Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Red Tag

Default Random Questions - Stations, Crew Photo

I saw a picture on parktimes of the Good Times Square Depot, and it is the only picture I have ever seen of it. Anyone know of any other photos? I would be curious to see a set of coaches open on both sides, I imagine it looked pretty nice! We have one coach on the green train that still hasn't been updated, and has one open side. It needs some attention now, but I bet in it's heyday it looked pretty snazzy.

Also, anyone have any idea when the telegraph attendant (We call him Calvin and he has his own nametag) was added to the Texas depot? Has he been there since the park opened? I tried to figure out what the morse code he is tapping is, but the thing is so worn out I can't really tell. It might just be gibberish. The tapping is made by an electric motor under his desk that spins a big rubber wheel with nubs on its outer edge. They hit a lever that hits his telegraph machine, and he has a rubber finger that moves with it. Pretty cool when they remember to turn it on! I try to keep his office pretty free of dust, but it creeps me out being that close to a mannequin alone...in the park after closing....I have to clean during the day haha.

Also, I found this crew photo in the Roundhouse:

SF&TRR Crew_small.jpg

I think I recognize the girl on the RH side, standing on the Red Train with the conductor vest on, I remember her working at S.F. when I used to go there as a teenager, so I'm guessing this is from some time in the 90's.

- Chaz
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Tag !

Default Re: Random Questions - Stations, Crew Photo

I recognize Bob, Stacy, and Tracy standing on the front of the Cochran (or Sam or whatever it's called these days). I think that's Cameron in the full conductor gear with the signal lamp. And of course I recognize Kirk sitting on the front of CJP. I would guess it's from '99 or '00.
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
I saw a picture on parktimes of the Good Times Square Depot, and it is the only picture I have ever seen of it. Anyone know of any other photos? I would be curious to see a set of coaches open on both sides, I imagine it looked pretty nice! We have one coach on the green train that still hasn't been updated, and has one open side. It needs some attention now, but I bet in it's heyday it looked pretty snazzy.

Also, anyone have any idea when the telegraph attendant (We call him Calvin and he has his own nametag) was added to the Texas depot? Has he been there since the park opened? I tried to figure out what the morse code he is tapping is, but the thing is so worn out I can't really tell. It might just be gibberish. The tapping is made by an electric motor under his desk that spins a big rubber wheel with nubs on its outer edge. They hit a lever that hits his telegraph machine, and he has a rubber finger that moves with it. Pretty cool when they remember to turn it on! I try to keep his office pretty free of dust, but it creeps me out being that close to a mannequin alone...in the park after closing....I have to clean during the day haha.

Also, I found this crew photo in the Roundhouse:

Attachment 4142

I think I recognize the girl on the RH side, standing on the Red Train with the conductor vest on, I remember her working at S.F. when I used to go there as a teenager, so I'm guessing this is from some time in the 90's.

- Chaz
Funny thing about that photo it reminded me of a time when I just stopped and admired the steam engine.

I was coming off my shift from HIP, it was pretty cool out that night. I did my normal red tag stuff and was walking down the employee walkway past the roundhouse. I could hear the huff and puff of the resting engine and rounded the large reeds obscuring my view up to that point. And I saw the engine sitting there just inside the roundhouse, with it's headlight on and beaming. The engine was just resting there bathed in a brilliant white steam. The steam had been highlighted because of the interior flourescent lights of the roundhouse. I had to do a double take and it made me stop right there and I just watched for awhile, eventhough it was more like thirty seconds or so. It just looked alive for some reason, and it just oozed to me, power. Not long after one of the engine personnel came around and was fiddling with something on the ground in front of the engine and then they stood up looked at the engine and put their arms on their hips, et.la Superman, only for a brief few seconds. I remember thinking then, that I wished I had a camera, what a rare and unique photo if there was one. I've also kind of had it on my bucketlist of sixflags photos that I want to attempt to get or recreate someday. I've even thought if I ever dabble with oil painting, I might paint that very scene.

Do any of you all have any recollections of moments in the park that just kind of briefly took your breath away? At any rate I thought you all would enjoy that little railroad mental picture. Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I believe we also have Jason Garrett in that photo. The pretty lady in overalls standing on the Patton is Rebecca Coombs (now Hatfield,) and her would-be husband might be one of the conductors in that photo.

The guy sitting down, facing right but his face turned left in front of Kirk, I believe is named Jed.

I believe the girl in conductor uni on the far right is named Amanda, but I don't recall her last name. I could be wrong about that.

Is that Ed Hobbs on the far right? I don't think I remember him being employe at the park that late.

I don't know who the smirking female in the front is... it sort of looks like Michelle Murray, who was the supervisor over the train in 96 I believe.

This must have been taken in 96 or 97. I helped train all the female engineers in that photo in 95 and 96.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM
General Manager

it was taken in 97 because it was the year before I became red tag there in 98 and inherited the crew (well most)

as said before that's Bob, Stacy and Tracy Henton, and Cameron on the left, conductors in the middle are Chris, Chris Van Haren, Ed, Jason and his (now wife) Kristen (i think), on the right is Becca, Melanie, Kirk, Leonard, Dan and Jed

Leonard, Dan, and the Henton's are the main ones that trained me on the engine (though I give credit to Zeke and Brent for truly showing me how to fire and run)....I can't think of Dan's last name but his maybe Stoop or Bryan can help...his daughter was doing training with Tom Haggerd in 97 when I hired in...she had red bushy hair... (EDIT: For some reason the last name Vaughn popped in my head...was it Brandy Vaughn?)

I only got to run with Bob and Becca at the end of 97 a few times as he was beginning his career with the big railroads and spent little time at the park in 98 and she didn't come back in 98 (or not for long if she did)...it was a great conductors crew even though Jed didn't stay long in 98 either before moving to another ride or job...there was a lot of resentment towards me at the beginning of 98 because I had gotten the red tag when it was assumed someone from the crew that was already there was going to be getting it when Jason moved to TX Park services as the red tag
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:43 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

I never met Leonard or Dan, I don't think. There were a few times when engine crew wahs short and Mike Apple asked if he could borrow me from my new job in security to help them run breaks. It's possible I ran/fired with one of them, but I don't remember.
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Red Tag

Found a photo of the Goodtimes Square Depot through flickr, thanks to the user who uploaded it. It's amazing how lush and clean everything looks! I think the current Boomtown depot could use some tlc, it's looking pretty rough compared to this.

- Chaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goodtimesquare.jpg (321.8 KB, 21 views)
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
General Manager

I was pretty disappointed when they cut down all those trees for the Boomtown Depot. They kind of gave the GT Depot a sense of solitude that the Boomtown Depot didn't have.
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Red Tag

Yeah I never got to see it in person, but from the pictures, it looks very nice. Also, I know GT Depot was farther down the line, but was it before or after the grade crossing at Boomtown? This map from 1991 http://www.sfot.net/sfot_pics/maps/SFoT-1991.jpg shows it after and this map from 1983 http://www.sfot.net/sfot_pics/maps/1983Map.jpg shows it before. I know map illustrators take liberties, but I was just curious which one was correct.

- Chaz
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazrobitaille View Post
Yeah I never got to see it in person, but from the pictures, it looks very nice. Also, I know GT Depot was farther down the line, but was it before or after the grade crossing at Boomtown? This map from 1991 http://www.sfot.net/sfot_pics/maps/SFoT-1991.jpg shows it after and this map from 1983 http://www.sfot.net/sfot_pics/maps/1983Map.jpg shows it before. I know map illustrators take liberties, but I was just curious which one was correct.

- Chaz
I'd say that both maps are correct as to the location of the station. It is the paths that have changed. The 1983 map is correct for that time. Originally, there were paths from GTS to Boomtown both North and South of the GTS Station. The north path was an overpass for the train and the pathway went under it.

It looks like they closed the south path in 1989. I'm not sure why, there wasn't any other construction in the area. It may have been a safety issue. I believe that is also right when they changed the direction of travel of the trains, so the may have wanted a place for the engine to sit that wasn't on a pathway. You can see a lady on the map next to the cliffhanger. On the earlier maps, such is walking across the pathway.

Eventually the underpass to the north was removed when they built the Mr Freeze, and they restored the walkway to the South of the new boomtown station.
www.davismccownlaw.com