Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old March 10th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Red Tag

Default Water "sloshing" question

I have noticed a couple of folks mentioning "water sloshing into the firebox" in a couple of threads, I'm guessing this refers to water being pulled into the atomizer line. Are the turret manifolds on either engine not fed by a dry steam line from the steam dome? I know the locomotives are old, but I figured by the beginning of the 20th century, most builders had switched to designs that supply the accessory lines with dry steam, especially to prevent air pumps from priming. Any thoughts?

- Chaz
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Red Tag

Default Re: Water "sloshing" question

Figured this one out today, the fountain valve (turret manifold) stems right out of the top of the boiler in the cab for the accessories except for the air pump, which has it's own line from the steam dome.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Gold Tag

I have noticed early builders used the turret or the dome on old small locomotives.

The Patton had everything tap from the steam dome when it was in the cab on the old boiler. I think a priming concern is why they went from the top of the dome for the compressor on the Patton.

Photos show the compressor on the Gen Sam plumbed from the turret. They soon plumbed from the dome when the compressor was moved forward out of the cab. It did not prime with me usually, but I would keep an eye on the lubrication if the water is foaming.

Last edited by CGWallace; March 14th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Gold Tag

Most of the time it was a result of having too much water in the boiler.......which leaves little or no steam space......a far as 'dry' steam.....to truly deliver dry steam you would need to have a superheater.......which is not feasible on the engines considering their size.
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:26 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Yep... too much water in the boiler + quick start by the engineer = water sloshing into the firebox and putting out the fire. I wasn't privy enough to the innards to know the path the water took. It's very possible it went into the atomizer which would make it stop atomizing and cut it off that way.