Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old June 8th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Red Tag

Default What are those red barrels for ?

I've noticed those Red Barrels on the sides of the Train track, what's those for ?
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:29 AM
General Manager

Default Re: What are those red barrels for ?

they're fire barrels and they are only on the trestles...on a real old railroad they would have been filled with sand and if by chance a ember from the engine fell out out of the box or out of the smokestack and started a fire the conductor could jump off the back and use sand from the barrel to put out the fire before it got out of control and burned the whole thing down...the ones at SOFT are just decoration as far as I know because I've never know them to have actual sand in them and there is less chance of embers since the fire is fueled by diesel opposed to fire/coal
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanceCope View Post
they're fire barrels and they are only on the trestles...on a real old railroad they would have been filled with sand and if by chance a ember from the engine fell out out of the box or out of the smokestack and started a fire the conductor could jump off the back and use sand from the barrel to put out the fire before it got out of control and burned the whole thing down...the ones at SOFT are just decoration as far as I know because I've never know them to have actual sand in them and there is less chance of embers since the fire is fueled by diesel opposed to fire/coal
Back when themeing mattered.
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:50 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Could be an FRA regulation, maybe?
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Could be an FRA regulation, maybe?
true...hand't thought of that

I'm sure Cameron will give a real answer the next he's on here
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Interesting side story: Several years ago, when I rode the Durango-Silverton train up to Needleton for a backpacking trip, the last day as we were waiting for the southbound train to pick us up and take us back to Durango, the second train of the day coming back from Silverton didn't pick up backpackers, so we just watched it go by, and a few minutes later, a little flatbed car came trucking down behind it - presumably to put out any fires that the train had started on the way down or to locate and repair any damage or debris that befell the tracks.
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Gold Tag

Vance has it right!......they are fire barrels......but they are a thing of the past......railroads are replacing all wooden bridges and trestles with concrete bridges.....much easier to maintain!
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Black Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Interesting side story: Several years ago, when I rode the Durango-Silverton train up to Needleton for a backpacking trip, the last day as we were waiting for the southbound train to pick us up and take us back to Durango, the second train of the day coming back from Silverton didn't pick up backpackers, so we just watched it go by, and a few minutes later, a little flatbed car came trucking down behind it - presumably to put out any fires that the train had started on the way down or to locate and repair any damage or debris that befell the tracks.
On the Cumbres & Toltec a few years ago.

Old August 20th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Red Tag

They are indeed for decoration, all three are empty. As far as embers go, there are certainly less when firing with diesel, but I have seen (and felt on my forearms!) many when the conditions are right, especially on sandouts right before the sand is put through. I'm guessing they are mostly just tiny chunks of superheated carbon that flake off in the intense draft, and most seem very short lived so they wouldn't pose much of a fire hazard, certainly less than a coal fired engine!

- Chaz
Old August 21st, 2014, 04:59 PM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHann View Post
On the Cumbres & Toltec a few years ago.

Wow......that is a small water tank.......I would think a very lightweight switcher and a tank car would be better.......kinda like the old fire trains they ran on the old SP!