Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default Ride Operations entries from old sfot site...group 9

Jeffery Crawford

Seasons worked: 1995

Email: Jeffery Crawford

Areas of Park: Newman's & c

Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 14:19:10 (CDT)

Emily Campbell

Seasons worked: 1993-1994

Funny Story or happening:

Working at SFOT was one of the most memorable times of my life. I really enjoyed working there. My sister, Heather Campbell and I worked on the Texas Giant from January '93 to September '93, then we both worked on the Log Flume in 1994, for a few months. There were so many things that happened. We were the only sisters that were working on the same ride together, so we got teased alot. What I remember:

-Alot of fun parties
-Eating out at Panchos, alot
-I was always the one that was chose to test ride the Giant in the rain, with Mike Kubelka
-My sister and I going to lunch with Mike K one time. We came across this big snake and he just left us there!!
-Someone carving my name up on the Safety Brake...I still never knew who did it!!
-Getting written up by Gary for stupid stuff!!!
-Having to clean the trains on rainy days, when the park was dead.
-Wearing those ugly outfits!!!

Right now, I'm still finishing up my Marketing degree at the University of North Texas. I'm currently an Assistant Buyer for RadioShack Corporation, in Downtown Fort Worth. I'm getting married this December

I think I've seen Mike, Lisa and Chris around a few places, but I don't think they recognized me. I'd love to hear from anyone that remembers me or anything about the Giant Crew of '93. We had the best crew ever!! There are a few people that I will never forget!!! I dated a few people from other parts of the park. I definitley miss everyone and hope to get in touch with them some day....

Email: Emily Campbell

Areas of Park: Giant, Cave, Chaparel Cars, Flume

People to find: Michael Kubelka, Troy Langston, Lisa (last name?), Stuart Whittaker, Andrew White, Chris (last name, I want to say Draper?)and anyone else who worked with the '93 Giant Crew!!

Friday, September 28, 2001 at 09:32:37 (CDT)

Emily Campbell

Seasons worked: 1993-1994

Working at SFOT was one of the most memorable times of my life. I really enjoyed working there. My sister, Heather Campbell and I worked on the Texas Giant from January '93 to September '93, then we both worked on the Log Flume in 1994, for a few months. There were so many things that happened. We were the only sisters that were working on the same ride together, so we got teased alot. What I remember:

-Alot of fun parties
-Eating out at Panchos, alot
-I was always the one that was chose to test ride the Giant in the rain, with Mike Kubelka
-My sister and I going to lunch with Mike K one time. We came across this big snake and he just left us there!!
-Someone carving my name up on the Safety Brake...I still never knew who did it!!
-Getting written up by Gary for stupid stuff!!!
-Having to clean the trains on rainy days, when the park was dead.
-Wearing those ugly outfits!!!

Right now, I'm still finishing up my Marketing degree at the University of North Texas. I'm currently an Assistant Buyer for RadioShack Corporation, in Downtown Fort Worth. I'm getting married this December

I think I've seen Mike, Lisa and Chris around a few places, but I don't think they recognized me. I'd love to hear from anyone that remembers me or anything about the Giant Crew of '93. We had the best crew ever!! There are a few people that I will never forget!!! I dated a few people from other parts of the park. I definitley miss everyone and hope to get in touch with them some day....

Email: Emily Campbell

Areas of Park: Giant, Cave, Chaparel Cars, Flume

People to find: Michael Kubelka, Troy Langston, Lisa (last name?), Stuart Whittaker, Andrew White, Chris (last name, I want to say Draper?)and anyone else who worked with the '93 Giant Crew!!

Friday, September 28, 2001 at 09:31:25 (CDT)

Jennifer duToit

Went by: Hanna

Seasons worked: 1989-1992

Email: Jennifer duToit

Saturday, September 22, 2001 at 19:49:04 (CDT)

Jeanne Hamilton

Went by: Jeanne Smith

Seasons worked: 1972-1973

I had the hots for a guy that worked at the ice plant (which is not in use anymore. I ended up marrying him about 6 years later!

Email: Jeanne Hamilton

Areas of Park: Toll booth in the parking lot--$.50 to park!

People to find: Barbara Webb

Wednesday, September 12, 2001 at 16:15:52 (CDT)

John Flynn

Seasons worked: 1981-1983

My most memorable moments were setting off the cannons, the Indian that so often had it's hand altered so it would give the boats the "finger", the bear that always looked like it was humping the tree and then the real tree that feel into the water because of the real beaver.

My most comical moment, however, came from working the Texas Chute Out. After tactfully explaining to this large couple the weight requirements (they should ride separately). They insisted on riding together. I applied the magnet to the side of the control panel pushed the green button and.......Walla....the red light came on immediately. I did my best not to laugh in their face.

Then there was the time I was dispatching on flume and was dying of thirst. I was just drinking some water (of coarse we all know this was a big no no) when John Schultz and Bill Wofford came up across from dispatch. They said the wanted to see me immediately in the rides office. I got someone to cover for me and went with them. Went into John's office and they closed the door behind me. After they had led me to believe I was in serious trouble, the gave me the day foreman position at the Spiniker.

Email: John Flynn

Areas of Park: all

Wednesday, September 12, 2001 at 12:40:36 (CDT)

John Flynn

Seasons worked: 1981-1983

While working the River Boat, those loading got everyone in the boat to act like they were asleep for the entire ride. You had to be there.

Email: John Flynn

Areas of Park: All sections; worked a lots extra shifts and almost all the rides.

People to find: River boat crew from 81

Tuesday, September 11, 2001 at 12:48:19 (CDT)

Gary Ferraris

Seasons worked: 1974-1980

Too many too mention.

Email: Gary Ferraris

Areas of Park: Food Service (1974-1976), Ride Operations (1977-1980)

Other info: Now living in Washington state, married, working for Starbucks.

Tuesday, August 28, 2001 at 02:50:44 (CDT)

Steve Hays

Seasons worked: 1973-74

I worked at the Big Bend when it first opened and tranfered to Modern Lift. I would love to find my old supervisor named Mike ( no last name that I can recall ). One of my fondest memories was one day working on courtesy corps. and I saw a group of people standing around a teenage boy who was sitting on a park bench. When I went to investigate the young man had broken his wooden leg. I remember offering to help him but not knowing wether to contact Maintenance or the first aid center. I remember a skinny co-worker who at Modern lift did a impersonation of John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. We would compete with each other greeting the guest and doing these impersonations. I remember laughing so hard I could hardly stand. I remember calling Texas Lift and telling the guys to notice the chick in a certain car number and we would often greet the pretty girls in songs like, " Delta Dawn what's that flower you have own, could it be a fadded Rose from days gone by....etc." I am a teacher at Everman High School now and have been teaching for 13 years. I have a band called, Peace Wind, and a sound studio which will open soon. I have great memories of my years in rides operation. I used to work doubles and worked nearly every ride in the park, I loved double on the River Ride. I can still do the Spiel and have found memories as a substitue River Rat. Does anyone remember the John Wayne impersonater who filmed the commercial at the Southern Palace with hundreds of park employees? One of his lines was, "This year we are going to give em so much fun, its going to curl their toes and straghten their teeth." Their was a crowd of employees in front of the Palace and when he said this he started walking through the crowd and we all went in all directions. I was in the commercial.
Steve Hays Shays@eisd.org

Email: Steve Hays

Areas of Park: Modern Lift Modern section

People to find: Mike and the impersonator of John Wayne

Tuesday, August 14, 2001 at 14:35:50 (CDT)

Jay Littlejohn

Went by: Jay Littlejohn

Seasons worked: 1985-1993

Email: Jay Littlejohn

Areas of Park: Boomtown/Run a way Mine Train. Front Gate, Foods/Ice House,Post mix. Electric Dept.

Monday, August 13, 2001 at 11:51:56 (CDT)

Russell Richardson

Seasons worked: 1961

Areas of Park: River boat ride

Other info: RichardsonR777@aol.com

Sunday, August 12, 2001 at 02:40:37 (CDT)

Jim Roberts

Seasons worked: 1968-1972

Email: Jim Roberts

Areas of Park: Texas (Texas Lift)

Friday, August 10, 2001 at 12:54:53 (CDT)

Jim Roberts

Seasons worked: 1968-1972

Email: Jim Roberts

Areas of Park: Texas (Texas Lift)

Friday, August 10, 2001 at 12:54:21 (CDT)

John Short

Seasons worked: 1970-1973

The land of 1000 stories.....but I'll only tell two that happened to me within about a month and a half during the summer of '73.....I had been the night foreman on the Spindletop during the summer of '72....but because the school I went to (Michigan State) didnt get out till the middle of June, I came back as a black tag the next summer on night shift on the Mine Train.....the foreman, we'll just use his first name Craig, and I didnt get along too well for some reason and one evening he sent me to lift one as it started to rain....I was wearing two raincoats as it was raining to beat the band....one of those June thunderstorms.....you know the ones....they had not dispatched a train for at least 30 minutes because it was raining so hard....all of a sudden I saw a flash above me and heard a crackling sound just as someone hit me in the top of the head with a sledgehammer...or so I thought.....knocked me right off the stool I was huddled on and onto the platform next to the tracks....the next thing I remember was waking up to rain pelting my face....I rolled over to get up but unfortunately rolled towards the tracks and almost went right off to a 40 foot drop....rolled the other way and stood up holding onto the rope rail holding the top of my head cause it hurt like hell....there was a phone there in those days that when you picked it up it rang down in the station....I mumbled something and the next thing you know here comes the foreman and his asst running up the catwalk towards me as I swayed around holding my head....they somehow got me back down to the station about the time the Six Flags first aid Cushman ambulance arrived at the station....as they were strapping me into the strecher all of my muscles started to fire all at the same time and I looked like I was having a kaniption fit....the sup Austin Jeter came running up and hopped on....in the bed at first aid I was making it hop around too with all my shaking...just then the doors are throw open and there is the real ambulance wisking me and Jeet off to Arlington Memorial....once there it was like a scene from the movies....nurses and doctors are running along side the strecher shouting instructions and looking for burns where the lightning came out while yanking off my boots....my blood pressure was 200/100 and still shaking.....they gave me a shot of muscle relaxers and after about 15 minutes I quit shaking.....turns out that it had been a ricochet of a huge bolt that had hit the Tower then hit me being one of the next highest things around....after about an hour they sent me back to the park....as I walked into the compound a guy I knew said "What are you doing here"..???!!! I said that I still work here and he said...."I was just by the front gate and I heard you were dead"...!!!....Seems as the story moved around the park it got worse and worse until they were already planning my funeral.....Not yet baby....they now have a little house built over lift one on the Mine Train becuase of that incident.....think I ought to petition them to name it the "Short House"..??? hell....they named lift three the Ace Hotel after my buddy Ace Cocharo....makes sense to me.

The second story I'll try to be a little more brief.....during the follies that summer I had several parts where I tumbled across the stage doing backhandsprings etc....(I was a collegiate gymnast)....Live Show had just fired Biff Painter and all the Gunfighters the week before I guess.....after the follies that night...Lou Acosta came up to me and said they had just found their new stuntman for the gunfight and asked if I wanted to change departments....I asked how much....??? they said $2.10/hour.....I said where do I sign...??? after a week or so of getting shot off the top of buildings....flipping over the rail of the courthouse....falling into the fork of the tree.....everything was going quite smoothly.....this was my forth year at Flags and my parents had finally come to see me for the very first time....they had attended the 7:00 pm show and left to get a bite to eat before heading home....the last show was at 7:30 and I was the last to get shot by the shotgun and as I was just falling dead in the street my right boot slipped about an inch and I felt my lower leg break as I hit the hot blacktop.....so when I should have gotten up and gone to the porch to unload.....I just laid there....looking up into the live oak tree watching a branch move in the breeze....I could hear the thundering herd of bootsteps coming down the porch steps as the rest of the gang ran over to where i lay....I can still see all of their faces looking down at me and asking if i was okay....I looked at them and shook my head....they said..."What's the matter"..?? I looked at them and said...."I broke my leg".....about that time a lady guest said...."Lemme get a picture of this".....they promptly ran her off and back to fisrt aid in the same ole strecher I went and back to the hospital to get it cast.....I had to redshirt that year and my coaches were none too pleased to say the least....and here's the rest of the story.....the next summer I stayed out of state until August when I came home and deciced to come out to the park for a visit....as I was walking out of the backarea by Security near the icehouse headed towards the compound.....they were rolling up a strecher with a gunfighter in it with a busted leg no less....it was Kenny Burleson (would had just moved to the gunfight from ride operations) and when he looked up and saw me started shouting..."You're a JINX.....you're a JINX"....!!!!!! as he disappeared through the gate.....true stories both.....

Email: John Short

Areas of Park: Spindletop (barf machine), Mine Train, Gunfight, doubles on every ride in the park

People to find: Ace Cocharo, Austin Jeter, Connie Bean, Kenny Burleson, Bill Sloan

Monday, August 06, 2001 at 23:29:39 (CDT)

Cassandra(Sandy) Pemberton

Went by: Sandy Ingram

Seasons worked: 1981,1982

Email: Cassandra(Sandy) Pemberton

Areas of Park: Ride Attendant (all Over) Log Ride.

People to find: Frank V. (Traffic Attendant and Security)

Tuesday, July 31, 2001 at 16:29:11 (CDT)

Cindy Brock

Went by: Gray

Seasons worked: 1977-1979?

Email: Cindy Brock

Areas of Park: Tower, Dolphin Show

People to find: Anyone who worked at tower or Dolphin show ,security,or other

Tuesday, July 24, 2001 at 14:15:07 (CDT)

Stephen Barbini

Seasons worked: 88-92, 95

I don't have a funny story to write here, but I do have a lot of memories:
- Excalibur at Mine Train
- Racing trains around Mini-Mine
- Top-ten lists at Shockwave
- Walking the wet "track" at Bobsled
- Six Flags tan from Chute-Out
- Surfing Snowhill

Email: Stephen Barbini

Areas of Park: Mine Train, Mini-Mine, Chute-Out, Shockwave, & many others

People to find: Anyone who wants to drop a line.

Other info: Married for three years; expecting first child this fall. Currently an engineer with Bell Helicopter, TEMPORARILY located in CA.

Saturday, July 07, 2001 at 00:29:38 (CDT)

Charles Miller

Seasons worked: 1973-1974

I was the operator on the missle chaser when the motor burned up. It was replaced later that day, and when first turned on the ride ran backwards. They would not leave it that way.

Email: Charles Miller

Areas of Park: I worked on every ride except, Carosel

People to find: Mine Train Crew 1973. Missle Chaser Crew late 1973. Crazy Legs Crew 1974

Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 23:55:48 (CDT)

Bill Gorin

Went by: Bill Gorin

Seasons worked: 1985-1987

Richard Winsett was foreman at Bumper Cars and he was flirting with a girl in line telling her how he wouldn't get shocked if he touched the ceiling with the aluminum heighth check stick. Which was all fine and good except that when he touched the ceiling he had his other hand on the metal control panel! Knocked his butt on the ground and we had to go code 2. I wonder if our crews names are still written on the wall in the back room?

Does anyone remember Mary Underwood working train crossing by the GT cars and putting up the chains when the train came so that they blocked the train and allowed people to cross?

Great times working open lines at Rapids, I think we set a record for the most guests in one hour through the ride, and everyone had a ball doing it, especially the guests.

Email: Bill Gorin

Areas of Park: Rides, Spindletop, Bumper Cars, Roto Disco, Rapids, hell almost all of them!! I worked in costume characters for the first Holiday in the Park, Richard and I were some of the first float drivers.

People to find: Richard and Mary Winsett, David Dalley

Other info: Married now to another former SFOT employee, Cathy Mego and we have 2 awsome kids. Still live in the metroplex.

Monday, July 02, 2001 at 10:47:02 (CDT)

John McCorkle

Seasons worked: 78-79

Email: John McCorkle

Saturday, June 23, 2001 at 17:52:14 (CDT)

John McCorkle

Seasons worked: 73-80, 99-00

Email: John McCorkle

Saturday, June 23, 2001 at 17:49:05 (CDT)

John B. Edwards

Seasons worked: 1961-1962

My wife called me and told me to IMMEDIATELY leave work and start
walking home. She would meet me and we would go directly to
the hospital. IT'S A BOY! September 16, 1961.

Email: John B. Edwards

Areas of Park: Humble Happy Motoring, Texas, Astrolift

Monday, June 18, 2001 at 14:23:42 (CDT)

Sami Bailey

Went by: Sami Robe

Seasons worked: 1986- 1990

Okay, the reunion yesterday was really cool! Thanks to everyone that was involved in making that happen!!!
1986 I worked at Looney Land with Terri Buck as my foreman. That's when I learned about John Poskey. Where is HE? The next season I was at El Hat with Sandy Ferris, Doug james and Michelle Henton. Sandy left us for Judge (hey Sandy remember singing George Michael's I want your SEX?)and we inherited Scott Kurtz. Anyone remember Murphy? hee hee!When 1988 started I was at Cave with Kristi Unruh as foreman. Scott was foreman at Chaps and brought me over to be Asst. (making the big $3.85) Those were the days. I hurt my knee and hopped cars with my brace. We met Meredith Baxter Birney and Chip Moody that year. I don't know why I remember those two? I had a whole crew of kids from Nolen High school. Boy, were they innocent! John Darr was foreman at Spindletop. Our SUPES were Donnie Vacanti and Robin Corely (I think I was her favorite- ha!) Kelli Teal was around as SUPE too for a while. I wonder where her brother Randy Teal is? I'm still searching for Eddie Garcia. A trip to Everman might be required! I'll be okay "just turn the a/c on high and sing all the way."
Anyone that can relate to these memories should meet at Gas N Snack for a NOT sponsored by SFOT part at Lake Grapevine. As if you didn't know its BYOB!

Email: Sami Bailey

Areas of Park: 86 Looney Land, 87 El Hat, 88 Cave & Chaps, 89 Cliffhangar, 90 Looney Land

People to find: EDDIE GARCIA! Scott Kurtz (rememeber how we told his little brother Matt he looked like a Spelunker?)

Sunday, June 17, 2001 at 11:27:02 (CDT)

PAUL CARDENAS

Seasons worked: 1970-1970

DROVE THE BARGE ON TO THE ISLAND ON BACK OF SKULL ISLAND.

Email: PAUL CARDENAS

Areas of Park: SKULL ISLAND

People to find: MY SUPERVISOR WAS NAME RANDY _______ ?

Saturday, June 16, 2001 at 17:51:25 (CDT)

Zane (Golden) Adams

Seasons worked: 1981-1982

Met my future wife at stroller rental!

Email: Zane (Golden) Adams

Areas of Park: Front Gate, Mine Train

Saturday, June 16, 2001 at 15:40:02 (CDT)

Matt Jakubowicz

Seasons worked: 1992-1994

There are way too many stories to tell, but those three summers were some of the best in my life. I'll never forget going to a "social gathering" after work and the "host" called the cops on his own party...me hiding in the bathtub when the cops showed up because everyone else was outside and I was only sixteen, and Chris Draper and a few others deciding they want to vacuum at 4am. I'll never forget the season I worked at the TX Giant...the BEST crew ever. The code numbers for guests on each train was a good time too.

Email: Matt Jakubowicz

Areas of Park: Air Racer, Conquistador, Looney Land, El Hat, TX Giant, Gold River

People to find: Anyone that I worked with...

Other info: I live in eastern Pennsylvania and work at a Pharmaceutical Marketing company

Tuesday, June 12, 2001 at 10:49:04 (CDT)

Nicole Schneiweiss

Seasons worked: 1996-1999

I am not sure what to say. I have another entry but this is an updated one. I was in security to rides and park services. I would like to find people from flume 1 or 2. if u worked with me. Or anyone else in spain with me at the time. snowhill if you knew me to. That was always fun catching the people to big to fit in the sleds. Sorry no stories. Only my friends would understand

Email: Nicole Schneiweiss

Areas of Park: spain, looney toon land, confederate, security (parking lot i was TA)

People to find: anyone who knew me or worked with me!

Other info: I am attending UNT in the fall. I am a criminal justice major and will be attending school with my bf also. He is a great guy! I will let my friends know the rest.

Monday, June 11, 2001 at 18:19:41 (CDT)

Beverly Mosher

Went by: Beverly Bennett (Teddy)

Seasons worked: 1983 - 1990?

In addition to the stuff from my last entry, I can remember hating being on the tower during the "great cricket invasion" year and loving it when the US High Diving Team was doing their shows. All the after hours parties, MOST of which I remember. I only wish my kids had a place like that to work, maybe I will have to ship them south to stay with Grandma for a summer or two so they can have as much (well maybe not AS much) fun as I did. Thanks to this site I found the other two Bobbsey Triplets... love you guys! Only wish I could make it to the reunion to see everybody.

Email: Beverly Mosher

Areas of Park: Parking Lot, Security, Rides, Shows, Corporate Office

People to find: I am still trying to locate the red headed Tracy Sanders, Liz Brown (McCoy), Ginny Venable, Tim Karl, James Bell and Betty Butler. Would also love to hear from anybody else who remembers me.

Other info: Still living in Canada with my Canadian hubby Chris, our nearly 3 year old son Nick and we are expecting a second son (Michael) in September.

Thursday, June 07, 2001 at 18:16:04 (CDT)

VIVIAN HARPER

Went by: EDWARDS

Seasons worked: 70-74

I WORKED ON THE TRAIN RIDE AND DID THE SPEIL WITH THAT SOUTHERN DRAWL AND MANY VISITORS WOULD COME UP TO ME AT THE END OF THE TRAIN RIDE AND ASK ME IF THAT WAS REALLY ME TALKING

Email: VIVIAN HARPER

Areas of Park: TEXAS

Thursday, June 07, 2001 at 11:19:13 (CDT)

Elaine Peters

Went by: Elaine Hendrickson

Seasons worked: 1985-1990

So many stories so little time. And so many stories way to embarassing to put in print.

*Sitting in the middle of Spindletop and starting the ride and being thrown against the wall.
*So many great friends that I miss so much.
*Trips to the Georgia and St. Louis parks, oh those bus rides.
*Working the night shift at Spindletop and busting the kids either making out or smoking pot on the path below by shining a flashlight on them.
*My shoes melting on the hot metal of El Sombrero.
*Working a double as the only dispatcher on Log ride and having to beg a supervisor to give me a restroom break
*FYBIJAS (F*&$ You Buster I'm Just a Seasonal) on the back of my name tag.
*First, second, and third loves found and lost.
*Going to Cheddars after work and getting a little to rowdy.
*JR Bentley's after work and getting thrown out for making Foster's beer can pyramids.
*Hearing the same six songs over and over again while working Roto-Disco (gosh that tape accidentally broke alot when I was foreman there).
*Wearing those aweful green skirts those first years (and flashing people from the back of the train when we had to wear them while conducting.
*Throwing large quantities of water on the tire at Conquistador then starting it to see how much smoke we could make.
*Painting the "fruit" in Casa Magnetica while someone was spieling out front so when they picked it up got wet had paint on them.
*Getting under the covers in the bed and snoring during someone elses spiel at Casa Magnetica.
*Someone putting to much dye in Flume I and the entire reservoir had to be drained because is was literally turning people blue.
*Wearing a swimsuit under my uniform and running to the pool for lunch. (on the days we didn't eat chicken fingers and fries).
*Smoozing blue tags for care cards.
*Getting really embarassed by your parents on Parents Day.

Email: Elaine Peters

Areas of Park: Most of the rides best most memorable Train, Log Ride, Spindletop, Roaring Rapids.

People to find: anybody and everybody

Other info: I still live in Arlington (really see no need to move) I work for Ernst & Young, yes an accounting firm, not bad for a dumb blonde. I am happily married and have 2 beautiful little girls, Melissa (5) and Shelby (3).

Tuesday, June 05, 2001 at 16:15:55 (CDT)

Cathy Gorin

Went by: Mego

Seasons worked: 1984-1987

Remember all those wild parties, The Canteen, Employee Nights, the Pool Parties

Email: Cathy Gorin

Areas of Park: Tower, Rapids, Shockwave, Spindletop,

People to find: Richard & Mary Winsett, Gail, Bonnie, Klaus, Adam Ivey

Other info: Married to another former employee of Ride Operations in that same awesome era!

Tuesday, June 05, 2001 at 12:07:28 (CDT)

Kristi Franklin

Went by: Unruh

Seasons worked: 1985-1988

Email: Kristi Franklin

Areas of Park: Texas Chute Out, Cliffhanger, Splashwater Falls, Cave, Operations Office Clerk

Other info: Thanks, Kathleen for searching for me. I can hardly wait to see everyone at the reunion. I married my college sweetheart almost 11 years ago. We have two beautiful daughters-Rachel (8) and Hannah (4). I am a stay-at-home mom and absolutely love it. I am also PTA President, leader in BSF, and very active in our community and church.

Tuesday, June 05, 2001 at 10:14:08 (CDT)

Clayton Phillips

Went by: Clayton

Seasons worked: 1961

Mr. Thompson (personnel/park manager/ supervisor) would ride the River Boat (boat with guide and 15-20 passengers that traversed a "river" past a fort with blazing cannons, settlers/Indians firing guns) usually daily when the park first opened to see that the spiel and the guide were performing "up to his standards." Mr. Thompson was a large man and one day when he entered the boat at the rear and sat down, his weight raised the bow of the boat so high that the front wheel (underwater wheel in a track) came out of the water and stranded that boar at the dock, thus shutting down the ride entirely. Mr. Thompson in good humor exited the boat, several of us had to enter the water to physically push and place the boat back into the "track." Mr. Thompson gave us a hand and that day we passed inspection with flying (somewhat wet) colors.

Email: Clayton Phillips

Areas of Park: River Boar Ride

People to find: Heinz Stocker, portrait painter at Six Flags (and school mate from Arlington High School)

Sunday, June 03, 2001 at 21:01:59 (CDT)

Debra K. Carroll

Went by: Jones

Seasons worked: 1997-2001

One time Tom Haggard gathered part of the crews together to tell them a dirty joke about sixty year people and parts a bathing suit covers.

Email: Debra K. Carroll

Areas of Park: Gotham fries, Gold river, Rapids, flashback, bumper cars, looney land, and rapids again

People to find: Daniel Cates-mine train

Other info: www.angelfire.com/ok3/musicworld.html

Sunday, June 03, 2001 at 08:07:57 (CDT)

Jeffrey Jones

Seasons worked: 1980-81

I also used to work "Spelunker Cave Watch" .. One afternoon a rather large woman and her husband went through on my shift and were being quite amorous. (he had two large handfulls) She yelled, "there's something over there", and I turned on my flashlight under my chin.
I thought she was going to create a new exit on the ride as she tried to jump out of the tub.

Email: Jeffrey Jones

Areas of Park: LaSalles Adventure, and the Railroad

Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 10:28:37 (CDT)

Jackie

Went by: Young

Seasons worked: 1987-1991

This may not be as funny as a little disgusting, but it is one I won't forget. I was standing at CLiffhanger during a windy day, and was watching people come off of Splashwater Falls. This lady of about 50 came off the ride with a white tank top on. It looked like the "tennis balls" in her shirt had fallen to her waist.

Email: Jackie

Areas of Park: Texas

Friday, May 18, 2001 at 11:59:50 (CDT)

Yuri Grotewal

Went by: Yuri

Seasons worked: 1996

So I came in as the first of the foreign employees and well could't really say that they were all prepared for us foreigners taking over the park in our languages. Started out working at chute out and well al lotta people musta noticed that I wasn't a real Texan so some hilarious moment I've had as people wouldn't believe that I was foreign till I started throwing my language at them they'd be ,..

Email: Yuri Grotewal

Areas of Park: Chute Out, Flashback, Judge...

People to find: all the people I either worked with or knew in the park

Other info: I've moved for all the people who had my adress so its: Y. Grotewal Schoenerstraat 258 1784LL Den Helder The Netherlands 031-223-636265

Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 10:09:26 (CDT)

Michael Bond

Seasons worked: 1980-1983

Email: Michael Bond

Areas of Park: La Salle's River Boat, Conquistador, Spelunkers Cave, the Train, Front Gate, Southern Palace....

Monday, May 07, 2001 at 17:53:54 (CDT)

Teri Howard

Went by: Courtney

Seasons worked: 1982-1984

I always remember the wonderful 'fish head' story. And all the times we were closed due to 'technical difficulties'.

Email: Teri Howard

Areas of Park: Shock Wave

People to find: Chris Chaffin, Donna G., Ben ?, Jackie ?, Chantel West, Gary, Drew

Monday, May 07, 2001 at 09:01:02 (CDT)

Kristin Neely

Went by: Temte

Seasons worked: 1980-1982

Email: Kristin Neely

Areas of Park: flume ride, front gate, marketing surveys

Sunday, April 22, 2001 at 21:45:42 (CDT)

mary standlee

Went by: mary winsett

Seasons worked: 1986-1988

1. Any and every thing that happend at Rapids. Having someone who was working as an extra setting at an "sp" (safty position) and asking them to call for a handicap boat so we could get it on the right side. We would ask for some boat # that did not exist and then call them and tell them they missed it and the guest were getting mad that they had to go again, and again.
2. Learning the train speil in "jibberish". To this day I can still recite the dumb thing.
3. Lake Grapevine, Purple Dave's and any other party (one every night)(nothing else need be said if you were there you know).
4. Flings
5. Bus trips.... oh I still laugh
6. My best friend then and still today Danna
7. Friends and the GREAT TIMES !!!!

Email: mary standlee

Areas of Park: conquistador, cliff hanger, Rapids, GT cars, Cave

People to find: Gorge Gibbons, Clause Henning, Bonnie Rodriguez, Benny Kirkham Alan Reno

Saturday, April 07, 2001 at 19:13:20 (CDT)

Lori Corbitt

Went by: Lori Brewster

Seasons worked: 1981-1986

Will never forget working in operations office and letting Sherri call out a code 2(?) whatever, on Roaring Rapids. The blasted thing had broken down and she really wanted to call it out on the radio. I prepped her carefully but her translation was hilarious! " Attention all units, be advised of a code 2 (?) on Roaring Rapids. The boats are off and the pump is in the trough." Of course the phone started ringing instantly. Seems she should of said the pumps are off and the boats are in the trough. Needless to say everyone was freaking out. For those of you who remember me, I can still do a mean cartwheel if the situation calls for it!

Email: Lori Corbitt

Areas of Park: ride operations, games

People to find: anyone who remembers

Other info: I have three kids. Bobby 14, Mandy 12, and Ashley 6. Divorced once, but married now, seem to have found the right guy this time.

Friday, March 30, 2001 at 23:17:40 (CST)

Davida Long

Went by: Biberdorf

Seasons worked: 1977-1978

SFOT was my first real job and what wonderful memories I have. One of the most memorable is the party the second shift parking lot crew and security had one night after the park closed. It was held in the pinic area and we had a lot of "refreshments" (who was going to get us in trouble the security guards were there with us). Well, one very "happy" young man decided to drive his car into the pinic area (at that time was heavily wooded) and he came out without hitting anything. That young man later became my husband of now 21 years.

I loved the "Flings" the park threw for the employees. I was working when they opened the "Shock Wave" and at the "Fling" I rode it at least 15 times, now I wouldn't get on it on a bet.

I was often confused with Cat Devito (because of the similar names Davida, Devito).

There was also the time when I was driving the tram and turned out of the loading area too fast and the back end swung out and clipped another employee on the ankle. The bad thing about it was the guy I clipped was just then beginning to walk normal after a car-tram accident some time before. He limped for a while longer. Sorry.

Email: Davida Long

Areas of Park: Parking Lot

People to find: Greg Brewer, Rick and Bob Canales.

Other info: The last time I knew for sure my husband and I were the only couple who met at SFOT and eventually married. I married Mitch Long September 1, 1979. Our first son Joshua (20) was born July 1980, our second son Jacob (18) was born May 1982 and our daughter Jessica (16) was born October 1984. We lived in Arlington till June 1992 (except for a 5 month period in 1989). Since 1992 we have lived in Ardmore, Oklahoma. Mitch is now a Sr. Operations Manager for the Best Buy distribution center in Ardmore and I am finally a housewife.

Friday, March 30, 2001 at 21:02:25 (CST)

Sharon Brown

Went by: Sharon Brown

Seasons worked: 1977-1979

Email: Sharon Brown

Areas of Park: Dolphin Show, Spindletop, Bumper Cars, Cave

Monday, March 19, 2001 at 08:27:37 (CST)

Kathleen Eyman

Seasons worked: 1986-1988

-Night time at Chute Out, when the roaches would emerge in droves and crunch under our shoes
-Eating at Bobby V's
-Donny Vacanti leading a "round table" discussion by asking "whipped cream or cherry?"
-Claus Henning setting his Everclear on fire (for show) and torching his bar and a pile of coats and purses (not Claus's) in the process
-All of those unspeakable things we did at various Lake Grapevine parties

Email: Kathleen Eyman

Areas of Park: Chute Out, Bumper Cars, Conductors, Cliffhanger, Looney Land

People to find: Kristi Unruh, Tina Dunlap Chamberlain, Tracy High

Other info: After graduating from Harding University I worked in public relations for five years. In 1999 I graduated from Texas Tech law school, and I'm currently working as a contract attorney in Dallas.

Saturday, March 17, 2001 at 17:50:07 (CST)

Cathy Summers

Went by: Mills

Seasons worked: 1985-1988

Email: Cathy Summers

Areas of Park: El Hat, Chute Out, Roto Disco, Cave, Operations Office Clerk

People to find: Kristi Unruh, Tracy High

Other info: After graduating from TCU, I taught middle school for seven years. I married Mark, a fellow horned frog, almost five years ago. I am now a stay at home mom to Ben (3) and Chris (1).

Saturday, March 17, 2001 at 17:16:17 (CST)

Jerry Lonon

Seasons worked: 1976-78

1.all the great friends i met at sfot
2.sweating & sun burning in the chute out sun
3.late nite pizza & beer at pizza inn
4.working double shifts f/ $1.70 an hour
5.double doubles at the canteen
6.a road trip to galveston w/ about a dozen people
7.listening to billy peters wild stories
8.working pre-seasons
9.flings
10.waiting in all the long lines..ha

Areas of Park: chute out, mine train

People to find: anyone who remembers

Other info: i am married w/ one 14 year old son, who wants to work at sfot i live in bedford

Friday, March 09, 2001 at 12:15:40 (CST)

Monica Brasseur

Went by: Monica Knetsch

Seasons worked: 1989-1990

Email: Monica Brasseur

Areas of Park: Yo-Yo & Texas Giant

People to find: Anyone I worked with, but mainly Barry Anderson

Other info: I am a flight attendant for Delta Airlines. I am living in Cincinnati, OH, married to a wonderful man who is a cop in the area.

Thursday, March 01, 2001 at 10:53:33 (CST)

-Get your nostalgic Six Flags Fix here at SFOT.NET

Closed Thread