Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Main SFOT Categories > Steam Fans

Steam Fans If you love the SFOT Railroad...this is the spot for you. Hot off the tracks discussion, funny stories that seem to go nowhere...(just like the train) and witty engineer antics. ;)

Old May 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Red Tag

Default Re: Railroad Spiel - Calling All Conductors!

I agree with you on the over dependence on technology issue Alan. I think "addiction" to technology would also be an accurate description. I see it every day in the park, people glued to their phones not looking at the world around them (or noticing that they are standing in the middle of a railroad crossing with lights flashing and bells ringing haha!)

I know the best thing for the train would be to remove the spiel box entirely, but I doubt management would go for that. Does anyone know how long we've had that thing anyways? I vaguely remember hearing recorded spiels when I went to the park in the early 2000s, but beyond that I'm not sure. At any rate, I can assure the new spiel will be performed live by me, but beyond that, lets just say it'll be a work in progress.

- Chaz
Old May 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
General Manager

Whenever I went on the train in my youth, I never paid attention to the spiel. So I have no problem with recorded ones being used.
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Gold Tag

The spiel box appeared in the fall of '99 with a new park operator. Until that time, it was a separate crew like the park rides. The Station Master and Conductor positions would rotate each time the train arrived.

I believe they used something similar to Davis' 1974 version with changes.

I'm glad they gave you the option to live spiel because it can make the job more interesting. Live spiels are handy because they are flexible for the situation.

I avoided talking the entire time. I also had a repertoire so the spiel could be changed slightly to keep it interesting.

You will find everyone does the spiel a little differently. I did attempt to adapt some of the old stuff to present day in the 90s.

To answer the original post, I was told by some of the folks who were there that members of the first crew put up the station signs to go with the spiel ( or "story") they developed. Some signs apparently did not last very long, while others lasted for years. Some looked new and others were made to look old with weathered wood planks. There are a few fuzzy photos of them now recently surfacing on the net.

The early RR crews used the park's "stage show" theme approach (like Disneyland). One needed to use their imagination a little. This is the same technique used with the River and (later) Casa Magnetica spiels. I don't think anyone required a bunch of acting, but sentence structure and phrases are different when compared with a ride stats spiel.

Cameron Wallace
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:19 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
On a double at the river, I went around 2-3 times and then they handed me the mic. GULP! I got good by the end of the night. A box is not better than a new person spieling as there is ZERO interaction. Believe me, I'm taking an online Enterprise Architecture course and the computer-voiced female voice is just reading me the slides...it's enough to make me want to blow my brains out.

Anyway...I would argue that your new folks should also be allowed to go around a few times as well and then spiel for themselves. That's how you learn. I'm sure that's how you learned. My guess is that by completely relying on technology, we're only going to get ourselves in trouble with some sort of giant creatures and then who are we going to call... Godzilla?
Same here for the railroad - I got sent over one night shift from my permanent ride and between fuel, blowout, training, taking the test and one round trip for spiel training, I had two trips to learn the spiel (or at least to familiarize myself enough with it to fake it) before the sun went down and I couldn't read it anymore. What I couldn't remember, I made up. The bonus was that didn't sound like I was reading. It sounded more conversational and I got lots of compliments on my clarity and delivery early on. People would rather listen to someone who sounds like they are talking to them than a robotic reading of a script - whether that reading is recorded or live.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
What I couldn't remember, I made up. The bonus was that didn't sound like I was reading. It sounded more conversational and I got lots of compliments on my clarity and delivery early on. People would rather listen to someone who sounds like they are talking to them than a robotic reading of a script - whether that reading is recorded or live.
Yeah...interactive like..."Mam...you need to sit down.... oh...sorry sir. "

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
Gold Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfotadmin View Post
Yeah...interactive like..."Mam...you need to sit down.... oh...sorry sir. "
"Git yer leg back in there, the train's still movin! Hold it... hold it... hooooold it.... (Train finally stops.) GIT OFF!"
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:22 AM
Platinum Tag !

Are they really going to let you change the recorded spiel? In my past experience management wouldn't approve anything that would make reference to past attractions or anything except what they have now. Of course I always added in my own facts and spieled live when possible.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM
General Manager

The spiel is now manual and some limited recordings.
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloak View Post
The spiel is now manual and some limited recordings.
It all just depends on who is conducting. Myself, and four of the other crew members pretty much exclusively use the mic and endless wit to spiel, but there are about 5 other team members who just use the box. Sometimes those of us who live spiel will play the rules on the box if we have to clean something (multitasking!) Slowly but surely, we are getting back to more people spieling live.

- Chaz
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:09 AM
General Manager

Chaz, this is Travis. I work at Giant. We sometimes have a train "crew member" that helps us run breaks. Is it you?
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!