Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Red Tag

Default Railroad S.O.P.

Does anyone have a copy of their old railroad S.O.P/Handbook/Manual? I am in the process of editing our current edition, and I was curious how much it had changed over the years.

P.S: I'm not sure if there are legal complications with this, my current edition has a pretty specific warning on the first page about not distributing/copying/displaying ect, but maybe if someone has an old one that didn't have that stipulation, I would think it would be ok.

Thanks!
Chaz
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Railroad S.O.P.

whistle signals

http://www.sfot.net/sfot-forums/showthread.php?t=221
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Gold Tag

Default Re: SF&T RR Signals

The railroad uses its own set of signals for authenticity and safety.

Does anyone remember what the forward/highball signal was in the 70s?

Originally, they were using a white flag by day and white lamp at night, raised and lowered. (I suppose they could have also used green, but they specified only white). The latest photo I have showing this is from the mid 60s.

For those that don't know, this is the accepted railroad "hand, flag, and lamp" forward signal used for years in North America and still found in the General Code. (A distinct wave can and is often substituted, and that is basically what was being used during the day last time I was out at the park).

Drawings are by James Thompson, "Assistant Trainmaster" 1962. It was great fun to speak with Jim and Lee Buckner at the Texas train station during the reunion some years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sf_and_t_signal_highball_forward.jpg (238.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sf_and_t_signal_stop.jpg (150.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg sf_and_t_signal_back_up.jpg (283.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg sf_and_t_signal_take_water.jpg (130.6 KB, 0 views)
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Railroad S.O.P.

And the whistle and lantern signals are still the same today!!.....and as far as green flags or white flags.....green flags or lights were displayed on trains that were run in multiple sections......white flags or lights were displayed on extra trains, ones that were not regularly scheduled.