84.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg sam1.jpg (68.3 KB, 22 views)
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Gen. Sam Paint Scheme and builder's plate

There are several bright Hollywood paint scheme variations the first several years, but the guys maintaining the locomotives in the 60s settled on what you see in the 65 photo. The tan color is not common and got dirty.

The nice red/black paint job on the builder's plate was starting to fade several years ago. There are always places that need touch ups too.

I don't think Dickson did anything special to their builder's plates. In builder's photos, they look to be treated with the same "paint" as the smoke box.

That is a good photo by Dr. Condren. Notice they are flying red flags at the end of the train, and a brakeman is on board, etc.
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.
Default Re: Gen. Sam Paint Scheme

I like the black boiler jacket better than the green.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Red Tag

I think the black suits it better too. They've been painted red and green for so long though, I'm sure there would be mass hysteria if they were returned to prototypical style liveries. It seems like Knotts Berry Farm has had a big success returning their equipment to authentic style though, maybe it's time for a change.

Personally, I'd like to see both the engines with blackened Russian iron jackets, brass straps, brass dome stripes, black wheels with white tyres (maybe with white stars in the middle as a nod to S.P) and graphite smokeboxes. Probably replacing Green's smokestack with something the right size would be good too. Maybe with new dark stained and varnished oak cabs while I'm at it.

I suppose when it comes to small industrial engines, there was a crazy amount of variation. It would definitely garner a little more respect from the steam preservation community to have them a little less dandy-fied.

- Chaz

Last edited by chazrobitaille; February 6th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Red Tag

Also, was that dome top whistle in the pic from '65 one from the engineer's personal collection? All the other one's I've seen on the locomotives have been step-top 4 or 5 chimes.

- Chaz

Last edited by chazrobitaille; February 7th, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Don't know about the '65 whistle... but I know that parts from other engines have been slapped on the two SFOT engines. I believe one of the whistles when I was there was from Switzerland.
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Gold Tag

There have been personal whistles used at various times. That looks like a dome-top three chime whistle in the ’65 photo. It could have also come from Patoutville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
Also, was that dome top whistle in the pic from '65 one from the engineer's personal collection? All the other one's I've seen on the locomotives have been step-top 4 or 5 chimes.

- Chaz
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Gold Tag

In my opinion, the 1960s paint scheme is reminiscent of some main line passenger schemes from the days of steam.

Dickson used a fairly plain paint scheme in the late 1890s. An example is found in their 1898 catalogue, page 48 “Madeleine.” Russia Iron boiler jackets are used on similar locomotives at this time. The "Gen. Sam" probably had drivers with stripes along the spokes with dark tires.
http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/...tThumbnails=no

Porter and Baldwin also had their own color schemes. Baldwin used “olive green and aluminum.” The two Baldwin Disneyland locomotives from Louisiana were delivered with the often found variation of “olive green and color”.
http://www.pacificng.com/ref/blw/sty...-FAIRYMEAD.png

After the builder’s paint went bad, many Louisiana sugar companies simply painted their locomotives black, and this is apparently what happened in Patoutville.

Last edited by CGWallace; February 22nd, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGWallace View Post
In my opinion, the 1960s paint scheme is reminiscent of some main line passenger schemes from the days of steam.

Dickson used a fairly plain paint scheme in the late 1890s. An example is found in their 1898 catalogue, page 48 “Madeleine.” Russia Iron boiler jackets are used on similar locomotives at this time. The "Gen. Sam" probably had drivers with stripes along the spokes with dark tires.
http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/view/...tThumbnails=no

Porter and Baldwin also had their own color schemes. Baldwin used “olive green and aluminum.” The two Baldwin Disneyland locomotives from Louisiana were delivered with the often found variation of “olive green and color”.
http://www.pacificng.com/ref/blw/sty...-FAIRYMEAD.png

After the builder’s paint went bad, many Louisiana sugar companies simply painted their locomotives black, and this is apparently what happened in Patoutville.
Awesome links, thanks for those! So what's the consensus, if Six Flags was somehow willing and had some extra funding, would a change of paint scheme be in order?

- Chaz
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gold Tag

I would not know about any new paint jobs. The most challenging thing is Russia Iron. Most individuals use paint to represent Russia Iron. The double or single pin stripes on the tank, domes, cab, cylinder jackets and drivers would take a steady hand to paint.